Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Synthesizers have gone the way of saxophones. It's a sad day for synth players.

I miss the ability to try out anything other than guitars in a local store.

When I bought my first "Pro" saxophone, a Selmer, Mark VI, I went to a big music store in Miami, Ace Music.

My band director came with me, and brought the school's strobe tuner. They had 3 Mark VI saxes, and I chose the one with the best intonation.

Saxes are not in tune with themselves. Each note needs a bit different lip pressure to play in tune, and no two saxes are alike. They are better now than they were in 1960, but still not in tune with themselves.

I traded that for a Mark VII, and then a Couf Superba. That was the last 'try before you buy' sax I bought. You can't find pro saxophones in music stores unless you go to a huge chain store, the Manny's and Sam Ash stores are all gone.  And if you do, you are lucky to find one of the model you want so you can't compare, and they only carry one or two pro lines, so you can't compare a Selmer to a Yani to a Yamaha or any of the others.

Even the old Woodwind & Brasswind store, which was at least staffed by musicians has been purchased by the chain, Music & Arts. Now, nothing but sales clerks who, if they play at all, just dabble. The store where I used to have my sax worked on, was purchased by M&A, and the first thing they did was replace the experienced technicians with lower paid beginners who know 50 ways to mess up a horn.

The last 3 horns I bought, were bought online, depending on their reputation in the sax community. And I never got to compare 3 to get the one with the best intonation.

The Internet age has given us a wealth of opportunities we never had before, but it also has it's downsides. IMO this is one of them.

So as we go forward, we adapt to the changes.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I think some may be misunderstanding this announcement. Moog is continuing their operations... they are just closing the store they had in the their factory location in Asheville. Business continues, development continues and so on. You just can't go visit them if/when you are in Asheville. That's sad, as I heard it was a cool thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Strays Dave said:

For what it's worth, there is a Moog Audio store in Montreal on St. Laurent street.  Being a pianist I didn't spend any time there. 

https://moogaudio.com/

Interesting that they are using the name Moog, as they don't seem to be affiliated in any way, beyond being a dealer. And they carry lots of other things...