Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: phone splitter issues with charging and audio

Until about 2 months ago I used an old android Motorola phone.  In the car I used an adapter to both charge the unit and 1/8” out to the aux input of my car stereo to listen to music (my car doesn’t have bluetooth).  It worked nicely, here is the adapter:

1.JPG.5f545d2aedfa4bcf17f59c54f9577d01.JPG

That phone died so I purchased a Samsung Android phone.  I purchased the recommended splitter for it, wanting to do the same thing, i.e. charge the phone and play music through the aux in of my car stereo.  The problem is that:
1) can’t do both at the same time, when the USBC is connected to a charger I hear static through the radio’s Aux In (and no music).  With the USBC disconnected and only the 1/8” being used and plugged into the aux in of the stereo, I get no sound.  

2) If I plug headphones into the 1/8” outlet of the splitter it works perfectly (but still doesn’t work with the USBC also plugged in).  So, I can’t use both the USBc and the headphone adapter at the same time, and the headphone adapter only works with headphones and NOT when I patch the 1/8” female of the splitter into the car stereo’s 1/8” input.  The patch cord I use from the splitter into the car stereo is good, it works with other hookups, so it has something to do with the adapter I purchased.  What I don’t understand is why my old phone and its adapter took a charge and played through the 1/8” simultaneously and this adapter will either charge and not play audio at the same time OR with the charger removed play through headphones (but not through a mixer type input).  Any guidance as to what adapter types are needed to both charge the phone and connect the 1/8” to the aux in of my car stereo? The old adapter is not compatible with the new phone, I get a message on my phone telling me this when I plug in the adapter. Here is a pic of the new adapter:

2.JPG.42524b62f64d40e900b6b2d7f3d85344.JPG

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

If both adapters are usb C why won't the old adapter work with the new phone?

As I mentioned in my opening post that when I plug in the old adapter into the new phone a message comes up on my new phone screen that the adapter is not compatible with the phone.

Screenshot_20240417_162456_Message.thumb.jpg.e340300d62a1c4a20e939d82320df5ae.jpg

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Apparently there are different splitter adapters, some are made to feed headphones and some are made to carry a signal to an "aux in" cable or to a mixer. Physically they look identical, so you're at the mercy of the descripter on the package to understand what is being purchased.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

also, make sure you try flipping the USB C adapter orientation.  Being symmetrical, it is not supposed to make a difference which way you plug it in, BUT in my experience with keys/ipads/power it DOES make a difference. Worth trying anyways.