Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Vintage VST Instrument

So, Behringer put out a free VST a day or two ago.  Free in the sense that they want to collect your email address in exchange for it.  

I wasn't able to grab it because their customers hammered the site for a "free" VST and the page is now down.  But I expect it to return.

https://plugins.musictribe.com/behringer/0723-AAD

What interests me more so is if this is an area they are going to get into now.   Did they commission it, buy it off a developer, or was it done in house? 🤔

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

They have announced long time ago that they one day will release a DAW, based on my experience with anything software from them so far (companion apps for synths, drum machines, and mixers) they definitely will have to prove that they can manage software before I'd even touch any type of production workflow software from them.

They're great on hardware these days, love my DM12, and one of my friends run their digital app controlled mixer with his band live and is super happy with it too, (well, except the control software for that mixer), so yeah, who ever wrote that plugin, makes no difference, it will not come close to any of my computers...

:D

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Just now, J.F.N. said:

They have announced long time ago that they one day will release a DAW, based on my experience with anything software from them so far (companion apps for synths, drum machines, and mixers) they definitely will have to prove that they can manage software before I'd even touch any type of production workflow software from them.

They're great on hardware these days, love my DM12, and one of my friends run their digital app controlled mixer with his band live and is super happy with it too, (well, except the control software for that mixer), so yeah, who ever wrote that plugin, makes no difference, it will not come close to any of my computers...

:D

They sold so many mixers that require software to function over the last 10 years, there’s a lot of people dependent on them maintaining the control software - especially on iOS devices.  When their app gets broken and goes unupdated the whining is plenty loud.  Thankfully some third party devs have also jumped on mix control software that speaks to their mixers.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

7 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

They sold so many mixers that require software to function over the last 10 years, there’s a lot of people dependent on them maintaining the control software - especially on iOS devices.  When their app gets broken and goes unupdated the whining is plenty loud.  Thankfully some third party devs have also jumped on mix control software that speaks to their mixers.  

My friend never had any direct breakdown of the app, he just isn't overly impressed with how it is designed and works...

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I don't see myself adding the noble history 🤢 of such a hit-&-miss-&-miss company to my stack. The fact that they HAVE released a few pieces that work properly makes the negatives harder to bear. WTH, Uli? Even the Big 3 have released a few embarrassments, but they're about 90% Good. That number feels flipped here. I already have a stable DAW, 40 instruments (I only need 30 of them :D) and a shiny work flow. I need another VA like I need 6 toes on one foot. (pause) Same to you.

May the court note that the witness in no way seeks to castigate satisfied Behringer players. Part of synthesis is the journey towards your own ideal man/woman studio cave. No two are alike and if I don't like it, I can cram a lump-in-the-middle power supply. Fair play, oi!

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that was like choosing which future child a giant corp was going to get…

registering felt like joining a cult, so I gave them everything!!! Anonymously of course…

Regardless of the sound it makes, the user interface is a great example of NOT menu diving to get to specific parameters of each section. At first glance, all the “knobs” placed around a “screen” seemed, disconnected and haphazard… but upon actual usage i find the way the “screen”  is an additional “surface” for each section as they as actioned, to be a good choice.

And the left to right signal chain layout makes it feel like a super simplified soft deepmind…

Obviously this creates some workflow drawbacks.

the GUI has some serious lag, but nothing horrible in terms of latency with audio or realtime changes thru midi.

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 2

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

On 4/9/2024 at 7:15 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

What interests me more so is if this is an area they are going to get into now.   Did they commission it, buy it off a developer, or was it done in house? 🤔

According to this (at 2:16) the developer was Orestron - specifically mentioning Stefano D' Angelo. Dunno if this is a Behringer company or not - a quick search did not yield it's ownership. 

• Like 1

He's a gun for hire well-known in the industry apparently.

https://dangelo.audio/

• Like 3

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Might give it a go if it really offers anything new. Any reviews of this yet?

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

The original Behringer video didn't make a great impression, but d'Angelo is behind a host of very advanced Virtual Analogue VSTi by well-known providers, including Arturia's. He's also an active Researcher in the field, including component-level modeling which has inherent advantages regarding anti-aliasing, so worth checking out IMO.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

Tried it out briefly today. The GUI is slow AF to load; the filter is unmusical; it forgets the last used preset in Reaper...

The only use I found for it so far, is to add some sizzle to a synth bass patch.

There are easily a dozen excellent free plugins out there that: loads in no time; sounds great; and follows VST preset protocols properly. Behringer would have to pay me to use this piece of crap at its current state.

• Like 2

I always welcome new free vsts and have collected way way way too many over the years. Some are really good and rival paid vsts. After listening to a few demo videos this first attempt by Behringer sounds like some freebie SynthEdit vst from 20 years ago. I was hoping for something better than that. They're doing the right thing by giving it away. I'll pass.

• Like 2

As well as the full set of Logic AU units and Korg Gadgets, I have the Korg Collection, Pigments, Sylenth, Moog and a few more, as well as loads of IOS apps, I can’t see me getting any use from this given those comments.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5