Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha should make 76-key keyboards that have a range of A0-C7

The range issue of the 76-key boards have been discussed many times here before so far, but I want Yamaha to make a 76-key instrument that has an A0-C7 (from the lowest A to the 2nd highest C on the 88-key piano) range.

When the lowest note is an E, my left hand keeps falling off the keyboard. Wouldn't it be better to chop off the seldom-used top octave (while still keeping the C7 note) rather than removing the bass notes?

Unfortunately, only a very few keyboards have such range, like the Prophet T8, VAX-77, CME VX-7, CME VX-70, etc. Yamaha doesn't make any keyboards with that range at all. (In fact, over 90% of all 76-key boards are E1-G7.)

I wish if Yamaha would make a keyboard (like PSR or NP) that has the A-to-C 76-key range.

Anyone agree with me?

(Plus, the 73-key keyboards, like the CP-73 or P-121, should be C1-C7 rather than E1-E7, in my opinion.)

33 minutes ago, Kyubiwan said:

I wish if Yamaha would make a keyboard (like PSR or NP) that has the A-to-C 76-key range.

Anyone agree with me?

Yes. Many folks agree with you that A-C 76 keys would be a great option to have. It covers the piano range better (AND matches the B3 range better with an upper C) while reducing weight and size for easier transport while accommodating smaller stages or rooms.

A-C 76 easily allows for a simple 1 octave jump to catch the (in my case) rarely used upper octave, and that quick jump can be assigned to a footswitch for instant access should it be needed. 

Some of us also especially want the A-C 76 option with non-weighted action so a single keyboard would also work well for non-piano performance such as organ and synths.

Like many others I personally have no problem playing piano parts on a non-weighted keyboard, although I know that some folks aren't as used to doing that and carry two keyboards for that reason. I don't like a weighted action for organs and synths because it interferes with the speed and techniques I use for those instrumental parts.

I do like using a single keyboard for all keyboard parts to simplify setup and transport, especially since I also generally bring and play other instruments as well.

As in past threads, you'll probably get a lot of responses saying they like other sizes and key ranges - as if having a A-C 76 choice would be a negative. But that's not what you're asking for here. You're not asking "who doesn't want A-C 76." Those folks already have the choices they want. Good for them.

For those of us who want the A-C 76 option, it would be great to have that choice generally supported.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Kyubiwan said:

I'm wondering why Yamaha is being singled out among manufacturers. 

Then, I see PSR or NP and read...76 keys on a diet, er, budget.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 hours ago, stoken6 said:

We've had threads on this in the past. I would prefer 77-notes C-E or 80-note C-G. I don't want to lose the entire top octave. Others like the low E for left-hand bass as it aligns with a bass guitar, plus high C aligns with Hammond.

By the way, this controller has 6.25oct A-C: https://www.worlde.com.cn/products_44/47.html

Cheers, Mike.

Or, 80-note A-to-E, 78-note C-to-F could also be nice.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

As both a P-125 and P-121 owner, Yamaha should make keyboards that don't have shitty organs, too.

Entry level P line, yes shitty organs.  They could easily do better there with better samples, I've no idea why they don't.  You could throw a reasonably inexpensive reface YC on top to supplement that.

Or jump tier to the CK to get that same organ built in.   

After that, pony up for Yamaha YC, Genos or Montage to get better organs.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 7/25/2024 at 1:37 AM, Meta said:

Yes. Many folks agree with you that A-C 76 keys would be a great option to have. It covers the piano range better (AND matches the B3 range better with an upper C) while reducing weight and size for easier transport while accommodating smaller stages or rooms.

A-C 76 easily allows for a simple 1 octave jump to catch the (in my case) rarely used upper octave, and that quick jump can be assigned to a footswitch for instant access should it be needed. 

Some of us also especially want the A-C 76 option with non-weighted action so a single keyboard would also work well for non-piano performance such as organ and synths.

Like many others I personally have no problem playing piano parts on a non-weighted keyboard, although I know that some folks aren't as used to doing that and carry two keyboards for that reason. I don't like a weighted action for organs and synths because it interferes with the speed and techniques I use for those instrumental parts.

I do like using a single keyboard for all keyboard parts to simplify setup and transport, especially since I also generally bring and play other instruments as well.

As in past threads, you'll probably get a lot of responses saying they like other sizes and key ranges - as if having a A-C 76 choice would be a negative. But that's not what you're asking for here. You're not asking "who doesn't want A-C 76." Those folks already have the choices they want. Good for them.

For those of us who want the A-C 76 option, it would be great to have that choice generally supported.

Yeah exactly! Yamaha, you should definitely read this!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In much agreement here.  Personally I’d go for the C to C arrangement- the B, Bb and A start to get muddy anyways, but having the C-Eb keys on the lowest octave is wonderful.

For other reasons besides, I transposed my Numa X73 Piano down an octave so that I’ve got as much range on the bottom as desired.  Not sure how a pedal for transposing would be very helpful- you’d need two of them, the 2d one for reversing the transposing.

Yes, I can understand various reasons for the current ‘popularity’ with manufacturers for the E being the low note, but I imagine that for people with a piano background, it just feels truncated.  I say, when voices are scant, leave OUT the damn harpsichord.  And I say, when notes are few and a shorter width is desired, give us at least a C in the lowest register!!!

• Love 1

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

As a diehard Rhodes player I'm happy that both my NumaX 73 and my Nord Stage 76 start (end?) with a low E. I wouldn't have it any other way. Octave shift solves the problem of left hand falling off the bottom.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...