Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bluetooth MIDI Adapters

Hey there! I'm thinking about using some iPad sequencers with my Kurzweil PC4-7. I'm considering trying a bluetooth MIDI adapter, such as the Yamaha MD-BT01. If that works out well, I'd likely try using it for controlling iPad synth apps, too.

Anyone have any experience with these? Is latency an issue? Not so bad? Thoughts, opinions?

Thank you! 

I believe they got latency down with Bluetooth v4 which is what the Yamaha MD-BT01 is based on.  It has a lot to do with distance - so the further away you need to transmit from the greater the delay.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered it.  I don't have an immediate need for it but it'll be in my gig bag just in case.  I'm also a sucker for a potentially good deal because I'm a cheap old fart. I've been burned a few times but all-in-all I've come out ahead with my cheapness.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

My inclination would be to stick with the CME WIDI devices rather than the no-names. They're not expensive, and CME actually provides online support and firmware upgrades, and they have a whole ecosystem of related devices that you know have been designed/tested to work properly together.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

My inclination would be to stick with the CME WIDI devices rather than the no-names. They're not expensive, and CME actually provides online support and firmware upgrades, and they have a whole ecosystem of related devices that you know have been designed/tested to work properly together.

And the CME WIDI is built on Bluetooth v5!  Even better. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On latency: The choice of devices does influence the overall latency. Some combinations are better than others.

A CME device to another CME device has 3-5 ms latency. Very good.

These stats are a few years old and I hope I remember them correctly, but I think are still valid:

Any device connection to an iPhone or iPad has 14ms latency, based on the service interval provided by iOS.

Any device connection to a Mac has 11.5ms latency, based on the service interval provided by MacOS.

• Like 1

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0