Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Apple Product for MainStage within a Budget

Did you try going into the Audio MIDI Setup program? Find & highlight your USB adapter on the left, select "Output" at the top right, and the "Format" drop down should offer you the choice to switch to 44.1K. Also, goose those volume sliders all the way up!

image.png.40a02bf5ce74d448988c0fb2ff273023.png

• Like 1

Oddly enough, today, I cannot replicate the pop and cracks, using hub or going straight into the usb c port, so I guess, problem solved, even at a buffer size of 32, smearing the keyboard and holding the sustain down.  Nice!

I wonder if it was because I got a cheap usb c to 1/8th adapter?  It gets very hot plugged into the hub.

21 minutes ago, kwyn said:

I'm just wary of headphone jacks. I busted a few on my iPads. 

Using a right-angle connector makes it much less susceptible to damage. On an iPad, the downside is that that doesn't work with lots of cases, but with the Macbook, that's probably not an issue.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, kwyn said:

The audio was going from computer-->hub -->USB to 1/8 adapter -->Stereo Y cable--> to mixer--> studio monitors

This is really my first experience with MAC. Not sure why it forces 48 over 44.1 when going that route. Maybe I should try bypassing the hub and see what happens. 64 samples would be a low enough buffer for me. I barely notice lag at 128, but at 256, I can definitely feel it.

a) It's "Mac" — it's not an acronym, it's short for "Macintosh" (a type of apple). 

b) the sample rate of the interface is typically automatically set by the main application using it. If your audio application project is set to 48 kHz, it will force the interface to 48 kHz. If you have something else running in parallel at 44 kHz, that may need to be sample-rate converted first (which, depending upon the application and its output to CoreAudio, should work automatically), but that might add latency. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I use a MacBook Air M2 with 8 gig of RAM live with Mainstage and in studio with Logic Pro and Analag Lab Pro and other plug ins with no crashes. But I don't keep multiple projects open simultaneously. I think the key with using MainStage is using aliases for frequently used patches.

If anyone else is interested, Best Buy is selling the M2 8 gig for $850. Not sure how long that sale is for. The m3 8 gig for $1k but it was out of stock at my local Best buy. 

If you want to future proof it Apple silicon is the only choice.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P