Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jesús Molina - Wow!

9 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

A known monster.  Nord uses him extensively. 

https://www.jesusmolina.org/

Thanks!.     Why aren't we talking about this guy more?    He also sings great, and is good-lookin'.    Maybe he's the next Nat King Cole?

5 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

See also: Gonzalo Rubalcaba

I'm aware of Gonzala Rubalcaba.    Not sure why you brought him up, though.

I changed the thread title to "Jesus Molina - Wow!"

Not sure why I haven't heard more about him before.   Absolute monster.  Sings great (like a pop star!), looks good, plays saxophone too.   Talk about gifts from God!

42 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Who is this guy?  Anyone know?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/347622447668197

Yup, an absolute monster, he's scary!!

:D

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

In that Facebook Reel that I linked to in my original post, I notice that Jesús has put on a lot of weight.   Maybe he's the next Joey DeFrancesco!  🙂   Just kidding.   Jesús, if you're reading this, there's plenty of time to pull it together.  Regular exercise, a better diet.   You can do it man.   It seems a shame not to maximize those good looks that God gave you!   

Then again, I don't know how old that reel is.   In some recent Youtube vids, he seems to be in better shape.

He had  one of the Gastric procedures a few years back. He also appears to have had some type of hair replacement procedure as well. I didn't even recognize him when I saw him at NAMM. A little early in life for all that while still in your 20s but I guess whatever it takes these days to establish a career. He looks healthy and always appears very happy when he's "on".

An incredible talent. Forum member, Roger Friedman/ Piano4u sponsored his arrival to the US and helped him to navigate the admission process to get into Berklee. He showed me video of him  in Colombia before anyone knew about him.

While musically he's not my thing and I can't really listen to him for more then 30 seconds, I'm still very happy for him. What it took to come here and lift himself out of extreme poverty and to accomplish all of what he has in not even ten years, that's a very inspiring story.

• Like 4

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

20 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

In that Facebook Reel that I linked to in my original post, I notice that Jesús has put on a lot of weight.   Maybe he's the next Joey DeFrancesco!  🙂   Just kidding.   Jesús, if you're reading this, there's plenty of time to pull it together.  Regular exercise, a better diet.   You can do it man.   It seems a shame not to maximize those good looks that God gave you!   

Then again, I don't know how old that reel is.   In some recent Youtube vids, he seems to be in better shape.

He was at NAMM.  Seems to be taking care of himself as far as weight goes.  And he’s up to speed on the Domi / JD Beck trend.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Used to follow him in the past. But I quickly grew tired of what’s rather a permanent display of fast chops.

He was really overweight and balding. Then he disappeared from the online world for a while and got back very slim, fit and with hair 😎 He married a nice girl, a singer, and they used to post some great videos together. I remember one where he was sitting on the floor with crossed legs and would press the sustain pedal of his Nord with the side of his left foot as though he had done it his whole life. It was very impressive! A few months later those videos disappeared and I think I read the marriage didn’t last long… 😕 I think I saw him gaining weight again but he seems pretty much in shape now.

P.S. Ohh, the videos with his (ex?) wife are there again. Maybe it was all fake rumors after all? Hopefully that’s the case. Here’s the one I meant:

Not sure how anyone in this forum missed his existence….

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Here’s a screenshot from the video linked by the OP:

IMG_0790.thumb.jpeg.5fcd40333228fee8b4b0f06a3194fcb0.jpeg

There was a complete online silence from him for quite a while and then he came back in a new NORD video:

IMG_0791.thumb.jpeg.9f901f19ced29dc5ceda6f81bf0152c1.jpeg

It was a mind-blowing transformation 👏🏻

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

He was at NAMM.  Seems to be taking care of himself as far as weight goes.  And he’s up to speed on the Domi / JD Beck trend.

What's the  Domi / JD Beck trend?   I seem to be learning a lot in this thread!

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

He had  one of the Gastric procedures a few years back. I didn't even recognize him when I saw him at NAMM. A little early in life but I guess whatever it takes these days. He looks healthy and always appears very happy when he's "on".

An incredible talent. Forum member, Roger Friedman/ Piano4u sponsored his arrival to the US and helped him to navigate the admission process to get into Berklee. He showed me video of him long ago in Colombia before anyone knew about him. Amazing.

When would that have been, i.e., coming to the US and going to Berklee?   How long did he spend at Berklee?   Just curious.   So, did he play the way he does now before he went to Berklee?  Or was going to Berklee more about getting people to know about him?

If you like jazz and you haven’t banned YouTube, there’s no way you haven’t seen Domi / JD Beck and Jesus Molina. Really odd that you don’t know them, they’re not new, must’ve been there for years now 🧐

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

If you like jazz and you haven’t banned YouTube, there’s no way you haven’t seen Domi / JD Beck and Jesus Molina. Really odd that you don’t know them, they’re not new, must’ve been there for years now 🧐

That's a strange statement!    Yes I listen to a lot of jazz music, but mostly stuff that I already know about.   I don't spend my time on Youtube looking for new acts that I don't know about.   I find some of them, of course, by happenstance, but I'm sure there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of jazz musicians that I haven't discovered yet.  Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I've been following him for a number of years now - absolutely crazily talented guy. One of my favorite living Jazz folks by a large margin.

I actually discovered him through this Keyscape video with Emily Bear (another artist I'm a big fan of), and of course then found all the Nord stuff later on.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

11 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Yes I listen to a lot of jazz music, but mostly stuff that I already know about.   I don't spend my time on Youtube looking for new acts that I don't know about.

I guess that explains it.

15 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

44, why? 🙂 

23 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I guess that explains it.             44, why? 🙂 

I don't know, it just seemed like something a younger person might have said.    As a 44-year-old, I'm sure you've learned by now that other people have different experiences.

Sorry, didn’t mean to be disrespectful. I was genuinely interested in how it’s possible to miss these two, they’re all over YouTube, along with Jacob Collier, Snarky Puppy, etc. But maybe it was just me targeted by the YouTube algorithms and those musicians are “all over” my YT only.

9 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to be disrespectful. I was genuinely interested in how it’s possible to miss these two, they’re all over YouTube, along with Jacob Collier, Snarky Puppy, etc. But maybe it was just me targeted by the YouTube algorithms and those musicians are “all over” my YT only.

No worries, man! Jacob Collier and Snarky Puppy both appeared in my Youtube suggestions, but somehow Jesus escaped me, as did Domi and JDBeck.   Or maybe they were there, and I didn't click on them.   In truth, these days I mostly watch Youtube vids about science, politics, police body cameras, history, and guys pouring concrete.   With the occasional music video thrown in for good measure 🙂

• Like 1

OK, I get that Domi and JDBeck are a kbd/drums duo.   Is there a trend there, though?   I'm asking a serious question.   This sounds like a lot of other fusion-type music I've heard. 

8 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

In truth, these days I mostly watch Youtube vids about science, politics, police body cameras, history, and guys pouring concrete.   With the occasional music video thrown in for good measure 🙂

Well, I, on the other hand, overfed with YT and made a New Year’s resolution (on this forum!) to stop watching YT mindlessly. And I did! I open only occasionally links sent to me or search for something specific to share. But browsing for hours - absolutely no! So, maybe you just beat me to it with a few years 😀 Now, just wait me sharing something in a few years and some guy nagging me about how come I missed it 🤣

• Like 1