Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another GEAR mistake...? (iPad vs Notebook Rig)

On 4/17/2024 at 7:25 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

I actually have at least a few hundred interesting and usable FREE synths for windows I harvested from KVR a number of years ago. Including Organized Trio from GSI. An early form of VB3. I have barely tried the first 20 of them. Problem is they are all 32 bit and getting less stable as windows gets updated, I'm not even sure how many still work in windows 11. And the flow of all the freebies died out about 5 years ago. The culture of homemade synths from the synthedit platform that was going on back in the pre 2016 era ended.

It's a shame because I have a couple of really good mellotrons like redtron, that are ridiculously good for free. 

FWIW, Reaper bridges 32 bit plugs automatically. No muss, no fuss, Easy Peasy. As JoJoB3 mentioned above, Reaper is IMO the best DAW out there. Insanely powerful and stable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

FWIW, Reaper bridges 32 bit plugs automatically. No muss, no fuss, Easy Peasy. As JoJoB3 mentioned above, Reaper is IMO the best DAW out there. Insanely powerful and stable.

I have used reaper and like it. But the version I used several years ago was awkward to set up the channel controls for midi control. Compared to AUM it's like having 2 hands and 1 foot tied behind my back. Setting up splits and zones and different midi channels for each instrument in a session in AUM is super easy and in reaper I'm not even sure it can do all the settings I use. Like setting the octave range of a zone or midi control of every parameter on any auv3 instrument of effect app. And saving all those assignments. Maybe the 2024 version of reaper can but i doubt it, the 2016 version of reaper for sure couldn't. 

FunMachine.

8 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I have used reaper and like it. But the version I used several years ago was awkward to set up the channel controls for midi control. Compared to AUM it's like having 2 hands and 1 foot tied behind my back.  

AUM runs on windows?   

Being that Reaper is a DAW, it wouldn't be my first (or even 3rd) choice for a live keyboard rig. In my case, I spend 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week with Reaper recording clients in the studio.  Your post mentioned dated 32 bit VSTs.  If your goal is to use them, then Windows and Reaper with it's ability to easily bridge 32 to 64bit plugs will meet that goal.

28 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

AUM runs on windows?   

Being that Reaper is a DAW, it wouldn't be my first (or even 3rd) choice for a live keyboard rig. In my case, I spend 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week with Reaper recording clients in the studio.  Your post mentioned dated 32 bit VSTs.  If your goal is to use them, then Windows and Reaper with it's ability to easily bridge 32 to 64bit plugs will meet that goal.

No AUM is iOS. I have those old vst's but I'm not staying up nights thinking about them. I have dozens of iOS apps too and they are far more better than the windows ones. I wouldn't trade AUM for any other instrument app host or iPad for any other device. 

FunMachine.