Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GForce releases VSM IV • The Sounds From 46 Classic and Rare String Machines

But ... but ... I just bought Virtual String Machine 3 in November! My upgrade price is $53. I need to think about that for a while. Will see what the next Black Friday sales does for the price.

Note that the GForce listed price is 69.99 pounds, which is currently $89.05.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

“Aging Instability Control”? I wish I could control that!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, RABid said:

Note that the GForce listed price is 69.99 pounds, which is currently $89.05.

Hey you're right.  I always forget that when I'm on the GForce website.  

Looks like the GB pound is coming off it's big low against the USD.....

nat

22 hours ago, HammondDave said:

“Aging Instability Control”? I wish I could control that!

That reminds me of a great Doug Stanhope moment: "Did you ever look at yourself in the mirror and say 'That can't be accurate! When did THAT happen??'" 🤨😄

I scratch my head over stringers. You could perhaps claim to whiff a bit of hypocrisy when I am such a Mellotroner, but string synths were a mix between real strings only a 'tron could do at the time and a desire for synth polyphony that was still in the wings. They didn't cover either of those desires to a high degree, but its what was available, so you dealt with it. I enjoy them in music like Klaus Schulze's where the sound is a natural fit, but otherwise, they mostly feel forgettable. I was all over the Mirage because despite the 8-bit graininess, the strings were much closer to real. Heh, talk about an esoteric topic!

As a GForce fan, I find favor with the high quality of their accomplishments, even with pieces I don't personally need. Its hard to imagine doing better than the VSM if that's your stylistic bag. They don't provide a full source list, but it appears that the right materials are there for covering all of the name synths, not just the Solina. GForce always goes deep because they're fanboys like us, so the VSM IV can be seen as a one-&-done string synth vault. 👍 

• Like 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

On 3/19/2024 at 3:45 PM, dazzjazz said:

It’s hard to believe there’s 46 classic and rare string machines!

There are, but 23 of them are at the bottom of an Everest of e-waste. 🙄 That's a whole 'nother thread, but I have to say that I feel just a few % better over my much smaller Mac and going with softsynths over hardware. Of course, I also know I'm kidding myself, because I've been on the ol' electronic heroin since I was a zygote, so my carbon footprint rivals Godzilla's. There is such a thing as too darned late. :facepalm: 

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Based on:

1. My love for vintage records with various string machines

2. My trust for GForce after purchasing their OB-package some months ago

3. My preference for sampled instruments over modeled ones

4. The crazy number of instruments included

5. The fantastic demos

I just purchased it 🥳

• Like 1

I listened to the video and don't know which " string machines " acted as sources for the samples/emulations, but I did not find the sound exquisite at all, for which partially YT and lossy audio codecs can be to blame but probably not in every way.

TV

Only speaking for myself, but I  reckon others might agree--there's an element of nostalgia with these sounds.   Nostalgia making it very hard to objectively judge of course :)  Movies from my youth like Star Wars and Tron were mindblowing and I'd never be able to critique them as I might something new from today.   My kids can, and do  "That's so cheeeesy, Dad!"

I'm not really considering these because I have a bunch as part of Komplete--I doubt they up to this quality, but then I rarely use them in anything I play or write.

Ironically I was strongly considering the Behringer vc340 vocoder/string machine mainly for vocoding--but I was looking at our song list trying to see how much use I'd be able to get out of it.  Answer--not as much as I'd like to warrant bothering with a 2nd keyboard, most of our tunes are classic rock calling for piano, rhodes or organ.   If it had some great controller feature like poly AT I'd get one.

• Like 1