Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Programming an HX Effects to be a midi controller for a Catalyst 100

I look forward to Winston Psmith's replies here, when he can get another laptop and get online again!

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried following that video? I must be slow or something, but I couldn't keep up with him, and he jumped from topic to topic like a monkey in heat. I've been through the silly thing 6 times aleady and still don't know how to do what I want. Frustrating! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:14 PM, picker said:

Have you tried following that video? I must be slow or something, but I couldn't keep up with him, and he jumped from topic to topic like a monkey in heat. I've been through the silly thing 6 times aleady and still don't know how to do what I want. Frustrating! 

I know, right?! I went through that years ago with m y DigiTech GNX4, and that even had a very large, thoroughly detailed, in-depth manual; I never did get its Looper and PC software to work...  :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Trying my luck here, see if this thing doesn't crash . . .

Couldn't watch the video, so my apologies if I'm also going over things that are obvious.

Quick take - PC (Program Change) Commands should be among the simplest and most direct forms of MIDI communication, even more so than Note On/Note Off. CC (Continuous Controller) Commands are generally more complex.

Start out with the two devices disconnected from one another, and check which MIDI Channel each is set to, and that MIDI PC Commands are enabled in both. for simplicity's sake, you might as well set them both Send and Receive MIDI data on Channel 1, then turn them off, for the moment. If you're using a MFX as your Master Controller, connect the MIDI Out from the MFX to the MIDI In on the Catalyst, turn the Catalyst on first, then the HX. (Admittedly, this is an old-school approach to powering up a MIDI rig, where the Master Controller is the last thing you power up.)

Ideally, when you switch Presets on your MFX, you should see that the Catalyst is also changing Presets.

You may have to dive into MIDI re-mapping, making sure that Preset #1 on your MFX brings up Preset #1, so that your Patches line up with one another. If you've been busy tweaking Presets and moving them around within your devices, you may find that their PC #'s don't correspond to their position in your User Preset banks: the Preset you've stored in #1 might be sending a very different PC#, depending on where the original Preset was.

You can, of course, set things up so that Preset #1 on your MFX brings up Preset #13 on the Catalyst, I find that it's somewhat easier to manage your Presets if the numbers align, as well. It also helps if your MFX has a good legible display, so you know that you're dialing up the Surf Safari Preset, instead of trying to remember which # is which Preset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Bumping this one to check and see if @picker had any luck?

FWIW, there seems to be a LOT of online discussion around using the HX as a MIDI Controller, and a fair amount of confusion, as well.

It seems that there is a Command Center within the HX, where you should be able to set up MIDI commands, although most of the discussion surrounds using the HX for CC (Continuous Controller) commands, rather than simple PC (Program Change) commands?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com