Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noob Question: Getting the sounds

Just my 2c, but as a keyboardist I generally don't worry too much about trying to match patches.  Often, the bands themselves don't when they play live (if they are actually playing and not using tracks).

Often I just come up with a plan during the song, both for sounds and the parts :)  ....granted, songs with what I'll call a "signature part" I'll spend more time on.  Superstition, I'll play a clav--though lately I've been using an organ instead of keyboard horn parts, which I dislike.   Our guitarist doubles those horn lines so we already are going to sound different from the original.  If I'm playing Styx' Blue Collar Man, I'll program a crunchy organ, if it's their song Foolin' Yourself I'll have a couple different solo patches (one for intro, one for the keyboard solos) where I'll do my best to sound similar.  I use a "sync" lead sound for the Cars' Let's Go....and so on.  Those are signature parts IMO.    A song like "Manic Monday" I use a piano with some strings on top of it and am done programming in 10 seconds...it just isn't that important to work out the details on that song.   (Most) others I reckon will strongly disagree, but it takes all sorts as the saying goes :D 

Heretical!  I know some players are quite meticulous about getting the patches dead on...I just can't be "arsed" as the saying goes!   Again, to a point...I do try to make sure the sound I use matches the song, and our version of that song (with possibly a different lineup from the original band).

As far as synth sounds, most of us here have experience in recognizing these types of sounds and quickly finding something to get into the ballpark.  "That's a synth brass type of thing probably made with sawtooth waves" etc.  Much in the way a guitarist could maybe tell that's single coils played through a marshall :)  

• Like 1

The greatest Strat sound in history was a Les Paul. 😀

• Haha 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, CEB said:

The greatest Strat sound in history was a Les Paul

Cool fact. Even better than "Black Velvet is synth bass", and "7 Nation Army is a guitar through a pedal".

Cheers, Mike.

7 minutes ago, SteveNathan said:

???? Maybe I’m the only one who doesn’t get this. 

Gilmour’s solo on Another Brick in the wall is often mistaken as a Strat.  He played it on a 1955 Gold Top. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You already bought the 2700? It's a great board from a good company.
However (and I hate to sound like a broken record, plus I'm not even that big of a new Roland fan) based on what you've described you might be a good candidate for a Roland VR09 or better, VR-730.  EASILY alter/weak any one of the varied preset sounds to match (a ton of immediate, 1to1 controls onhand for the hands = fast.
I've yet to find a sound that couldn't be (quickly) approximated (or nailed to a T). Plus it's super light-weight, pretty damn cheap.

The VR synth engine and ENV and filter ctrls + FX control is about as useful and immediate as they come for a preset keyboard. The VR organ is better imo than Kurz as well it has a hands on db set. VR has about as much of 'all' as possible (for Roland that is).  Kurz ac piano is better. e.pianos/etc you'll have to test both to gauge need/use.  Kurz offers deeper synthesis and programming (it's involved, there's a learning curve to reach max use/enjoyment).

Another route is a laptop, controller, and various free or paid vsts.