Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio CT-S1-76 vs Korg Liano vs... YC61?

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

I've never experienced playing a DP with both internal speakers and an external amp going simultaneously, which might explain me not missing any "vibrations." Is this really a thing?  

I have no idea about "vibrations,"  but the house yamaha p-125 at one of my weekly gigs always has both internal speakers and amp (DXR10), plus FOH DI going and it is much more enjoyable playing experience than without the internals on.

Yes, absolutely. When you play an acoustic piano, you "feel" the sensation of what you're playing from the vibrations created by the instrument. Keyboards with speakers can do this as well, unless they're too quiet. I find it quite noticeable, it makes the keyboard more "real" feeling. Yes, a more enjoyable playing experience than with the speakers off, even if you're hearing enough from other speakers that the "extra sound" coming from them is negligible.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The speakers/vibration effect is the sole reason I still own a Roland EP760 

I wish the modern semi weighted 76/88 key boards had the facility to keep the speakers on when hooking up to amps/FOH etc. I do have an NP32 and a Liano, and the samples are clearly better than the old EP760 but the speakers are much better on the 760 and it has the proper audio outs.

I seem to remember Kawai, I think on the ES100 (or it may have been the original Roland FP30), enabling speakers to stay ON when plugging into the headphone/line out. If companies really want to cut proper audio outs, I wish they would include this feature. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

3 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

I wish the modern semi weighted 76/88 key boards had the facility to keep the speakers on when hooking up to amps/FOH etc.  

fwiw, as mentioned above, Yamaha p-125 (weighted) does this as well as Ck61, ck88 (weighted) and numa compact 2x.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

fwiw, as mentioned above, Yamaha p-125 (weighted) does this as well as Ck61, ck88 (weighted) and numa compact 2x.

Yes, I think the Numa is the only semi weighted piano style keyboard with a minimum of 76 keys, speakers and dedicated quarter inch line outs. 

The recent Alesis model has RCA outs. 

Regardless, I wouldn’t rank the Alesis or the Numa as competitive with the Korg Liano in terms of the quality of the piano samples and, I think, I might even prefer the old Roland EP760 to the Alesis/Numa offerings.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Onboard stereo speakers offer the solo pianist a centered sweet spot in the stereo field. In contrast, sound from an external amp can be off-axis, producing a strange, scooped, and out-of-phase quality. I don't enjoy playing with such an out-of-phase sound. The size of the output jacks (1/4", RCA, stereo mini plug, etc) does not affect this issue.

I'd replace my Casio CT-S1 with a CT-S1-76 tomorrow if I could keep its stereo speakers on when using a little sidekick amp for solo gigs. A "sidekick amp" typically refers to a small, portable amplifier used to supplement the main sound system or provide additional amplification for a solo performer. It’s often used for gigs where a full PA system isn't available or necessary. The term suggests a secondary, supportive role rather than the primary amplification source.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

59 minutes ago, Jazz+ said:

Onboard stereo speakers offer the solo pianist a centered sweet spot in the stereo field. In contrast, sound from an external amp can be off-axis, producing a strange, scooped, and out-of-phase quality. I don't enjoy playing with such an out-of-phase sound. The size of the output jacks (1/4", RCA, stereo mini plug, etc) does not affect this issue.

I'd replace my Casio CT-S1 with a CT-S1-76 tomorrow if I could keep its stereo speakers on when using a little sidekick amp for solo gigs. A "sidekick amp" typically refers to a small, portable amplifier used to supplement the main sound system or provide additional amplification for a solo performer. It’s often used for gigs where a full PA system isn't available or necessary. The term suggests a secondary, supportive role rather than the primary amplification source.

Could it be done with some sort of splitter or adapter on the Headphone output?

btw funny you guys mention the EP760... I had this board for many many years, my parents got it to me when I was a child, I ended up donating it to a local community center I worked in a couple of years ago. That thing was with me most of my life and I even used it with my high school band lol.

• Like 1

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

No, it could not be done with a splitter on the Casio CT-S1 or 76. As soon as you engage the Headphones Out the internal speakers are defeated.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

57 minutes ago, Jazz+ said:

No, it could not be done with a splitter on the Casio CT-S1 or 76. As soon as you engage the Headphones Out the internal speakers are defeated.

solder and/or wirecutters often can fix that.  headphone jack insertion shorts lead to speaker out. disconnect that short, and bob's yer uncle. there's tutorials out there in googlyland for several similar situations. obviously you void your warranty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

solder and/or wirecutters often can fix that.  headphone jack insertion shorts lead to speaker out. disconnect that short, and bob's yer uncle. there's tutorials out there in googlyland for several similar situations. obviously you void your warranty.

I’ve thought about trying to do something like that, but wasn’t sure if there might be other issues. For example, if a keyboard was designed to cut the speakers when headphones were in use, would it come with an amplifier that could simultaneously drive the speakers and an external load? (Though I’m not even sure if that is a real problem!)

I once opened up a Casio to try this, but the thing you'd have to disconnect (to prevent the disconnection of the speaker) is not accessible. IIRC, you'd have to completely remove the old jack and install (solder and mount) an entirely different replacement jack, one which has the necessary piece exposed so that it can be disabled.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

23 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I once opened up a Casio to try this, but the thing you'd have to disconnect (to prevent the disconnection of the speaker) is not accessible. IIRC, you'd have to completely remove the old jack and install (solder and mount) an entirely different replacement jack, one which has the necessary piece exposed so that it can be disabled.

With all the ink regarding headphone cutting internal speakers issue is attracting, I wouldn't be surprised to see a revised Casio CT-S1/76 in the near future.   Casio tends to pay attention to user remarks.

Steve Coscia

15 minutes ago, SteveCoscia said:

With all the ink regarding headphone cutting internal speakers issue is attracting, I wouldn't be surprised to see a revised Casio CT-S1/76 in the near future.   Casio tends to pay attention to user remarks.

I'm sure that will happen right after they release the updated version of the PX-5s that users have remarked about since 2013.  ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Soo today I went to 2 of the biggest stores in my city, none has any of these models AFAIK. No YC61, no Liano, no Casio CT-S1 or 76 and no CK61.

They do stock quite a few hammonds including SKX Pro, Hammond Solo and XK-4... and the new Roland GO:Keys 3 + 5 with the super springy action, as well as the newest Yamaha NP Piaggero.

Luckily I do know how the CT-S1 feels and sounds. I wish I could feel the CK-61 just for funzies. The MODX-7+ in the store was surprisingly premium feeling, I expected a much cheaper feel keyboard and especially keybed. For example, The Blue MX61 and novation summit felt so much worse in comparison, and I would venture to say the the MODX action is not too shabby at all.

So I'm left with one option which is buy online from Thomann ! Will update about that.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

1 hour ago, Chummy said:

Seems like there is no bag compatible with the CT-S1 76 btw? On casio's website no accessories, and Thomann doesn't list anything with similar width / depth dimensions. How weird !

Same deal with the Liano; Korg's own recommended bag is too big. I was turned on to this site: https://studioslips.com. They are making me one to the exact dimensions of the keyboard. I went there and the CT-S1 76 is not among the Casio models listed, so you need to send them the dimensions. They're not cheap, but I didn't want a generic bag my Liano was going to flop around in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Same deal with the Liano; Korg's own recommended bag is too big. I was turned on to this site: https://studioslips.com. They are making me one to the exact dimensions of the keyboard. I went there and the CT-S1 76 is not among the Casio models listed, so you need to send them the dimensions. They're not cheap, but I didn't want a generic bag my Liano was going to flop around in.

Does anyone know of a UK equivalent?

I’m struggling to find a Liano soft case? Would also like a decent soft case for the Grandstage. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Yeah just finding a softcase solution etc. seems to be more expensive if you need it to be custom made.. Unless somebody knows of an already existing sofcase that matches it . I am not sure . It's actually a big consideration for me honestly. I've realized due to understanding that busking is illegal where I am from, that the battery operation does not longer matter to me. And maybe, that way I could buy a better board for more money . If I were ONLY playing in bands I'd get the YC61 now. My thing is that I need a board for solo "piano bar" gigs too. Ideally a 73-76 one. I'm still thinking about what to do but I gotta order it like fast.

On 8/21/2024 at 10:48 AM, Chummy said:

Seems like there is no bag compatible with the CT-S1 76 btw? On casio's website no accessories, and Thomann doesn't list anything with similar width / depth dimensions. How weird !

I have found that bags intended to hold a rifle often are good  options for keyboard bags. This one would fit the CT-S1-76 nicely.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R5CRBWH/?coliid=I2L3T96X2SWCYT&colid=1NIVPYIK7FOPS&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 6:27 PM, Jazz+ said:

I use my Casio CT-S1 (with the Bluetooth adapter) as a MIDI controller keyboard and an iPad as my sound source. I have a Korg PlugKey connected to my iPad. The PlugKey has left (mono) and right 1/4 inch outputs and also a 1/8 inch stereo headphone jack. I run a cable from the PlugKey headphone jack to the Audio In on the CT-S1 and TS cables to my stereo amp. This allows me to use the on-board speakers and an external amp at the same time. Unfortunately, Korg stopped manufacturing the PlugKey a few years ago.  https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/plugkey/ 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

@JamieT sounds like find a great solution. Sadly I can't find the Korg Plugkeys second hand locally :(

Also, I can't seem to find anybody who deals with  Stay compact stand. Thomann does have several Stay stands, but neither the slim nor the compact (the latter is which I'm particularly interested in). They only have the big ones or those with a couple of tiers etc. Possible to buy this in the EU ?

6 hours ago, JamieT said:

I have found that bags intended to hold a rifle often are good  options for keyboard bags. This one would fit the CT-S1-76 nicely.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R5CRBWH/?coliid=I2L3T96X2SWCYT&colid=1NIVPYIK7FOPS&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Unfortunately can't be sent to EU / Hungary for some reason, I guess it is classified as a firearm product. Even though it is a case. IDK.

Thanks for the find anyway. Weird to me what was casio thinking - to make a portable keyboard but no case.. and nothing close exists in the market? the client base for this is people who move it around and need it protected from rain, dirt etc.

I also discovered rifle cases, especially for slim keyboards and also for my EWI Solo wind synth. In fact, I think I got the idea from this forum, which I love.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading this thread over time, one of these Liano thingies just popped up down the street for crazy, dirt cheap on FB. (some non-musician Wall $treeter bought it and never got around to using it. The included stand was still in the sealed box)  Bought it, but haven't even turned it on yet. Hope y'all's assessments hold true when i fire it up in the morning.   If so, this hooked to an Iphone seems like a back friendly, "get to the gig in an Uber" rig.  Already passed the "fit in the car backseat sideways" test. ;) 

With some good VIs in your iPhone you should be happy with that Liano. One thing though - when Korg calls their action "light touch", you should believe them! I find it quite light but springy enough to work with.

Take the money you saved over buying it new at a dealer and apply it to the custom-fit bag from Studio Slips I posted about earlier in this thread. SInce that post, I've received mine and can vouch for its quality. It fits the Liano like a glove - unlike any other 88-key bag, including the one Korg recommends for it.

And mine was the first bag for the Liano (it wasn't listed on their website, now it is). Surprising because the Liano has been around a few years and there are no bags that fit it well (until now!). I think most people buying it are beginners that use it at home, not on gigs.