Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Riding Out the Storm in FL

First, I'm wishing for the safety of everyone living in the path of hurricane Milton as it barrels through parts of Florida. 

Cue up The Doors...

The news has interviewed a few folks who've chose to stay put in their homes as 9'-13' foot storm surges were threatening to make landfall.

Looks like hurricane Milton has gone down to category 2. Winds at 105 mph can still do plenty damage.

Stay safe. Things can be replaced. Life not so easily. No need to collect a Darwin.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm hoping Notes Norton is okay. He lives in Fort Pierce, and I heard a tornado went through there that killed a couple people.

As they say, hide from the wind but run from the water. People were relieved Milton made landfall as a Cat 3, but then again, Katrina was a Cat 3 when it made landfall. Having all that devastation piled on top of the devastation from Helene will be too much for some people to handle. 

I hope there's a minimal amount of suffering and that people can take care of each other. Disasters bring out the best and the worst in people. I hope the best side wins.

• Like 4

I cross my fingers for Notes, his family and prized saxes. I've been through two hurricanes and its very daunting. Flooding in particular can feel crushing to Life As We Knew It. I'm increasingly cringing at how the elements seem to be ramping up a certain seeming, um, hostility. I came across this and wished I could protect my gear from an EMF pulse by laying on it:

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has issued a rare G4, or severe, geomagnetic storm watch for October 10th and 11th, with the storm predicted to hit as early as Thursday morning. The coronal mass ejection (CME) is the result of a class X solar flare that occurred on October 8th. Class X indicates a very powerful flare."

Scary. If we get one of those that knocks out cell phones and traffic lights for a while, be prepared, because here comes "The Purge." Not to be a doomcryer, but simply to say that I cannot run for squat anymore, so I'll be among the first to be eaten.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have no magic powers concerning dentistry or cases involving probate, but my Mellotron epics set Jupiter a-quiver.

3 hours ago, David Emm said:

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has issued a rare G4, or severe, geomagnetic storm watch for October 10th and 11th, with the storm predicted to hit as early as Thursday morning. The coronal mass ejection (CME) is the result of a class X solar flare that occurred on October 8th. Class X indicates a very powerful flare."

The grid's transformers could be protected for $200 million and the grid could be hardened for $2 billion (although those figures are 7 years old, the cost has probably gone up).

• Like 3

I'm going to assume Notes is just one of the millions of people without power. Hopefully he'll be able to check in soon. When I lived in Florida around where he does, the power was out of 12 days after one of the hurricanes. So it's not unexpected that he wouldn't be going online right now.

On 10/11/2024 at 2:15 AM, Anderton said:

The grid's transformers could be protected for $200 million and the grid could be hardened for $2 billion (although those figures are 7 years old, the cost has probably gone up).

That's a great song from an excellent album!

Some songs I've written - https://www.soundclick.com/randomguy

24 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Thanks! I just did a song called Inside the Eye of the Hurricane. I didn't expect it to be timely. 

I like it! Great production as always. Wasn't expecting that note at 2.14. That really threw me. But having listened to that bit again a few more times, I get it. Sweet!

Some songs I've written - https://www.soundclick.com/randomguy

I'm back. That you for your concerns. 

We got lucky. We dropped the storm awnings, put up the shutters, saved water in glass bottles, checked the generator, bought gas (which will now go in our vehicles), got out the emergency radio, and rode out the storm.

When it was over, we had tree branches and palm fronds all over the yard, a PITA to clean up. We lost our landline phone and Internet, and our cell phone was next to worthless. Our worst financial loss was this week's gigs.

Like I said, we got lucky.

I've ridden out every hurricane since the 1960, and I've never seen one with "real" tornadoes, jut little twisters that rip off roof tiles. This was very unusual. 

Our neighborhood is back to normal, we all pitched in to help each other, now it's time for me to go out and help some who weren't so lucky. I'll also be donating blood next week, I'm sure they need some.

Our landline/Internet got back late last night, so today is catching up with everyone day, and I'm counting our blessings.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'm back. That you for your concerns. 

We got lucky. We dropped the storm awnings, put up the shutters, saved water in glass bottles, checked the generator, bought gas (which will now go in our vehicles), got out the emergency radio, and rode out the storm.

When it was over, we had tree branches and palm fronds all over the yard, a PITA to clean up. We lost our landline phone and Internet, and our cell phone was next to worthless. Our worst financial loss was this week's gigs.

Like I said, we got lucky.

I've ridden out every hurricane since the 1960, and I've never seen one with "real" tornadoes, jut little twisters that rip off roof tiles. This was very unusual. 

Our neighborhood is back to normal, we all pitched in to help each other, now it's time for me to go out and help some who weren't so lucky. I'll also be donating blood next week, I'm sure they need some.

Our landline/Internet got back late last night, so today is catching up with everyone day, and I'm counting our blessings.

Yeah this hurricane was a rough ride, glad you survived unscathed with just a mess to clean up.

Recovery of utilities varies.  I was without power for 24 hours, without internet for two days, without full cell service for three days.  Other communities lost utilities over a longer time.

Those tornadoes were scary.   I was tuned in to a couple live streamer channels on youtube and the vids looked like something out of the great plains....not something you expect to see in FL.  I've personally seen a number of tornadoes and waterspouts and they normally are relatively minor in strength).

Not that I really needed more incentive to leave this  state after 55 years---granted, I'll miss my band if I left, but that is it--but damn this last week has sucked.

18 hours ago, Stokely said:

Not that I really needed more incentive to leave this  state after 55 years---granted, I'll miss my band if I left, but that is it--but damn this last week has sucked.

Hopefully, you will be able to find another musical situation wherever you decide to land.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"