Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Juno DS -Configuring Pitch Bender

The Juno DS has a pitch bender (instead of a modulation wheel) It was one reason I purchased it over other synths.  The bender only adjusts the pitch by a half or full step.  I would like to have it adjust the pitch by an octave or more.  Is there an easy way to configure that?  I can't figure it out after months of owning the synth.

My first synth was a Juno 106.  It had a bender and it had a much greater range.  Could do some really interesting stuff on solos with it.

Thanks for any information. 

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

1 hour ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

The Juno DS has a pitch bender (instead of a modulation wheel) It was one reason I purchased it over other synths.  The bender only adjusts the pitch by a half or full step.  I would like to have it adjust the pitch by an octave or more.  Is there an easy way to configure that?  I can't figure it out after months of owning the synth.

My first synth was a Juno 106.  It had a bender and it had a much greater range.  Could do some really interesting stuff on solos with it.

Thanks for any information. 

I don't have mine out of the case so I'm only going by memory but I believe it is fully adjustable per patch ( performance) . In fact some of the presets have an octave of change some a minor third and some have other intervals. That global setting is probably an offset.

FunMachine.

Here's the info from the downloadable parameter guide... it's the last parameter listed in this section...

JunoDSpitch.thumb.jpg.732cbfd31184f9d8c7aeb5a1c34c103b.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks a lot for the help on this.  I press the Menu button, then Edit and Patch edit, select the Pitch tab, the edit the Pitch Bend ranges.

This has to be done for each particular Patch I want to change.  Then I need to Write the Patch as a new Patch or as the existing Patch (need to be careful not to wreck the existing Patch).   Pretty complicated but I get it now and this opens the door to editing sounds generally with the Juno DS.  Thanks

• Like 1

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

10 hours ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

Then I need to Write the Patch as a new Patch or as the existing Patch (need to be careful not to wreck the existing Patch). 

You only need to be careful not to wreck an existing patch if the patch you're altering was one of your own to begin with (e.g. something you've previously altered). I don't believe it is possible to overwrite an existing factory patch, all of your new/modified patches are saved in User locations.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

12 hours ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

Then I need to Write the Patch as a new Patch or as the existing Patch (need to be careful not to wreck the existing Patch). 

Unless I'm misunderstanding, if the only thing you're doing is editing the pitch bend range, you're not really "wrecking" the existing patch by writing it back to the same place. I see no good reason to write to a new patch - that would result in two patches that differ only in that one parameter.

The other thing the bender bar is supposed to do is add vibrato-when I push it forward.   Tips on how to configure this?  I see that the bender adds the vibrato with some organ sounds but doesn't with synth sounds.

23 hours ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

Thanks a lot for the help on this.  I press the Menu button, then Edit and Patch edit, select the Pitch tab, the edit the Pitch Bend ranges.

This has to be done for each particular Patch I want to change.

You can change it for each particular patch by picking patch edit, or you can change it for all the patches in a performance by picking performance edit.

9 hours ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

The other thing the bender bar is supposed to do is add vibrato-when I push it forward.   Tips on how to configure this? 

In the parameter guide, on the page right after the page that had the pitch bend info I pointed you to, you'll find the info for vibrato settings (again, available per patch or for an entire performance).

vibrato.jpg.7be723b2281767c8f16701ff9c9323e3.jpg

Thank you for the additional feedback.  I dont see Offset in patch edit-I don't think it works with that.  With Juno 106 bender, I could push it forward for modulation and release would stop modulation.  That is what I want to do.  I just emailed Roland Support on this.  I'll post if they give me a solution.

1 hour ago, Jamkeys2000 said:

Thank you for the additional feedback.  I dont see Offset in patch edit-I don't think it works with that.  With Juno 106 bender, I could push it forward for modulation and release would stop modulation.  That is what I want to do. 

I didn't say anything about offset... I think what you're trying to do is done with the Vibrato parameter I pointed you to.

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I didn't say anything about offset... I think what you're trying to do is done with the Vibrato parameter I pointed you to.

Check to see if you have latch instead of momentary selected. Idk where that selection is but its gotta be somewhere.

FunMachine.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out but haven't yet.   The sound I am looking for with the bender forward push is modulation-which is vibrato.  I can't find the setting which makes the activation of the vibrato contigent on the bender (if that is what is going on).  Roland support has not been much help.

I have found a synth patch that has the bender modulation functionality.   I am trying to figure out the difference between that patch and the others that don't have this functionality. 

I don't see anything different with the things on Parameter p.18.

I emailed Roland support and they were not helpful.  He said he didn't have the Juno DS available so couldn't give an exact answer.

check again my posts earlier in this thread, I think possibly you missed one or two of them. I think they should put you on the right track, unless I'm mis-remembering something about the DS myself. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out how to fix the bender modulation.   Clicked Menu, and then System.  Then, in the Contol tab, I changed System Ctrl 1 Source to Cc01 Modulation.   After I did that, the bender modulation works with almost all patches. 

From my research, this is a way to configure various things using something similar to midi.  Within each patch, I can edit the sound produced by these system controls using MTrx CTRL like altering LFO.  Since the change resulted in the bender modulation working for almost alk patches, it may be that System Cont1 was modulation out of the box and I changed it at some point...or, it wasn't set up right out of the box. 

For midi controller sounds, used the DAW to set the Pitch Bend range up and down for midi instruments (modulation settings for Juno DS works on midi instruments).

Thanks to everyone that posted -posts helped.

• Like 1