Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Program for Ripping CDs to FLAC on Windows and Mac?

I just started a project of ripping my CDs to FLAC (my digital library is currently housed in 128kbps mp3s that I ripped mostly back in 1998-2000), and I'm using XLD on my mac.

Seems to work, and no complaints. 

Wow, I had no idea that I would be dealing with programs where you specify "Number of passes to use for Cholesky factorization during LPC analysis." I was kind of hoping for "Insert CD, select FLAC, click on Make File."

Anyway, I found a tutorial for XLD about ripping on the Mac to FLAC, and it looks doable. The options look nothing if not comprehensive. And, it can run on my doorstop Snow Leopard desktop, which has two CD drives...that's a plus :)

However, I also found a program called Media Monkey. It's drop-dead simple, you just tell it to rip a CD to FLAC, and it generates all the files with titles and metadata. Only problem is it's Windows-only, and I had hoped for a Mac program. Still, the simplicity appeals to me, and it does have features like Jitter-Corrected Read and Verify Ripped Tracks. Any idea what I'm missing out on by not using a heavier-duty program?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Any idea what I'm missing out on by not using a heavier-duty program?

There are front end UX’s available for FFmpeg, so that it can be used as “rip mix burn”. As opposed to going full command line. 🤓 But nice to know you can have the options to fine tune as desired.

what about VLC? its rather well rounded and super simple… and like FF, it’s fully cross platform.

VLC features page

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

1 hour ago, Thethirdapple said:

what about VLC? its rather well rounded and super simple… and like FF, it’s fully cross platform.

I tried it, but there was some issue that prevented it from writing. It always just played in real time, and the file that it created had 0 bytes. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, and I will look into it further.

Czech into Handbrake.   It ripped anything and everything during my ripping years.  At the time is was the best.  I used it for my DVD library.   I keep a legacy version around (1.2.2) that avoids court decisions and keeps all of the legacy defeat of copying protection alive.   It basically converts anything to anything with all options in between.  I always love how it pops up "Put down that Cocktail" dialog box when the ripping is done !!

Screenshot2024-05-02at20_21_06.png.5fe49f68d5cab5bef073503944d2e2e0.png

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

8 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Czech into Handbrake.

Handbrake was/is awesome.

back when file size and kb/s mattered. The pre-visualization was a great feature for compressing our work for publication. Even and especially on cd/dvd for matching specs of older machines.

the modern bloat is amazing…

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

Just to follow up...for Windows, I bought Nero CD Ripper. People who know more than I do say that if my CDs are in good shape, I don't need the robust error correction of the high-level CD ripping programs. Nero is free, but Gracenote access for track names and cover art is an addon that costs $7.99 a year or $1.99 a week. EAC uses CDDB, and although you can use Gradenote with it, it's not straightforward and requires a workaround. Nero is also fast...just shovel in CDs while you're doing something else.

XLD can connect to Gracenote, and that's the program I'll use for the Mac.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am satisfied using Foobar2000 on PC to listen to audio files of various formats (wav, mp3, flac, ogg, monkey's audio, etc) and also to rip CDs to various formats.  EAC is probably better for the rip, but I can't tell the difference.  To convert wav to aac (used for video), I've been using ffmpeg. There may be an aac library for foobar2000.