Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie's 88 key Suitcase Rhodes For Sale : 15K

Plus there's an audition involved. Whoever knew that just cash alone wasn't good enough!

The "custom chair" is an extra $150. I'll tell you what....I'll give you 15K cash right now for the Rhodes, if of course I pass the audition,  but not a dime over $10 for the chair, deal? :classic_laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2040713709689664/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

• Like 1

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I wonder what the seller’s quals were considering he did a fairly extensive rebuild? And, no thanks on the chair……

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I wish he would offer a piece of one of his Armani suites, maybe from the extra cuff material at the bottom for an extra $150... I really want that for my back pocket mojo doll 😁......still probably a very nice axe with or w/o the cuff material ......

Throw in the chair for chrissake....

... but I do love ya Herbie 

• Like 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

7 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Plus there's an audition involved. Whoever knew that just cash alone wasn't good enough!

The "custom chair" is an extra $150. I'll tell you what....I'll give you 15K cash right now for the Rhodes, if of course I pass the audition,  but not a dime over $10 for the chair, deal? :classic_laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2040713709689664/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

I'm sure for the right offer money is enough, maybe that's the strategy... Make things difficult to get and their price rockets (expensive wristwatch sales strategy, limited editions, existing customers are first in line, etc).

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

This ties back to another thread I believe in the SSS forum about perceived value of things.

Regardless of price, Herbie's Rhodes will not ship with the most important ingredient...his magic fairy dust.

Otherwise, there's probably quite a few old KBs floating around that Herbie has touched or played.

A potentially good business opportunity could be rounding up every KB that legends have laid hands on, restoring as necessary and selling for a nice profit.😁😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Guessin' the seller hopes not too many people heard the Terrace Martin interview when he was asked about vintage gear.   Terrace said people see old photos of great musicians playing what is now old gear,  he said they forget all that was new gear when that picture was taken.   Musician didn't care about the age they just wanted good gear.   Terrace says when working with Herbie he mentioned saw a vintage Rhodes for sale.   Herbie said why would I want that, I can just pull up Keyscape and dial in a really good Rhodes sound. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

A potentially good business opportunity could be rounding up every KB that legends have laid hands on, restoring as necessary and selling for a nice profit.😁😎

That reminds me of an old Monty Python line about someone putting his kids through college selling pieces of the One True Cross. :/

The best keyboards I've ever played were the ones that didn't clack or spew springs. Four remaining molecules of Herbie's mojo under the tines won't make you a better player. I got to see him live and TBH, I wouldn't presume to play just the opening bass notes to "Chameleon." I know my place in the keyboard universe. :Python:  

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

Terrace says when working with Herbie he mentioned saw a vintage Rhodes for sale.   Herbie said why would I want that, I can just pull up Keyscape and dial in a really good Rhodes sound. 

My first question was "Why is he selling it?" And there's my answer thank you :)

9 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

My first question was "Why is he selling it?" And there's my answer thank you :)

The way it reads to me Herbie already sold it and the person who bought it from Herbie is now selling it.     I'm surprised he doesn't mention who did the restoration work that would be important to know for that kind of money.   

23 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

Keyscape is (still) great...but compared to a real rhodes there are limitations.

For one you no longer have an instrument with it's own voice and character.  You have what every other Keyscape owner has.
A fair amount of tone at hand, yes but still limited.
Next is the 'how'. You're at the whim of every (pretty lame) controller today.  The feel is compromised, the strike and touch, the ring, tone and more that comes with playing a real rhodes all factor in your performances and tone.
Outboard FX via a real rhodes far outshines any of the built in FX (in any vst) in almost every facet of play.  They're far more musical. They become part of the instrument rather than an intermediary between with VSTs.

This applies to the wurly, the B3/Hammond and ac piano.  The differences have been argued and outlined for years now. The end result almost always favors the original vintage.

Yes, maintenance is inherent but I don't know of many instruments that don't require this.

23 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

The end result almost always favors the original vintage.

...for people who have some vested interest in the original vintage.

If Herbie Hancock is fine with a modern equivalent then any other argument is really just romanticism, or snake oil.

Otherwise you're accusing Herbie Hancock of lacking discernment in his understanding of sound, and his sensitivity around playing an instrument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Baggypants said:

vested interest in the original vintage.

Yes, people who perform on vintage Rhodes piano.

This is in regard to the instrument itself not the people surrounding it.

No matter who owned an instrument before you you're still going to sound like you.  No matter how much work you put in to be like <fill in the blank> you will always be you.   

9 hours ago, Baggypants said:

...for people who have some vested interest in the original vintage.

If Herbie Hancock is fine with a modern equivalent then any other argument is really just romanticism, or snake oil.

Otherwise you're accusing Herbie Hancock of lacking discernment in his understanding of sound, and his sensitivity around playing an instrument.

That's true on the one hand, of course, but on the other hand I thought it was a shame that he never had a Rhodes with him when I saw him live over the last few decades. What he does on his Kronos has never knocked my socks off... quite unlike his playing on the grand piano.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Shin buster.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I will never buy any old junk, with one exception, I could imagine a Jupiter 6 if in good condition and not priced like one or two good months salary before tax, but only because there are no options, I am still hoping that Uli will take care of this and deliver us a Jupiter 6 with 16 voices one day!

(Jupiter 8 is heavily overrated imnsfho) 

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

8 hours ago, 1203 said:

That's true on the one hand, of course, but on the other hand I thought it was a shame that he never had a Rhodes with him when I saw him live over the last few decades. What he does on his Kronos has never knocked my socks off... quite unlike his playing on the grand piano.

Herbie Hancock has always explored KB technology.

Back in the mid-1980s, Herbie replaced his Rhodes with a Yamaha DX7 & KX88 MIDI controller.

i believe Herbie Hancock has self-actualized as a musician to the point where he knows folks will come out to hear him play his body of work on any type of KB instrument.

Sure, musicians will have their preferences for the gear onstage but the concert isn't about them at all.😁

2 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I will never buy any old junk, with one exception, I could imagine a Jupiter 6 if in good condition and not priced like one or two good months salary before tax, but only because there are no options...

One person's Jupiter 6 is someone else's junk.🤣

Good luck finding that J6 in good condition at a reasonable price.😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

21 minutes ago, ProfD said:

😁

One person's Jupiter 6 is someone else's junk.🤣

Good luck finding that J6 in good condition at a reasonable price.😎

I keep my hope up for Uli, 16 voices is a lot more than 6!!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

4 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

I keep my hope up for Uli, 16 voices is a lot more than 6!!

As you already know, the Jupiter 6 is an analog, subtractive synth with 2 VCOs, 2 LFOs and 1 resonant multi-filter. 

While I'd imagine the J6 has its own magic fairy dust, there's no shortage of brand new modern synths capable of catching that flavor and more.😁

Considering his affinity for analog synths especially Roland, Uli B would be most likely to do a rip-off/reissue/reincarnate/reimagined Jupe.🤣😎

PD

6 minutes ago, ProfD said:

As you already know, the Jupiter 6 is an analog, subtractive synth with 2 VCOs, 2 LFOs and 1 resonant multi-filter. 

While I'd imagine the J6 has its own magic fairy dust, there's no shortage of brand new modern synths capable of catching that flavor and more.😁

Considering his affinity for analog synths especially Roland, Uli B would be most likely to do a rip-off/reissue/reincarnate/reimagined Jupe.🤣😎

Look at his catalogue today, what we are going to see come alive bit by bit, many subtractive synths are in the making, one more or less...

Though it would have been more interesting with a "Super Jupiter" from Behringer, covering the entire span...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

16 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Though it would have been more interesting with a "Super Jupiter" from Behringer, covering the entire span...

Most likely, if it comes to fruition, I was thinking along the same lines with the ability to switch between  models (J6 & J8).  It may include the JX and Juno as featured nuggets and/or hidden cookies.  Still 16 polyphony.  No more or less.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

On 7/15/2024 at 7:03 PM, ProfD said:

Back in the mid-1980s, Herbie replaced his Rhodes with a Yamaha DX7 & KX88 MIDI controller.

i believe Herbie Hancock has self-actualized as a musician to the point where he knows folks will come out to hear him play his body of work on any type of KB instrument.

I disagree. I very much doubt Herbie Hancock touring using only a Bontempi 15 4909 would be accepted by the paying fans, or Herbie. (While I don't doubt he could make a good fist of it). He picked those instruments because they were suitable replacements that had the qualities he needed.

• Like 1