Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help finding a keyboard for my dad

Its my dads birthday in 4 days he broke a key on his old cheap keyboard. I want to get him a new one but know nothing about them. Hes mentioned 88 keys, weighted and pedals before when talking about what hed get in the future... What should i get him?

What kinds of music does your dad play/like to listen to?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Take him out to lunch and then to a music store if there's one somewhere close for dessert, your treat of course. Or, do the lunch and give him a gift card from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, or your favorite one. Enjoy your time with him 😁

• Dislike 1

On 8/19/2024 at 6:09 PM, jpgxk3 said:

Take him out to lunch and then to a music store if there's one somewhere close for dessert, your treat of course. Or, do the lunch and give him a gift card from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, or your favorite one. Enjoy your time with him 😁

I like this suggestion. However, what would your dad value more from you?  Words of affirmation from you, quality time with you, a gift from you, a gift of service from you, a "guy to guy" physical hug from you? If he's in his 40s, it will be different than if he's in his 70s. As life gets more hectic for you, or less hectic for him, he might really value your company (or NOT). It depends on what he really values in life at this point in time in HIS life. Take some time to figure this out.

It might take him some time to learn what kind of keyboard he would like, whereas sharing yourself with him might build the relationship between the two of you. 

(I'm a dad who loves music, with a 34 yr. old son who also loves music)

• Dislike 1

Bless you for wanting to do this, but trust me - he already knows what he wants. That's just the way it works with us keyboard players. 

I like the idea of taking him out to dinner, or maybe a gift card to help him get that next keyboard. 

On 8/19/2024 at 11:47 AM, martink93 said:

Its my dads birthday in 4 days he broke a key on his old cheap keyboard. I want to get him a new one but know nothing about them. Hes mentioned 88 keys, weighted and pedals before when talking about what hed get in the future... What should i get him?

C'mon guys.  A gift card may be what you'd like, but this son want's to make a gesture to his old man.  He should get the same help anyone else here would get. Find out his budget, what kind of music his Dad plays, does he play only at home or does he play out,  and what he'd like in a perfect world. He mentioned 88 weighted keys & pedals. Sounds like piano to me. Let's get his budget and make some recommendations.  

• Like 6

I agree with Steve. Kids love getting gift certificates so they can pick what they want, but more often, the parents can easily afford what they want... what they will appreciate more is that you put the time and effort into picking something out, and that maybe you saved them their own research efforts, which is often more valuable to them than the cash value of the gift. Of course it's impossible to be sure of picking the right one, so get it from a place with a good return policy. 😉 But if we have the parameters Steve mentioned, and then maybe ask a few more questions as we go, unless there's something unusual about the situation, I bet we can come up with some likely good suggestions. Remember, we're replacing an "old cheap keyboard." The bar is not high, and the requirements are probably pretty straight-forward. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

To the original poster:

88 weighted keys is very helpful, that provides a starting direction for recommendations. 

Some other questions that will help narrow things further:

1) desired price range - including maximum price you want to pay

2) does it need to have built-in speakers, or does your dad prefer to plug into an amp or similar for sound

3) any other mention of features, selection of sounds, built-in drum rhythms, or anything else you can tell us about product elements

4) does he intend to move it around, and is there a maximum weight that would be ideal

5) what kind of music does he play, and do you know the make and model of the keyboard that just broke

I realize there's a time element to making his birthday, any info you can provide will help us point you to possible options. 

I don't personally hang around on this forum that much these days, but certainly regular members here can use your responses to the questions above to offer up suggestions and advice.

Best of luck to you in your search, and big ups to you for going through the effort to make your dad's birthday special, doing research, and finding your way to this forum. I wish every son was as thoughtful.

Tim

The Kawai ES120 is the finest digital piano in it's class (under $1000)

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

You may well be loaded (rich) in which case, take him shopping and let him choose a new board. Good on you but, as a man in my mid 50’s with kids in their mid/late 20’s still setting out in the world, I couldnt accept an expensive gift off my kids. I have everything I need, and most things I want, and at my age I can afford ‘treats’ even if I can’t always justify them.

Like most have said, I value a small gesture and spending time with them more than an expensive gift which they know I wouldnt accept anyway.

Still, this is your life, your money, and your dad. No one can tell you what is best, but a decent 88 note weighted board will be more expensive than something like a CK61 or Go Keys. Does he want to make music (in which case a workstation), play with sound creation (in which case more a synth), or just play piano (in which case, a decent stage piano)? Lots of options, lots of prices. I like the idea of taking him for lunch and hanging around some music shops for fun (I would love this more than getting a gift!). Once you get a feel for what he wants, and what it costs, you can take it from there based on your finances and personal choice. 

Wish my kids thought of doing something like this for me 😉

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Hi sorry for the slow replies couldn't see the post until I got accepted. Il read down the list and answer what I can.

He likes alsorts of music but he isn't playing any music yet he's still learning the basics. 

I've got a budget of £400 maybe 5 if I do a week of beans on toast lol 

Think the old model is a Casio lk-170 that he got in a deal at Argos last year.

I like the lunch and gift card idea... Mainly because I like eating more than shopping lol

Hel be 64 always enjoyed music but never played till a couple years ago, he has a lot of arthritis so wanted something to keep his hands moving and his brain active when he gets even older and can't do much so he'd value any keyboard ATM just to keep in routine but I'd like to get something half decent for him 

If I had 15k and it was what he wanted he could have it.. but dang 15k is it made of gold lol

He usually uses headphones most the time while playing but think he would want built in speakers for when he's on his own 

I haven't heard or seen him use the other features on the keyboard but guess he would want to use them in the future when his playing gets better

It won't have to be moved around 

A stand would be ideal but he could also build his own if one isn't included 

Thanks for all the replies hope that answers all the questions to give a better idea 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, martink93 said:

I've got a budget of £400 maybe 5

That will get a you perfectly nice basic stage piano (Yamaha, Roland, Casio, Kawai) with perhaps a dozen sounds. If your dad wants to play a wide variety of sounds, then you might want to look secondhand. 

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, martink93 said:

I haven't heard or seen him use the other features on the keyboard but guess he would want to use them in the future when his playing gets better

Just to make sure we at least cover the starting point, what are the features he *does* use? I mean, as far as you know, does he use *any* feature beyond turning it on and playing the default piano sound, or is that as much as he does with it?

If he wants 88 weighted keys and some amount of versatility that is in the range of what the lk-170 could do, I'd suggest Casio CDP-S360 which I think may just be about in budget. If he really doesn't care about doing much beyond playing piano on it (without rhythms/accompaniments or a wide range of additional sounds), the less expensive Casio CDP-S110, Yamaha P45, Korg B2, and Roland FP10 would be the likely short list. (Stands are optional.) Piano sound quality is always going to be somewhat subjective, but of these 5, I'd probably put the CDP-S110 at the bottom and the B2 at the top, but you can also check out some youtube comparisons among various pairs (or more) of these to hear them for yourself.

But my other concern is this:

2 hours ago, martink93 said:

he has a lot of arthritis so wanted something to keep his hands moving and his brain active when he gets even older and can't do much

I have two thoughts about this. One is that this might give an edge to the B2 because I think it has the softest landing. OTOH, some other models might feel a bit lighter overall... and I'm not sure which is the bigger issue for arthritis, maybe someone else can chime in here.

Second, even though he said he'd like a "weighted" keyboard, which typically refers to the hammer action boards as I've been discussing, with arthritis and long-term playing in mind, and also keeping in mind that the very low-end lk-170 is his existing reference point, I'd look at the Korg Liano, which is a very playable "semi-weighted" action that I think is more likely to remain well playable for him for more years (since arthritis tends to get worse over time). So while my suggestions that literally answer his "88 keys, weighted" preference would be the ones I mentioned first, if I take into account those other considerations, Liano might be my first choice, at least if he just wants a nice "piano" and is really not concerned with the things like rhythms/accompaniments or lots of additional sounds.

Maybe you could ask him some questions that will help you decide which of these approaches he's likely to be happiest with.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, martink93 said:

Hi sorry for the slow replies couldn't see the post until I got accepted. Il read down the list and answer what I can.

He likes alsorts of music but he isn't playing any music yet he's still learning the basics. 

I've got a budget of £400 maybe 5 if I do a week of beans on toast lol 

Think the old model is a Casio lk-170 that he got in a deal at Argos last year.

I like the lunch and gift card idea... Mainly because I like eating more than shopping lol

Hel be 64 always enjoyed music but never played till a couple years ago, he has a lot of arthritis so wanted something to keep his hands moving and his brain active when he gets even older and can't do much so he'd value any keyboard ATM just to keep in routine but I'd like to get something half decent for him 

If I had 15k and it was what he wanted he could have it.. but dang 15k is it made of gold lol

He usually uses headphones most the time while playing but think he would want built in speakers for when he's on his own 

It won't have to be moved around 

A stand would be ideal but he could also build his own if one isn't included 

Thanks for all the replies hope that answers all the questions to give a better idea 

If the health issues allow it, I would vote for the Korg B2. I got one some months ago and like its keybed over most of the digital pianos weighted actions I have access to. Mine was used but like new, and priced at about 250€, shipped. Maybe a good used one makes sense in this case so, if it does not fit him, could be sold with basically no loses 

Something I've read on the Korg B2 that would concern me is about the sustain pedal. The pedal jack is underneath (maybe @Jose EB5AGV can confirm the piano can still be played on a tabletop if there isn't a stand) and the pedal jack itself is proprietary (the pedal is not good quality but can't be switched out with common 3rd party sustain pedals if desired).

I'd probably go for something Yamaha (P125-225) with more brand recognition and most likely more availability.

Here for the gear.

6 minutes ago, drawback said:

Something I've read on the Korg B2 that would concern me is about the sustain pedal. The pedal jack is underneath

Interesting point that I wasn't aware of. I have the step-up XE20 (which adds a lot more sounds, splits/layers, rhythm/accompaniment, 1/4" line outs, more powerful speaker system) and while it has that same pedal and connector, it also has a standard 1/4" pedal connector on the back that you can use instead with any common pedal (of the proper polarity).

My daughter plays. She is primarily a brass player. Euphonium is what she plays in bands and orchestras.  She really likes her Yamaha DGX series.  88 weighted keys, decent sounds and a bunch of features you would find on commercial grade boards like your father’s Casio.   As far as budget I have no idea. If it isn’t US dollars then I’m lost. 

PS - I’m sure Casio and other brands have an equivalent.  I only recommend things I have laid hands on.  

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, drawback said:

Something I've read on the Korg B2 that would concern me is about the sustain pedal. The pedal jack is underneath (maybe @Jose EB5AGV can confirm the piano can still be played on a tabletop if there isn't a stand) and the pedal jack itself is proprietary (the pedal is not good quality but can't be switched out with common 3rd party sustain pedals if desired).

I'd probably go for something Yamaha (P125-225) with more brand recognition and most likely more availability.

Yes, it uses a proprietary sustain pedal connector. You can do an adaptor using a cheap (about 7€) spare triple pedal unit cable from Korg and a 1/4" socket (I have got the parts to do it). But the unit can sit flat with the original cable, no problem on that

• Like 1

Budget of £400 is not much ($500+ US). Hard to get 88 weighted keys + 3 pedals. Might have to give up either on number of keys or weighted or just 1 sustain pedal. I like Casio boards with built in speakers - good piano sound, comfortable action, sustain pedal. I would look at Casio models like the Casio CDP-S360.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.