Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG Module Pro - which expansion packs do you use?

In my search for alternative portable setups, I am working on two options, both based on a MIDI controller plus an external sound source:

• Controller + iPad running AUM (and on it, KORG Module Pro among other VIs)
  • Controller + Laptop running Gig Performer

As a controller, I can use from simpler keyboards, with no controls, as the KORG B2, adding perhaps a Micro Kontrol 2 on it, to more complex controllers, as the Arturia Keylab 61 MkII or any other one on my stash of gear. For the laptop option, I have plenty of VSTs which cover all what I would need. But for the iPad, I have less instruments. There is a discount on the KORG software until tomorrow (BTW, I hate they say "up to 50% discounted" and you can't see the regular and the discounted prices!)

So the question is what expansions to get on the KORG Module Pro. I have already some, but would like to know which ones people use and on what kind of music. Yes, I can hear the demos and even try them. But actual users for sure will have a real-world opinion on them 😁

Thanks for your feedback!

Jose

You really need the pro expansion that offers layers, splits, cc learn and more.

Scarbee is fantastic, can't recall what organs are in there as I had the organ and clav expansion from day one. Hybrid expansion is useful but not found Triton to be invaluable yet. Ivory piano better than stock, but I would probably choose the Oasys piano now for band work.

I use with the new Keystage and really hope Korg update Module to make the most of it as it's a really smooth lag free experience.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Know what you mean about the sale prices, I can't believe Oasys piano is £30 full price so maybe just a smaller than 50% discount. You might expect that price for Ivory, but one sound set from 20 years ago?!?

The sales happen regularly so wouldn't worry unless you need them all now.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

6 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

You really need the pro expansion that offers layers, splits, cc learn and more.

Scarbee is fantastic, can't recall what organs are in there as I had the organ and clav expansion from day one. Hybrid expansion is useful but not found Triton to be invaluable yet. Ivory piano better than stock, but I would probably choose the Oasys piano now for band work.

I use with the new Keystage and really hope Korg update Module to make the most of it as it's a really smooth lag free experience.

Yes, I got the pro expansion on another sale. That was a no brainer at the price it was at that moment 👍🏻

Will look at the ones you comment that I still don't have, as the Hybrid and Oasys

1 minute ago, Paul Woodward said:

Know what you mean about the sale prices, I can believe Oasys piano is £30 so maybe just a smaller than 50% discount.

The sales happen regularly so wouldn't worry unless you need them all now.

I wish I had tracked prices! 😅

Just now, Jose EB5AGV said:

Yes, I got the pro expansion on another sale. That was a no brainer at the price it was at that moment 👍🏻

Will look at the ones you comment that I still don't have, as the Hybrid and Oasys

Try the demos first, but Hybrid 2 has been useful and some simple synth tweaks in that engine. I'm really on the fence about Oasys piano, I really enjoyed it for pop/rock playing.

• Like 1

Seeing as you are considering AUM, why not go down the Gadget route so you can integrate the full blown synths such as Polysix, MS20, M1, Wavestation etc. With decent acoustic and electric piano expansions, gadget is getting close to  'budget' Kronos sounding territory at that point. This is my gripe with Module; can't integrate my Korg apps, but it's a better live set up than Gadget (unless you invest in AUM)...

Gadget already supports the Keystage functions. If it updated to include the live set functionality, I would likely move from Module altogether.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

👍🏻 wish I had tracked prices! 

Oasys piano only just released in the 'sale' so no idea what full price is 🤔 from memory, many of the others seem to be 50% off...but I bought quite a few already so it's not showing me the prices.

• Like 1

I got the free version of the Korg Module. Pretty sure it will load any of the expansion packs. I have Scarbee Rhodes. It's OK but doesn't have that top bark layer. When I really dig in there is some finger-ear disconnection, I have to say - but for more "normal" playing it sounds nice. I'm generally satisfied with it on gigs.

I think AUM will replicate the splitting, cc learning and other details you get with the Module Pro, so if you were already going with AUM you might be fine with the free version of Module. I'm running four instances of it in AUM.

• Like 1

Also - you said you're considering the NanoKontrol 2 right? You know it comes with coupons to download free software bundles? Check this page for details. I just remembered that when I plugged my older nanoKontrol 1 into my iPad with the free Module running, it automatically added some of the "pro" features!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

12 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I think AUM will replicate the splitting, cc learning and other details you get with the Module Pro...I'm running four instances of it in AUM.

Yes, if you're running in a host where you can run multiple instances, you shouldn't need to buy the "Performance Expansion", at least just to get splits and layers. Though as I mentioned in another thread, if AUM is your host, there's an add-on app called MIDI Layers  that facilitates splits and layers... I don't use AUM so I don't know exactly how this differs from what you can already do in AUM without it. I know Keystage (the app, not the Korg keyboard) also supports multiple instances of Module and is well designed for splits and layers, someone has a demo of using numerous instances of Module that way here. At one point he starts demo'ing sounds, but if you just want to see what other screens look like at that point, you can skip ahead to about the 6 minute mark.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

10 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Ivory piano better than stock, but I would probably choose the Oasys piano now for band work.

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with the Ivory Mobile Grand purchase, I wouldn't do that one again. Maybe I'll try the OASYS demo tomorrow.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Those Korg Module expansion packs still give you a demo period? It was at least a week iirc - so no need to purchase it right away. That's pretty rare in the VI world.

I tried the Ivory and it didn't do it for me either. Same with the Wurli. The Scarbee rhodes is pretty good though. I also bought Pure Piano and vTines but they're both in my digital dustbin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, if you're running in a host where you can run multiple instances, you shouldn't need to buy the "Performance Expansion", at least just to get splits and layers. Though as I mentioned in another thread, if AUM is your host, there's an add-on app called MIDI Layers  that facilitates splits and layers... I don't use AUM so I don't know exactly how this differs from what you can already do in AUM without it. I know Keystage (the app, not the Korg keyboard) also supports multiple instances of Module and is well designed for splits and layers, someone has a demo of that here. At one point he starts demo'ing sounds, but if you just want to see what other screens look like at that point, you can skip ahead to about the 6 minute mark.

Scott, I think the big upgrade potential of using Midi Layers in conjunction with AUM is in patch switching. Gets you very close to Mainstage on the iPad imo.

AUM can already do splits, layering, extensive midi control/filtering but Midi Layers is definitely the icing on the cake. The one big thing AUM CANNOT do is change scenes. To be fair, it was never designed with this in mind.

I am already heavily invested in the AUM way of doing things, so Midi Layers seemed perfect rather than say going to/having to learn another platform like Camelot.

Being able to transition between song sections in Midi Layers is a breeze with a simple scene switch. This was the "missing link" with AUM which stopped it from being a true onstage rig host.

One of the hidden masterpieces of doing these things on the Korg Oasys/Kronos system in my hardware-only days was the smart options they gave players- volume fade/rise crossovers in splits and layers, dependent on your choice of key position/split point. Finding that in Midi Layers was a joy. Another missing puzzle piece.

@AnotherScott I owe you a debt of thanks 🙂 because it was only through reading one of the many threads on here that I became aware of Midi Layers, or perhaps I should say, realised what it did. I have some of the other 4Pockets apps but for some reason hadn't picked up on this one.

Too late to reprogram everything for a tribute act gig I gave in a few weeks, but from there on in I will definitely be using it.

• Like 2

Found this on another forum - seems to be confirmation that if you have AUM and Midi Layers (or Midiflow as I do), you really don't need Module "Pro" - go with the free version and only add the expansions that work for you. I'm a little skeptical of those 130 programs you get with the Pro version vs the one with non-pro. My guess is that it's not 130 separate instruments - more like a few instruments, each with multiple presets having different eq and efx settings. I unlocked their basic strings and clav when I plugged in my nanoKontroller. They're nothing special; GM player quality is how I'd put it, but that's just my opinion.

The one sound you get with the non-pro Module is a basic acoustic piano. When I first got into iOS device music-making I posted here about how impressed I was with that sound, considering it was a freebie. A few years later and I have to say it hasn't aged that well! It'll get you by in a pinch.

g1ezzsrjr60s.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, if you're running in a host where you can run multiple instances, you shouldn't need to buy the "Performance Expansion", at least just to get splits and layers

Very true. He can layer sounds any way he like, as well as create keyboard and velocity splits.

Member of the Gig Performer team

Hadn’t heard of Midi layers until I read it here. Am looking into aum but not having a set list feature is holding me back. Seems like this should do the trick with a bit of preparation. 

I did come across Sunday Keys which is very well laid out, as close to MainStage for an iPad as you can get. However it’s a subscription model which I really don’t like as in order to get use of “advanced features” (ability to load other Auv plugins) you need to sign up for the subscription model. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

1 hour ago, Dockeys said:

Hadn’t heard of Midi layers until I read it here. Am looking into aum but not having a set list feature is holding me back. Seems like this should do the trick with a bit of preparation. 

For comparison, you can see how Keystage's set list feature works if you watch this video starting at 57:25. It's worth watching all the way to the end from that point (it's not very long) because it shows some other screens that are likely to be of interest.

Next is a video on the set list feature of Camelot Pro. It seems kind of weird to me that they show you creating your set list first, and then the songs (another CP tutorial video did the same). I would think the more logical workflow to present would be to create songs first, and then put them in a set list. Hmmm! But I've never gotten that far in my own brief experimentations with the app.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Still VanDerGraaf said:

One of the hidden masterpieces of doing these things on the Korg Oasys/Kronos system in my hardware-only days was the smart options they gave players- volume fade/rise crossovers in splits and layers, dependent on your choice of key position/split point. Finding that in Midi Layers was a joy. Another missing puzzle piece.

Crossfading around split points can be useful. Something I'd like even more is a floating split point, which Mainstage has (though it's been done before). I don't know whether any of the iOS hosts have that feature. Anyone?

ScreenShot2024-04-15at4_24_26PM.jpg.cb820af8f29af01cdbcb7477ca861179.jpg

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Lots of interesting sidenotes to it also!

I have finally bit the bullet and bought several KORG Module expansions.

Initially, I already had these, also bought on previous sales:

• KORG Module Performance Expansion
  • KORG Organ & Clav Collection
  • SYNTHOGY Ivory Mobile American D
  • SCARBEE Classic EP-88M
  • KORG Wurley Electric Piano
  • KApro Monumental Choir Dreams
  • KApro Orchestral Dreams
  • KORG Mellow Tape Keyboard
  • KAPro Dreamy Synths

Now, I have added these:

• KORG 80s Dance Pop
  • KApro London Symphonic Orchestra
  • KApro Supreme Cello
  • KORG Far North
  • KORG Hybrid Synth Pack 2

And, as a plus, I have got also MIDI Layers

So I am set until next sale!

Jose

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 12:26 AM, AnotherScott said:

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with the Ivory Mobile Grand purchase, I wouldn't do that one again. Maybe I'll try the OASYS demo tomorrow.

In looking again, I see I didn't actually buy the Ivory Mobile Grand... I tried the demo, and chose not to buy it.

Meanwhile, I've now tried the OASYS piano, liked it, decided to buy it... but although the sale was supposed to run through the 15th, it said it was going to charge me $29.99, even though it's still the 15th. Since I don't actually have an immediate need (it's questionable how much I "need" it at all), I decided to pass. As my mom used to tell my sister, "there will always be another sale."

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

In looking again, I see I didn't actually buy the Ivory Mobile Grand... I tried the demo, and chose not to buy it.

Meanwhile, I've now tried the OASYS piano, liked it, decided to buy it... but although the sale was supposed to run through the 15th, it said it was going to charge me $29.99, even though it's still the 15th. Since I don't actually have an immediate need (it's questionable how much I "need" it at all), I decided to pass. As my mom use to tell my sister, "there will always be another sale."

At least we know now the regular price for it!. I wonder why they don't put both prices when discounted...

All in all, you are right, "need" in one of these is not usually accurate 😉

I certainly don't think the Oasys piano deserves a £30 price tag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I certainly don't think the Oasys piano deserves a £30 price tag.

Absolutely- crazy pricing for one 20 year-old piano sound.

It can be made to cut very well through loud rock bands and I used it in exactly that way live on my hardware Oasys.

That does not make it worth £30. 

I would say £10 would be a fair price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Still VanDerGraaf said:

Absolutely- crazy pricing for one 20 year-old piano sound.

It can be made to cut very well through loud rock bands and I used it in exactly that way live on my hardware Oasys.

That does not make it worth £30. 

I would say £10 would be a fair price.

Yup, that was the price I would have grabbed it as I know I would use it more than the other pianos, and it turns my Keystage and iPad into a decent sounding instrument.

But, £30 is really milking this when something new and much more powerful like the Nerd synth is £4.99. For the record, I always thought Korg app prices were very reasonable, especially given the regular sales, but this is their most expensive expansion and, for that, you might hope for a Kronos quality piano set.

• Like 1