Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio Things Wurly. Anybody using it ?

I totally appreciate a better mousetrap. Just don’t advertise it as a “Standalone” instrument when it’s not.  Apple should urge them to edit the product description.  

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

59 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I totally appreciate a better mousetrap. Just don’t advertise it as a “Standalone” instrument when it’s not.  Apple should urge them to edit the product description.  

Somebody, maybe somebody from this thread or, just someone sympatico left a low star review at the app store laying out the midi shortcomings.  So the warning is there if not from AudioThings directly. 

• Like 1

FunMachine.

5 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Just don’t advertise it as a “Standalone” instrument when it’s not.  Apple should urge them to edit the product description.

Heck, Apple's own GarageBand is "useless" in many of the same ways. You can't assign it a MIDI channel (it's permanently Omni), you can't assign MIDI CCs (e.g. the organ drawbars can only be manipulated via the screen), you can't call up different sounds with MIDI Program Changes... At least AudioThings lets you get some of this functionality by running inside a host, Garageband doesn't even support that.

It seems to me that maybe Wurli is okay for the casual users who are content to just play it by itself and control it on screen, and the advanced users who will run it in a host, but may disappoint those in the middle, who want a little more than the basics in terms of professional capabilities but aren't quite ready to get into the full hosting environments.

VSTs can be the same, btw. They can have disappointing limitations when run by themselves (like not being able to select a MIDI channel or respond to Program Change), but can achieve their full pro functionality once you run them in Gig Performer, Cantabile, Camelot Pro, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)