Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ensoniq' ASR-10 Boot Issues

Greetings! I use an ASR-10 Rack Module in my sequencing / tracking rig. For years, it would occasionally be reluctant to fire up. I'd power up with the boot disk inserted and it would just look at me for few seconds....then boot. Eventually it got slower and slower to where I'd power-on and off several times before it would "catch." Now just a couple bank LEDs light and it does not boot. The local service guy thought a new disk drive would do the trick, but....nada. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this? Is there a quick fix? Is there ANY fix? And if so, who's fixing them??? I appreciate any input!! THANK YOU!

55 minutes ago, Rocknpilot said:

The local service guy thought a new disk drive would do the trick, but....nada. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this? Is there a quick fix? Is there ANY fix? And if so, who's fixing them???

Hopefully, the ASR-10 is still configured to boot from the floppy drive instead of SCSI. 

Have the service guy 1) blow out all dust inside the unit and 2) unseat the cables on the main board and DeoxIT the connections. 

Plug everything back up.  See what happens.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think Steve Coscia (SP?) used to work for Ensoniq. Perhaps he can help. You might also look for Chicken Systems. They specialize in sample translation from one format to another, but got their start doing modifications for Ensoniq gear. 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

4 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

I'd bet it is power supply related. 

Definitely could be a power supply issue.  Rule out the easiest fixes first.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just saw this, been traveling.

I just checked the thesoniq.com website and his spare parts are slim - no ASR-Rack spare parts or schematics.

Sam Mimms is your best bet, as Delaware Dave suggested, for a proper diagnosis.

Steve Coscia

I work fixing electronics on my home lab for a living. Lots of problems I find are related to faulty electrolytic capacitors. They can leak and damage the printed circuit boards (PCBs), lose capacity as they dry, short and overload the power rails, ...

So my first check, once the unit is carefully cleaned, would be to look for bulged and/or leaking caps. Leaking, if not obvious, can be found by applying a light with an angle, so you see patches of different reflections on the PCB surfaces. If all seems fine, I would then check the power supply output voltages.

Then it gets harder, as you need to check things like the reset circuit, CPU oscillator, understand the boot up sequence and such. But I hope the failure is not too complex and it is related to the power supply or capacitors elsewhere.

Please, keep us updated!

• Thanks 1