Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D-50 memories

An absolute classic, and one of my favorite instruments... I never owned one, but I have its little brother (D-20).

I’ve thought about getting the VSTi but I’m disappointed that the polyphony isn’t higher. One of the advantages of recreations is the ability to break through barriers, and I can’t fathom why Roland didn’t allow, 32, 64, 128 voices, etc. like many of its competitors.

Todd

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation, Apogee

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I still have the D-50 I bought in 87. I haven’t used mine in some time.  My LCD display has started to fail.  

The D-50 does a decent approximation of OB-synth brass and strings, plus everything it’s known for. 

I take my D-05 out sometimes.  I use the D-05 to add D-50 pads to my Kronos rig.   The D-05 audio output is more pristine. I prefer the D-05.  I thought I would prefer vintage audio mode but I didn’t.   Only downside in the D-05 is the audio output volume is weak. I turn the volume to max.  

my favorite webpage.
https://www.thekyotoconnection.com/cultofd50/

Great resource if you wish to still use the D-50/D-550/D-05.  I downloaded the entire Valhalla library from here. I have all my old sound cards on hard disk plus a few I didn’t have before. 

Keep the D-50 alive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

11 hours ago, Sundown said:

I’ve thought about getting the VSTi but I’m disappointed that the polyphony isn’t higher. One of the advantages of recreations is the ability to break through barriers, and I can’t fathom why Roland didn’t allow, 32, 64, 128 voices, etc. like many of its competitors.

I've never even noticed. The basic sound is inherently so full that I don't feel the need for more voices. I tend to favor it as a layering resource, overall. Like the Mellotron, it fits a certain slot beautifully and lifts the entire piece. The more classical, non-synth-y brass is awesome. There are solo strings and bells that stand alone nicely, but I wouldn't play stride on its best piano. Your send a D-50 to do a D-50's job. Its a unique creature.

• Like 2

I just emptied out my swear jar and bought a CS-80.
Cussing really pays off!

I bought a Roland D-50 hot off the press back in the late 1980s. Gigged with it a short while.

Traded the D-50 for an Ensoniq VFX-SD mainly because it had a sequencer.

KB gear seemed to change fast and furious back in those days.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Huge fan. Had a D-550 in my rig for over 20 years. One of my favorite applications was to MIDI a D-550 airy/choir pad with some Jupiter strings. Bliss.

Also made good use of the “Fanfare” patch and some of the organs. Never used the famed “Digital Native Dance.”

Still have the D-550, but haven’t fired it up in years.

I immediately procured a D-05 when they became available. VERY faithful replication, I really can’t tell the difference. Thought I would use it live more than I do, probably due to a combination of laziness and a D-50-ish patch or two in my existing boards that are “close enough.”

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

3 hours ago, David Emm said:

I've never even noticed. The basic sound is inherently so full that I don't feel the need for more voices. I tend to favor it as a layering resource, overall. Like the Mellotron, it fits a certain slot beautifully and lifts the entire piece. The more classical, non-synth-y brass is awesome. There are solo strings and bells that stand alone nicely, but I wouldn't play stride on its best piano. Your send a D-50 to do a D-50's job. Its a unique creature.

That’s fair … A complete recording is a collection of parts, and often those parts are a note or two simultaneously. 

But to me, it’s such an easy limitation to blow past with modern computers. And Roland didn’t do it for some reason. 

Todd

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation, Apogee

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I'm also a Trekkie and love that the D-50 was heavily used on ST: TNG:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/box05_disc01.html

80's/90's pop songs, 90's TV soundtracks...it's on the Mt Rushmore of synths for me.

• Like 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

Yeah, my late 80’s slimmed down rig was the D-50 on top the KX-88 triggering the MSK-20 and TX-7. Much easier on the back than the Rhodes.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20 | Mac Studio | Studio Display | Logic Pro

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

24 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Yeah, my late 80’s slimmed down rig was the D-50 on top the KX-88 triggering the MSK-20 and TX-7. Much easier on the back than the Rhodes.

You reminded me that I shortly updated my rig and sold DX7 and MKS-20 for a Korg SG-1d. I liked the MKS-20 but missed having a weighted action. Yes, it was heavier but still not as heavy as Rhodes, which I was dragging around for many years.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251