Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bose L1 Model 2 vs Compact

Hi there!

I have a Bose L1 Model 2 which is crystal clear and nicely spreading, however it's too big and heavy and I lack the stereo. I was using it for AP sounds for my Yamaha Cp4. I was wondering if the smaller Bose L1 Compact is as (or nearly as) nice and clean sounding as the Model 2. I was wondering if anyone has any experience comparing them side by side? I was thinking of either using two compacts or one compact for spreading and one EV ZXA1 as a floor monitor for jazz-trio setting in small places.

You'll find the L1 compact unacceptable for most keyboard work.  The response curve has a pronounced "boom" below 400 Hz, and can't be EQ'd away.  Annoying as hell. 

I had one and sold it to a solo singer/guitarist, as it's perfect for that sort of work.  There are other non-Bose similar designs that are quite good, but stay away from the low end stuff.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

28 minutes ago, cphollis said:

There are other non-Bose similar designs that are quite good

Thank you! Is there anything you've tried and would recommend?

Also, is the new pro8 any better?

I see a lot of these around, and they sound great at smaller venues:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IP1000V2--turbosound-inspire-ip1000

The Pro 8 looks much better than the L1 Compact on paper.  I'm sure it would be fine as well.

• Love 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm impressed with the sound of the Pro 8.

My guess is that the EV Evolve 30M may well sound better (and goes louder), but the horizontal dispersion of 120 degrees means you probably really want a pair for full PA coverage, whereas the 180 degrees of the Bose means you can much better coverage out of just a single unit.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

but the horizontal dispersion of 120 degrees means you probably really want a pair for full PA coverage,

That's fine since I want stereo, but then I end up with a big and heavy system again, don't I? (Like my model 2)

I don't think the 30M is nearly as cumbersome as the model 2, though it is a bit heavier than the Pro 8.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, cphollis said:

You'll find the L1 compact unacceptable for most keyboard work.  The response curve has a pronounced "boom" below 400 Hz, and can't be EQ'd away.  Annoying as hell. 

I had one and sold it to a solo singer/guitarist, as it's perfect for that sort of work.  There are other non-Bose similar designs that are quite good, but stay away from the low end stuff.

As you would expect, one can see it completely different. I use my L1 compact a lot for keyboard work. Sometimes as my single amp / speaker, or as a PA for a little quartet. I use the EQ on my board, and your CP4 should have a master eq as well.
But I can't compare to the bigger model you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Samb said:

Do you mean Rhodes/Wurli etc or acoustic piano sound? Because that's a huge difference.

Both! One thing to know is you should listen to that rig from audience distance to judge the sound. In the room it’s better than on the stage most of the times. 

• Like 1