Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upcoming NI Artist Collaboration Electric Piano Library

Herbie?

As the Duke and Chick are no longer with us, and they claim Legendary, could be Stevie too though.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 minute ago, J.F.N. said:

Herbie?

As the Duke is no longer with us, and they claim Legendary, could be Stevie too though.

Your missing that it said one of it's legendary artist who was behind one of their biggest selling plugins.   Then people who heard Terrace Martin's recent interview with Devvon.   Terrace was in Herbie's pre covid band and since then Terrace and Glaper have been working with Herbie a lot of a project to come.    Terrace play sax and keys and is a recording engineer and producer.    They ask Terrace about old gear and he tells how he came across and old vintage Rhodes and told Herbie about it.   Herbie said why sound I get that old Rhodes I got Keyscape and I can get in and tweak  the setting and come up with something.    Terrace also said I don't know if it was from his father or from Herbie the said...  You see all those pictures of the great musicians playing what are vintage instrument, but those were just new instruments when those pictures were taken.    Basically just say learn to use what you got which I think is an important lesson to many young player ignore today. 

• Like 2

When I dropped off my Rhodes & Wurly at Speakeasy Vintage Music to be re-worked back in the late '00s, Steve showed me Alicia's Rhodes in line to be serviced/modded. I bet this is it.

6 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Herbie?

As the Duke and Chick are no longer with us, and they claim Legendary, could be Stevie too though.

Herbie is with Korg (as is the aforementioned Terrace Martin). Robert Glasper plays the new MK8 Rhodes.

My guess is also on Alicia Keys. The only other NI artist I can think of was George Duke (R.I.P.), with "Duke's Treasures".

8 hours ago, tapes said:

My guess is also on Alicia Keys. The only other NI artist I can think of was George Duke (R.I.P.), with "Duke's Treasures".

While it was really cool for non-keyboardists, I doubt George Duke's Soul Treasures was one of NI's "best loved and most-used plugins", but I think that the Alicia's Keys piano probably was. Scarbee was involved the first time, I wonder if that's happened again.  

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

Also, I would wager that July 9th. will be the release date (just after the current 50% off and $50 off $200 cart promotions end).

Don't their new new upgrades usually come just after the 50% sale end.     I have no library like Kontact (or Arturia) and thinking of getting one and trying to decide whether to buy now with the sale or wait for the latest and greatest.  

Nothing against NI or Alicia but… who here was thinking “we need another Rhodes library?”

I know I’m being a curmudgeon but - isn’t anybody ever happy enough with their instrument(s) that they can stop chasing that “better” or “different” one and maybe work on being a better player? What is the appeal of having all these Rhodes? The only reason I can see is that maybe your current one lacks something in how it was sampled or modeled - but these days I think most of the major players have that stuff together. Can you imagine this mindset if these plugins didn’t exist? Would we all be buying every new hardware keyboard as soon as they’re updated, even a little bit? Oh, wait…. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Nothing against NI or Alicia but… who here was thinking “we need another Rhodes library?”

With you here brother. Scarbee 88 is currently on sale for US $49 for those of us who don't already own it. Can't imagine improving on that release.

:nopity:

3 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

… who here was thinking “we need another Rhodes library?”...

Exactly how I feel every time I see a wall of guitars/amps/cabs behind a player: "You actually use/need all that?"

The amount of cork sniffing in the EG world is insane. They'll easily drop a couple grand on what can be done with a few dBs of adjustments in EQ.

We are at least lucky that the same patch sounds 99.9% the same on a $100 JV-1010 vs. a $2,000 Fantom. That forces us to focus more on our crafts.

But then I remembered analog synths... :facepalm:

10 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I know I’m being a curmudgeon but - isn’t anybody ever happy enough with their instrument(s) that they can stop chasing that “better” or “different” one and maybe work on being a better player? What is the appeal of having all these Rhodes?

I haven't tried every EP emulation out there, but funnily enough, I'm still sort of looking :laugh:  Most EP emulations are lacking some sonic character. If it's mellow, it's not detailed enough - it sounds fake when you solo. For instance, I've never been able to fully capture Herbie's Rhodes tone in software. Nothing really sounds like George Duke's tine-y Rhodes, or Chick's RTF era Rhodes (although the Montage Mark V is OK).

For the price, Purgatory Creek's Mark V is still really good! And it has a small footprint, and can be downloaded to hardware synths as well. I need to demo the V8 plug-in version.

Although it does sound good, there's something "off" about Keyscape, especially the dry/clean models. All the patches sound too massive somehow, and you have to really mess with the sound to get it to sit in a mix. The best model IMO is the "E" Rhodes Suitcase, and it suits best for that early 80's Chorus-laden L.A. studio sound...but little else.