Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

About a year ago, I posted about my first piano, a wonderful 1989 Yamaha G2R, that truly came to life after my esteemed piano tech Teri Meredyth did the voicing and regulation. Over the course of a year, I really bonded with it. It made me want to practice, forced me to execute properly, and all in all it has been a good friend.

So I was happy and convinced I was gonna stay with it for another ten years or so. Until I randomly chanced upon an ad for a 2011 Kawai RX-2 for a good price, here in SoCal. I figured it couldn't hurt to check it out, and I learned it had belonged to a retired piano teacher who recently passed away. She was the first and only owner. As soon as I played it, it felt and sounded like Jazz to me, warm and rich, rather than the bright and clear tone of my Yamaha.

I explained to the seller I liked the piano but would have to sell my own first, to help pay for it and to make room. He understood and we agreed to keep in touch. I made an ad for my piano, and decided to leave it up to providence.

A few people responded to the ad, but weeks went by and nothing firm materialized. Meanwhile, the seller lowered his price a few times, until two weeks ago he texted to say he had to get a commitment that day because the estate sale lady needed to know whether or not the piano would be included.

I had already kind of let the idea go, content to stick with mine, but he lowered the price so far that I figured I could lower mine as well and see what happens. Within minutes, a girl who had reached out a few weeks earlier hit me up asking if she could come by right away.

She turned out to be a great classical pianist who was currently practicing on a digital. She played my Yamaha and I could tell she loved it. A few hours later she called to say she agreed to buy it at my price.

I called the seller to confirm the sale, and in the end I got the new piano for the same price I got for my old one. So my only cost was the transport.

Teri came today to tune it, and it's glorious! Rich, full, and sweet. And that's before voicing and regulation, gonna wait with that, this one is still pretty new and i wanna live with it for a while before I decide on adjustments.

What can I say, I'm one lucky SOB. Had to share with folks who understand!

IMG_7820.thumb.jpg.5e3b6ec7029cd9eaf9ac0011ce4ab912.jpg

• Like 22
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 6

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Congrats - what a great turn of events for you. Kawai pianos are wonderful, and no doubt warmer and more “woody” than your Yamaha. Nothing like a world-class instrument to inspire you. Enjoy!

• Like 1