Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small footprint, jack-of-all-trades board

On 3/21/2024 at 9:19 AM, AnotherScott said:

Another possibility could be a used Korg Microstation, if you don't mind mini-keys.

Jupiter-Xm! Can't get more JOAT than that in a small footprint, if you don't mind mini-keys. :laugh:   But if that's way overkill for your needs, I second an iPad and a small controller, or one of the 3-octave Korg synths like the Wavestate. Assume you're talking about just one-handed playing?

• Like 2

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

55 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Ah. A quick look at the sound list in the manual didn't turn them up. (They are in the sound list for the original KK.)

It's interesting that the Neo lacks the Brass, Strings, Piano, and Key program categories of its predecessor, though I see that the waves available (when creating your own sounds) do include PCM samples (actually, more of them than the original KK did, though fewer DWGS waves). Surprisingly, Korg provides no list of what these PCM (or DWGS) waves are. So you're saying that the Neo still includes all the brass/string/piano/key samples, they just aren't presenting a library of preset sounds that use them?

I wouldn't assume too much. 😉 Really, I think it's a mix. 

The original KK was primarily a VA synth, but there were also a bunch of instantly accessible bread and butter rompler sounds, making it easier for someone to get by with it as their only board. Even if the Neo still has the waves, I don't think it will maintain that particular appeal of the original if the only way to use those sounds is to program them yourself. But maybe they felt that that particular selling point was somewhat incongruous with a board that had only 37 keys to begin with.

I don't know anything about the KK Neo presets, but when I was watching loopops walkthrough a while ago it was clear that the PCM samples are there, and they're actually quite good, and creating electric pianos, clavinets, mellotrons, dx electric pianos, etc. with credibility for working well in a band context, is easy. Piano, a bit limited to create some more advanced things for obvious reasons.

So in the context of the op of his thread, I definitely think it could be something to investigate. My KK (original black one) is a total keeper, it's my bread and butter for everything "Vintage Synth" when required. For the rest (PCM) I have my Kurzweil PC3.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Jupiter Xm is definitely king of the mini's. I could do a show with my Xm and Korg Wavestate. Both have a full range of sounds which makes them nice as backups. My issue with the Akai is load time. I like the instant sound change of a true ROMpler. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:
2 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I assume this community is not a place for players buying instruments for the presets...

I wouldn't assume too much. 😉 Really, I think it's a mix. 

Scott knows best.😉

This forum runs the gamut.  Diehard acoustic and electromechanical KB players.  DX7 haters.  Synth programmers.  Modular pasta lovers.  Preset junkies.  Then, there's a few types in the middle as well.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

48 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Scott knows best.😉

This forum runs the gamut.  Diehard acoustic and electromechanical KB players.  DX7 haters.  Synth programmers.  Modular pasta lovers.  Preset junkies.  Then, there's a few types in the middle as well.😁😎

Hehehe! Yeah I can imagine, and the last decade+ or so we have indeed become very spoiled with ready made sounds of amazing quality on many a boards!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro