Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Library - Spitfire String Quintet

I wish there were an app to bypass the restrictions of the sample libraries. I'd be happy running the Spitfire strings with some compromises.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I had the same reaction.

I'm sure there are many limitations, it's trying to do a lot of things and the Nord engine isn't known (to say the least) for the types of articulations and layering a Kontakt library can do.  But that guy played to its strengths extremely well.

Honestly when I use strings live I usually shoot for a more generic and even synth-ish ensemble sound but that did sound good.

• Like 2

Well, it was well-timed for me.  We're doing a few classic mid-60s Beatles tunes with prominent string parts.  The previous Nord strings+synth for Beatles strings were OK but not compelling.  Now they're much more compelling.  I was messing around with iPad instruments, and now don't need that anymore.

Not to mention a free download.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

These are fab imho, great pop strings: "Spitfire String Quintet Marc Short" ... 

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sounds/sound-collections/spitfire-string-quintet/

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Here's an extended demo by Joshua. Its downright humbling. Gorgeous technique! I have a double handful of Spitfire plugs. They're constant performers.

• Like 2

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

On 6/13/2024 at 12:50 PM, zxcvbnm098 said:

Same for me....:(

What a buzz kill..........

As of today, looks like Nord now has this sound library compatible with the NE5 and other legacy products.

• Like 2

I've spent a few days playing with the Spitfire Quintet.  Love it!

Not only do the samples sound *great* when played with appropriate technique, they have enough "string flavor" to stand out in a layered patch that might include organ, horns, piano etc.  Example: using the marcato sample instead of B3 percussion.

Bottom line: these are very usable samples in a variety of contexts.  I've already incorporated them into a handful of setlist items.

• Like 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

4 hours ago, eric said:

As of today, looks like Nord now has this sound library compatible with the NE5 and other legacy products.

the oldest supported machine, the Electro 3, was released in 2009 — FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. 

The Stage 2 in 2011. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

6 hours ago, eric said:

Whoa!!! Great timing!! Heading into the studio this week....

• Like 1

I’m so happy they are now available for my Electro 5. 
I loaded a few of them that I knew I could find useful, to use at my gig this Thursday!!!

I’m glad they changed their mind. 
Legacy instrument support goes a long way in “brand loyalty”, in my book…

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...