Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano Tuning Tools

So now that I have a (baby) grand piano with real strings, It seems reasonable to stock a tuning hammer and wedges for the occasional small tweak, perhaps even to resume learning tuning (I started, and stopped, in the late 1970s).

Back then is was "go to my favorite music store and order a tuning hammer."  Now it's "Look online and find 30 tuning hammers and kits to choose from."

Do any of you do your own tweaking or tuning?  Are there any recommendations for tuning hammer?  Is the $120 model significantly better than the $12 one?

Any other advice on DIY piano servicing?

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

3 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

So now that I have a (baby) grand piano with real strings, It seems reasonable to stock a tuning hammer and wedges for the occasional small tweak, perhaps even to resume learning tuning (I started, and stopped, in the late 1970s).

Back then is was "go to my favorite music store and order a tuning hammer."  Now it's "Look online and find 30 tuning hammers and kits to choose from."

Do any of you do your own tweaking or tuning?  Are there any recommendations for tuning hammer?  Is the $120 model significantly better than the $12 one?

Any other advice on DIY piano servicing?

I am a semi retired piano technician so yes I tweak the wifes piano.  I've heard horror stories of the really cheap tuning levers damaging the pins so avoid those. A good fit on the pin is critical so replaceable tips are good, and i like to be able to choose the length and angle of the head. I like short extension and a number 3 tip and a 15 degree head  to fit deeper on the pin. My Fujan tuning lever is worth more than most of the pianos out there these days:) $100 should get you something decent.

Dan

• Like 1

Yes, avoid cheap tips. Way back I bought a student hammer for twenty bucks and used it until wearing it out tuning hundreds of pianos. 

Now use a Levitan classic and it's very nice. 

I would avoid the cheap china stuff. Someone I know bought a 15 or 20 dollar deal and the tip was junk. 

I think a decent student model goes for around 50 bucks if you look around. That's what I'd get if I were you.

Setting the string right is what matters high or low priced hammer.

Interesting topic.....I have been fiddling with an older Bush and Lane upright. I have been using a Pano free piano tuning program to touch up some notes on it and it gets me in the ball park at least. It's good for dialing in bass notes and to some degree I have had success with upper register false beats. I do intend to get a local tuner over here soon though. The Bush and Lane has extended height - it is 56 inches rather than standard 52. It has been stated that Bush and Lane is one of the older ones worth restoring. It does have Wessell Nickel Gross action too.....

Good advice, all -- thanks!

The Levitan and Fujan brands are a little higher than I am aiming.

Any suggestions in the $75-and-under range?  Or is that just too low?

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

As previously mentioned, avoid cheap stuff and go for a quality tip. For example, gooseneck tuning hammers are a big no-no. I personally got quite a few tools as I enjoy not only tuning the grand piano but also adjusting/regulating the action, etc. So I also got lubricants, punchings, weights in grams, drop screw and backcheck regulators, tools for voicing and hammer springs, etc.

About tuning, I bought a medium quality 80 $ angled hammer but a quite expensive 6 cm Watanabe tip, along with the usual wedges and Papps mute. Depending on your tuning technique and grand piano design, make sure to choose the correct size/length for your tip and angle for your hammer. For example, with short tools, you might end up with limited options to tune the highest register, etc. I personally like to be able to place the hammer at any "clock" position for fine tuning as I don't bend pins - and with this particular method tunings stay stable quite longer. Of course, each tech/person can use a different tuning technique, so this example might not apply to you.

I bought my tuning hammer from one of our former tuners.  Nice piece, brand name escapes me but it does the job for minor tweaks.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I got my first tuning lever from a tech friend who got it for me from Schaff. Sometime after that I got an account with them though I don't remember how (I'm not officially a tech but I've been doing my own work for years). More recently, I splurged and got the carbon fiber Fujan lever which I know is out of your range.

But all that is to say get a good one as others have mentioned, and there was a site that basically reselling the Schaff stuff but I'm not sure which one that was. It might be this one.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI