Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lester K and Strymon Lex Mk1 - How close to Neo Ventilator?

On 7/24/2024 at 2:27 PM, AnotherScott said:

Can you point out (i.e. a time reference) to where you're hearing the differences/strangeness? (Assuming it's not just what I mentioned myself in that preceding paragraph I referenced.)

ciao, 

forgive me for the delay (I was not able to use my pc during last days...)

Yes, there are many differences with the real one, as it happens with almost all clonewheels.
Also, who knows if that real one is in good conditions?

(but a real one, also if with "problems", sounds almost always good - and always "real"  -🙂).

Starting from 2:14 there are two completely different sound characters.
Yes, you can adjust the leakage (maybe one of the "digital taste" elements) but the keyclick is different (in all parts of the video) and the basic sound is different.
At 4:00 some difference depending on the octave you are using (with full organ is the main theme for all clonewheels).

At 4:24 more noticeable different sound characters (digital).

At 7:08 (the chorus is good, by the way) you can feel the "thinner" signal from the clone.

etc. etc. (during all the video)

But yes, again, if you put the clone with real leslie in a mix... who can say if it's the real one or not? 🙂 

The level of this and other clones today is getting better and better...

(they only need - all of them - the right leslie simulation, that seems like the hardest part to reproduce)

🍻🍻🍻🍻

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KRK said:

Starting from 2:14 there are two completely different sound characters.

Not so much. At 2:14, he pulls out the three drawbars on his C3. At 2:25 he does the same on the MSolo, but realizes that he has that board's Leslie sim engaged (so we're hearing the MSolo with its rotary sent through to the actual Leslie). At 2:29, he realizes his error and hit the Bypass for the MSolo internal sim, so now we're comparing apples to apples. Then he proceeds to bring the MSolo up to better level-match the two. By 2:47, he's got them close. No they still don't sound identical here, but just by virtue of disabling the board's internal rotary sim and matching levels, it's a whole lot closer than it was at 2:14. 🙂

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Still didnt make my mind, as the Lester K´s in our local Ebay, comes and goes and money is a little tight. Thanks for all the inputs, I´m reading them all and considering every opinion. Kind of a related question:

Is it possible to use an overdrive pedal post leslie sim "musically" and "kind of reallistically" or not? I´m thinking Ian McLagan/Gregg Rollie kind of overdriven organ. Or does it sound too strange?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

On 8/20/2024 at 12:46 PM, To B3 said:

Is it possible to use an overdrive pedal post leslie sim "musically" and "kind of reallistically" or not? I´m thinking Ian McLagan/Gregg Rollie kind of overdriven organ. Or does it sound too strange?

Don't think it's something that very many people would recommend doing. It will definitely sound a little strange, (I've experimented with that) but depending on how it's used it might be ok for something "different" once in a while, otherwise I wouldn't bother going there. The rotary effect before the OD pedal will modulate your drive which isn't something you want happening.   

On 8/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, To B3 said:

It's possible (almost anything is possible) but not recommended.  Ths same reason Greg Lounsberry does not recommend using his tall and fat pedal after the leslie sim.  It needs to be before the leslie otherwise you get very strange results that will be noticeably wierd sounding since the leslie will modulate the overdrive unnaturally.  You certainly wont get the sound that you are looking for.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Listen to Dave.  All dirt pedals to a varying degree are essentially compressors.  Dirt pedals and compressor are sensitive to  input amplitude.  A leslie output by design when spinning generates signals of  increasing and decreasing amplitude,  It will sound weird.  More you increase the gain knob weirder it will get.  In a real Leslie your tube compression happens in the amp or earlier ... before it hits the rotors.  If you are clipping at the speaker you fry horn drivers,=.  That is why I used EV or Atlas drivers.  I smoked too many Jensens playing in Rock bands.

But we are just talking about pedals ... so try it if you want.  It won't hurt anything.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

On 7/29/2024 at 8:17 AM, Delaware Dave said:

In a loud rock band environment the keyclick differences cant be heard, in fact keyclick itself gets lost.....

Well, 'says you' is a valid reply here as I've heard first hand wonderfully pronounced keyclick from background to forefront B3 players that made me happy quite often.

For example, I have a FrankenB3 so ugly but modded so gdamn right it'll never be leaving my hands and home.  Same goes for a Bill Beer chop in tone, but no pedals so - not for my average usage.

On 8/20/2024 at 12:46 PM, To B3 said:

Still didnt make my mind, as the Lester K´s in our local Ebay, comes and goes and money is a little tight. Thanks for all the inputs, I´m reading them all and considering every opinion. Kind of a related question:

Why not purchase from the Zon and try it out (nearly a month to do so roughly?). The one thing about the Zon is returnability is made eazy peazy.

If in states:

Electro-Harmonix Lester K Stereo Rotary Speaker Emulator Pedal https://a.co/d/7SVznkB

Or go outright with stated used mint (I normally hunt good-used first always):

Used Electro-Harmonix Lester K Stereo Rotary Speaker https://reverb.com/item/84325329?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=84325329