Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianist Matt Rollings: How to Be a Session Musician People Want to Hire

I found it a good read, even if your goal is not particularly to find more session work.  His online course goes wide, not deep -- a little bit of everything a gigging keyboard player should know. 

I think he meant "clavinet" when he listed "clavichord" in the syllabus-- not much call for that sound these days.

image.thumb.png.7d874de7b04b5ba2493de69e7b000540.png

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Yes the only constant is change.     For me it's been both playing and recording and being I jumping back to recording for fun and taking a Berklee class it is really strange seeing the how much recording has changed since the 1970's then my intro to DAW in 2008 to now and everyone specializes in single role.  What a long strange trips it's been. 

11 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

That guy drops pearls of wisdom like some people clear their throats.

Horking and spitting?  :pop:

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

1 hour ago, The Real MC said:

In short it's not what you know, it's who you know.  Just like the engineering profession of my day job.

and from my days in recording I saw engineers that were okay getting a lot of work, so I asked some of those using him the answers was he always had great weed.    

Then the one that makes a lot of sense is some session guys I knew were real good, but there was a lot of real good musician so why them?  They made the sessions a good environment, they were funny and could calm things down when session was getting tense.  So their personality help producers get more done in sessions.   Unlike a legendary Jazz guitarist who got into doing session work for awhile who hated doing sessions sometimes even giving the artist they are recording for the cold shoulder.  So being a team player is important to doing session work.