Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any NI Kontrol S MK3 experts here?

I bought a "demo" S49 MKIII from Sweetwater. It powers up in "Default MIDI Templete" mode and will not go into controller mode so that I can see the pretty pictures while i browse all the instruments and patches in the Komplete Kontrol software. I spent 4 hours updating BIOS, making sure require background programs are running, set drive permissions on the Mac, tried two different USB-C cables, two different computers, connecting with and without a hub, and I connected a USB-C charger to the power input just in case my computers were not putting out sufficient power to fully power the device. Searched the web for every possible solution, found one person on the NI forum with the problem. They came back and said they fixed it but did not say how. Contacted Sweetwater who had a person spend an hour showing me how to use Komplete Kontrol software before I got him to understand that the problem is that the keyboard will not go into Controller mode, only MIDI. He tried a few things, opened a ticket with NI, told me they will be contacting my by email, then nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Within Komplete Kontrol software the keyboard show up under "Settings - MIDI" and I can enable it for input and output. Under the controller menu at the top it lists the collection of S series keyboards but they are all greyed out, including my S49 MK3.

IMG_2453.thumb.JPG.1b86a19a4b64bfe1f7cbc2083701f718.JPG

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

You don’t need to do anything to your Mac. There is no BIOS on a Mac anyway.

Do you have the NI Hardware Connection Service app installed?

If you do (I’m guessing you don’t, from your description),then open either Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol plugins in a MainStage or Logic Pro channel strip (or your choice of other DAW).

If either of these NI plugins are active in the channel strip, select an instrument from either of those plugins.

That instrument should automatically load into the Kontrol S49 MK3 and show its artwork and controls on the keyboard screen.

It could also be that since you have a demo unit, it might be possible that the unit was already previously registered to someone (at Sweetwater). Or maybe they never actually registered the unit, and you need to do that.

Here’s the setup procedure:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/kontrol-setup/

Did you input the unit’s serial number, and update the unit’s firmware as mentioned in the link above?

not an expert but I have one, and it was a battle for me too, although mine was a pre-prod prototype unit. these days it should "just work", ;) plug and play 

the pretty graphics will show up even if you just use Kontakt, you don't need the KK wrapper any more. Use that if you want 3rd party plugins and NKS integration. Give it a try.

but you MUST have the latest or very recent Kontakt version, and to get that you MUST have the latest Native Access installed. They released a major new version of NA and that needs to be downloaded and installed manually.

good luck!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Rob, there is good advice in the above posts.  The latest version of Komplete Kontrol is 3.2.1 The latest version of Kontakt os 7.9.

I downloaded and installed them both late last evening. I own a NI SL 61 MK II, everything working correctly for me. 

Hope you get sorted out soon

:nopity:

15 hours ago, Ed A. said:

You don’t need to do anything to your Mac. There is no BIOS on a Mac anyway.

Do you have the NI Hardware Connection Service app installed?

I was talking about the BIOS/firmware on the keyboard. I updated it to the latest version. NIHardwareConnection service is one of the two background programs that I checked to make sure they are running. It was previously registered to someone else and Sweetwater had to get the SN moved to me before I could do anything. Now registered in my name. I've used Komplete Kontrol with earlier keyboard models and upgraded to the S49mk3 for the poly-aftertouch. This has me stumped. I did find a thread about going in and out of MIDI control mode. NI has a page dedicated to button combos that enable/disable MIDI control mode for several devices but they don't list the S MK3. I don't know if it does not have a switchable mode or if they have not updated that page with information on the latest product. Note in the picture that buttons with options like "Controller" are not lit up and will not respond. I sent this picture to NI. Waiting for a response from customer service. It is a slow process when every question they ask means another 24 hours for them to respond to my answer.

5 hours ago, Doerfler said:

Rob, there is good advice in the above posts.  The latest version of Komplete Kontrol is 3.2.1 The latest version of Kontakt os 7.9.

Kontrol was up to date on both computers.

Native Access was up to date on the MacMini, just updated to the latest on the MacBookPro

I have not yet upgraded to the latest release of Komplete (waiting for the 50% off sale) so I am on Kontakt 6.8.0. Komplete Ultimate 13 Collector's Edition

Edit: I do have Kontakt 7. It was included with my S49mk3 package and automatically added to my account when I registered the SN of the keyboard.

2 hours ago, RABid said:

Kontrol was up to date on both computers.

Native Access was up to date on the MacMini, just updated to the latest on the MacBookPro

I have not yet upgraded to the latest release of Komplete (waiting for the 50% off sale) so I am on Kontakt 6.8.0. Komplete Ultimate 13 Collector's Edition

Just to echo kona's point, are you sure it's NA 2 that you have updated to the latest? A month ago I was having a lot of issues with my Kontakt libraries, and it turns out that even though NA1 (which I think you distinguish by the color scheme, 1 is light and 2 is dark) was updated and there was no mention of compatibility issues or obsolescence, turns out I still needed to download NA 2 for my libraries and Kontakt 7 to update. 

50 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Just to echo kona's point, are you sure it's NA 2 that you have updated to the latest?

It is actually NA 3.9.1 now. It was already updated on my MacMini because it is a newer computer and I installed everything from scratch. NA on my MacBookPro was still version 1 and it never mentioned the need to upgrade. I did not realize it until I saw Kona's post.

Still waiting on a reply from support. I leave for my eclipse adventure early in the morning so if not today, it will be a week before I get this resolved.

10 hours ago, RABid said:

Edit: I do have Kontakt 7. It was included with my S49mk3 package and automatically added to my account when I registered the SN of the keyboard.

That's great.  I paid US $99 just to upgrade to Kontakt 7 about 18 months ago.  Well worth the price of admission due to the huge factory library upgrade, the new GUI is icing on the cake.

I haven't upgraded Komplete in 3.5 years myself

:nopity:

On 4/5/2024 at 9:07 PM, RABid said:

It is actually NA 3.9.1 now

Beware, the numbering is misleading. NA 1 last version is 3.9.1 (1.16.0.0). if the background is white, you are on NA 1. If it is black, NA 2

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Beware, the numbering is misleading. NA 1 last version is 3.9.1 (1.16.0.0). if the background is white, you are on NA 1. If it is black, NA 2

Sorry, this is not true, I goofed... I have just checked and my NA 2 was shown in white background because the selected theme. I thought it was NA 1 due to that. The definitive answer is to check by selecting Help and then About Native Access. There you can see the name of the application as nativeaccess2 in the window which opens

1 hour ago, RABid said:

ScreenShot2024-04-07at4_31_17PM.png.af393d66a30a57d9d8a9296e023f9ff9.pngScreenShot2024-04-07at4_31_17PM.png.af393d66a30a57d9d8a9296e023f9ff9.png

So on Windows is different than on Mac, as it shows that extra information which is not here. All in all, it seems exactly the same version, so you are good to go 👍🏻