Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with MODX USB Port ~ HELP!

So after performing for nearly 2 years with my iPad Pro plugged into my MODX+ USB port, during yesterday’s rehearsal the sound output of the port stopped working.  I trigger Korg Module, B3x, and several other soft synths from the MODX, and the programs receive signals from it, but the audio plays out of the iPad and is not being sent back to the MODX. I have tried several backup hubs, cables, and nothing makes a difference. 

I plugged in a set of headphones into the hub’s headphone jack, and a stereo signal comes from that. I plugged that into the AD input of the MODX, But the signal is too weak to send to my monitors. 

Last night I went to my keybro VivSavage’s house and we recreated the problem on his brand new MODX7+, So the issue is not with the MODX. (However, in another strange element of this poser, it all worked fine on his Montage!)

Again, this issue came out of the blue. I have been playing this rig this way for over two years now. And this just popped up. I have a gig tonight and really need help. Any ideas?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

I trigger Korg Module, B3x, and several other soft synths from the MODX

First question... How are you triggering these apps? Are they being hosted (e.g. by Camelot Pro, Keystage, AUM), or are they running without a host (just by placing them on different MIDI channels)?

Second question... In what order are you setting this up? Specifically, at what point are you making the USB connection between the iPad and the MODX+? e.g. before powering up the iPad; or after powering up the iPad but before launching the host/apps, etc.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I am not hosting these. They are running independently on the iPad. I mostly use Korg Module and B3X on different MIDI Channels. 

Also, I tried several ways to turn these on and off. For years i plug everything in, and turn on the iPad before the MODX. Yesterday I tried it so many differently ways. No change. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

When you say Korg Module and B3X, are you closing one down and opening another?

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

20 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I mostly use Korg Module and B3X...I tried it so many differently ways. 

One way to be sure to try: Make the USB connection to the MODX+ after you cold-boot the iPad, but before launching Module or B3X. Other ways may work, but I believe that way should always work to allow apps to see an external audio destination.

Also, I don't know about Module, but B3X has an "output device" pop-down on its setting screen. Do you see any option there other than "iOS Audio"?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

38 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

When you say Korg Module and B3X, are you closing one down and opening another?

No, they are both open all the time. The performances on the MODX choose which IOS program plays. 

44 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Also, I don't know about Module, but B3X has an "output device" pop-down on its setting screen. Do you see any option there other than "iOS Audio"? 

Yes, it says “IOS Audio”. No other options. 

IMG_1082.jpeg

Even tried running everything through AUM. No dice. 

Update. VivSavage suggested that I try running VB3 from my iPhone using the same usb hub, and it worked!   Obviously an iPad issue, which I will get repaired this week. 

Thank you Viv and all of you on this site. 

7 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Obviously an iPad issue, which I will get repaired this week. 

Before you bring it in for repair (at least if you're no longer under warranty), you might want to try a fresh re-install.

• Like 1

Was there by any chance an iOS update at some point?

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Latest info on this. I drove up to my partner’s house this week where I store my Numa Piano X, and I plugged the iPad through the hub into the USB port on the Numa and it works!  I can play Korg Module and B3X from the Numa and the sound returns into the NUMA’s USB port and then through its output. Exactly what should be happening with the MODX.

Considering this is what happened when we played it through Viv Savage’s MODX and it did not work (although it did work on his montage), points to the problem being in the MODX.