Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(OT) How is your weather?

Big storms moving across the nation today. So far everything has gone north of me but we are supposed to get hit with multiple waves of storms starting in a couple hours as they start developing further south. For the first time that I remember. Interstate 75 south of Lexington KY closed due to downed power lines. They have the interstate open now but will have to close it again when the power company restrings the high voltage lines going across both lanes of the interstate.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm in Southern California. It's gorgeous today. We've gotten more rains in the past week, and we've had unusual weather patterns and some enormous rains this winter.

• Cool 1

43F with showers around NYC. March was windy.  April has started off rainy.  Not surprising.  What is different is the quantity.  Windy enough to break things, rainy enough to flood.  That’s getting pretty common in recent seasons.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 4/2/2024 at 12:32 PM, RABid said:

Wow. University of Kentucky and University of Louisville both closed, along with state offices in Kentucky.

Looks like Kentucky got torn up pretty badly. I hope you're okay, no trees fell on your house, and you at least have electricity.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:12 PM, Philbo King said:

After a night of thunderstorms and rain, it's been snowing all day here in Iowa.

Iowa Was crazy!  Blizzard and 3in accumulation in the morning,  warming to the mid 40s and melting off by afternoon.
Today was Gusting to 50mph with a high temp of 53F.   

We are used to that though.   Many years have university classed are cancelled returning from Easter weekend.  We’re not out of the woods until June 6 or so.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

A cold front moved through yesterday. A couple of hours of rain, thankfully, after our outdoor gig was done and our gear was packed out. Highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60s tonight. Can't complain.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

On 4/2/2024 at 12:36 PM, RABid said:

For the first time that I remember. Interstate 75 south of Lexington KY closed due to downed power lines.

I'm in the Great White North on the east side and the system you got earlier is stuck here since 30+ hours. We had crazy 80 km/h winds for 24 hours and they finally begin to slow down with the depression system turning around on itself. Lots of power outages in the whole province, not good.

Enjoying the last of the 3 months I can enjoy here :)   The house has (mostly) been open though I've run AC for some stretches this winter.   I like it 76 or below, once it hits that in the house on the AC goes.

Soon I'll be back to grumbling and complaining for the next 9.

Spring hasn't totally sprung here yet.  The rain is on schedule but temps are still a bit chilly.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

We had a 4.8 quake about 29 miles SW. Had to clean up some glass from a dozen picture frames and the soundbar dropped off the TV taking out most of my Darth Vader collection, but they have been repaired.

IMG_2599.jpeg

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Maybe the quake was foreshock and the big one is coming... NJ falling into the ocean 😮

wx here in Los Angeles is rainy, sunny, cloudy, windy and cold today.  Snow level down to 3,000 feet.  A little bit of everything.  It was 82 a couple of days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I never learn.

Had a gig Saturday starting at 6pm...outdoors, covered stage area.   Weather app said 0% chance of rain, 0 clouds and 74 degrees at show start.  Glorious!

We get ready to start and at 6pm the sun is now just under the roof at an angle directly at our faces and my weather app says 78.  It felt like 98, it was a concrete stage area and I think there was a lot of reflected heat.  One ipad used to mix shut down.   My keyboard was hot to the touch.   I myself almost shut down....I am sensitive to heat, been that way since I was a young tennis player teen in great shape so it's not just being old and heavier :D.  I couldn't see my keyboard's screen at all without shading it, and then just barely.  My sunglass were borderline hurting more than helping (non-polarized so I could see the screen better).

Like an absolute fool I had left my trusty Lasko fan in the care, because 74 degrees supposedly.    This is a lesson I apparently have to relearn every couple months or so.  ALWAYS BRING THE FAN TO THE STAGE.

Made a second mistake by not taking my cart out of the car when the park workers said I had to move my car away from the stage (where it was supposed to be able to stay) out to Bum **** Egypt.

Because of this gig we just canceled a First Friday August gig...largely uncovered, also at 6pm.   That is just asking for heatstroke and getting rained on, glad we ditched it.   Not to mention I just had surgery to remove a melanoma, f being out in the sun.

I work outdoors in the hot Florida sun all year. Most of the place we play have a cover, and if not, there is a clause to move indoors or cancel with pay if it rains.

First things first. If you are going to this often, do not live in air conditioning. Seasonal adaptation is a slow process, and you will never adapt to the summer heat if you live in a refrigerated environment. BONUS: Air conditioners are one of the biggest contributors to global warming, so you will be doing your part to slow the demise.

If you are going to be in the sun a lot, get one of those portable canopies, or at least some big sun umbrellas. 

Fans, you already know that. I prefer the squirrel cage type of fan, as the rotating blades of the conventional fan make my sax sound like it's in a high speed wah-wah.

Tarp. Bring a tarp if you are outdoors. We played in a botanical garden one day with a 4% chance of rain. You guessed it. One tiny little shower came overhead and got us. The tarp saved us. 

If using guitars or wind instruments, open them up first, so they can adapt to the new temperature and stay in tune.

Back on the OT topic.

Highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60, Southeast breezes (Trade Winds) 10-15 mph coming in off the ocean.

Notes ♫

PS, I have the opposite problem. Here in FL we get occasional cold snaps in the winter, where the temperature suddenly drops 20 degrees or more for a day or two and then warms up again. Because it's sporadic, we dont get seasonal acclimation to the cold. So if the temperature gets under 60, outdoor gigs are very uncomfortable.

Bob "Notes" Norton

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I work outdoors in the hot Florida sun all year. Most of the place we play have a cover, and if not, there is a clause to move indoors or cancel with pay if it rains.

I cannot imagine playing outdoors in Florida. In Louisville KY we played an outdoor hotel pool party in the middle of an early August day with no shade. Not a cloud in the sky and direct sun shining down on my keyboard rig. The plastic coating on the front panel of my main keyboard began to bubble. With a spare mike stand, my A-frame keyboard stand and a bunch of hotel towels I made a tent to shade my keys. I told the band to never, ever book a job like that again.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

That's why I have umbrellas. They look like beach umbrellas, but they have tripod bases. 

I thought about one of those portable canopy covers, but we don't go in the direct sun that often. 3 days a week we are on a covered deck near the ocean, and 2 days a month on another deck at a huge RV resort.

Every now and then we get a pool party at a condo or retirement community. I tell them I need shelter, and they usually provide a canopy. But for the occasions when none is available, out come the trusty umbrellas.

Not living in AC makes all the difference in the world for my comfort at outdoor gigs.

I cool my home the way my parents did when I was a child. Nobody had AC back then. I have a white roof, and I planted shade trees (Live Oak) around the perimeter of the house, but not over the roof. The heat is reflected up by the white roof, and the cooler air from under the trees comes in to replace it. 

So I get seasonal acclimation, and don't 'die' in the summer outdoor gigs like the AC musicians do.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton