Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: keyboard with the best stock sounds

On 8/7/2024 at 9:30 AM, Zydecat said:

Yamaha YC73 for me.  I really like most of the stock sounds.  There are a limited number of stock sounds for AP, EP, Organ, Flute, Strings, etc., but the ones there are really good in my opinion.  It matches up well with my SKPro and franken Leslie, but the YC73 organ sounds great on it's own.  I use the YC73 alone for one off gigs, jams, and the like.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread and going OT, but I've not been able to get my hands on a YC73 to try out. 

How easy and/or difficult is it to do organ chops on the YC73?  I know it's a lightly weighted balanced hammer action.  FWIW I've found that it's easier for me to play piano on a good semi-weighed action (e.g. Kurz SP76, PC4-7) than it is for me to play organ on any weighted hammer action board I've ever played. 

Gigs: Nord 5D 73 & Stage 4 Compact, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

On 8/3/2024 at 3:27 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

Only one mention of Roland on this thread and it was negative. It seems that few or none of the respondants use much synth sounds. 

To quote Arte Johnson " very intetesting".....

I use a Roland FA-07 as one of my two boards. It's specialty is sounds that sound mediocre when you test them standalone, but end up being very useful in a 6 or 7 piece band, and sit just right in the mix. I've got my favorite sounds there for Just A Girl, Cake By the Ocean, Xs & Os, Life in the Fast Lane, and Working for the Weekend. I use an FA-07 organ sound on one song (Hazy Shade of Winter - Bangles) because we really want a thin organ sound on that one. I even use the FA-07 AP sound on some songs, despite the Nord White Grand superiority, because sometimes I don't want my AP sound that present. And my Nord Stage will never get anywhere close to Roland's split capabilities. I admit the Roland will not win any sound quality contest for AP EP or organ. 

If like anotherscott said that this thread has moved to an ap, ep and organ discussion then the kurzweil Forte needs to be mentioned. i often gig with it solo. I usually use a vent/burn to help the leslie but i've done a dozen or more shows with the internal leslie that i've managed to coax a pretty good single leslie that is actually much better than the PC3's. All sounds in that board are top notch.

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

This one's easy, and purely subjective.

Piano: Montage M8X

Rhodes: Montage M8X or CK88

Organ: Roland VR760

Hardware

Yamaha CK88, DX7, MX61, PSR-530, PSS-270/Korg Karma/Roland VR-760, E-36/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Alesis QuadraSynth, QS Plus Piano/Behringer Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

I would say that Kawai has an edge with actions (I own an MP11), but I don't know whether their acoustic piano sounds are better than the competition. If I'm doing a solo piece I'm typically using Ivory. MP11 has an incredible action, but it's not a mobile instrument by any stretch (unless you have two people). 

I do like the Rhodes on the MP11 (the first EP selection). 

I can't really comment on organs, but it sure seems like Nord has some strong offerings in the Stage 4, etc.

Todd

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation, Apogee

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I think the best compromise is probably a newer Nord board but there isn't one board that excels in each sound category.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR