Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL Thread 2024-2025

13 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I only caught a bit of one game this weekend, didn't realize they changed the kickoff...wtf....not sure why they don't get ditch it at this point.

I'm not a fan of the new kickoff and associated rules.🙄

I understand it's for player safety but it still looks goofy as h8ll. 

Hopefully, it goes away after a season or two.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

31 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The rules were changed.  Each team gets a chance to possess the ball unless the 1st team scores a TD. 

Stop the 1st team with possession from scoring a TD. Then, score by any means (TD or FG) and win the game. Seems fair enough.😎 

I know this rule. That's what I think is not fair. Both teams work hard and end regular play in a tie. Just because the team that wins the coin toss and receives the ball in OT scores a TD, the opposing team does not get a chance to show that they are just as good. It's unfair. It means the outcome of the game is effectively decided by who wins the coin toss. The better team did not win because the opposing team did not have an opportunity to show that they were just as good. The winning team won the coin toss and that's all they won. You didn't outscore your opponent if your opponent didn't get an equal  chance to play. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

6 minutes ago, El Lobo said:

The better team did not win because the opposing team did not have an opportunity to show that they were just as good. The winning team won the coin toss and that's all they won. 

The *better* team should be able to play defense too.😉

Stop the opposing team from marching downfield on mostly running plays and scoring...on a running play.🤣

Even with the latest rule change, the coin winning team doesn't always win the game. A few games have ended in a tie.

Equally good or sorry depending on your perspective or favorite team.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

New baseball rule: score is tied after 9 innings. 10th inning: 1st team that scores a run wins the game. Top of inning team is decided by coin toss. Mudville wins the toss and of course elects to bat first. Mudville scores a run and wins the game. The other team never gets to bat. 

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The new kickoff rules make me 🤣 as well.

NFL OT used be sudden death, with the team winning the coin toss being able to win by just a FG.  The change to allow BOTH teams at least one possession is an improvement vs. the old way imo.  Should there be no more changes to OT rules?  I'm not sure about that one.  College OT rules make it too easy to go into triple OT imo.

Other random thoughts:

- Jayden Daniels did alright for a rookie facing a defense playing at NFL speed for the first time.  So, not a deadly passer out of the gate but also did not make silly mistakes, made some plays with his legs, and took care of himself when tackled.  But the Bucs were just too much of a mismatch - multiple time NFC South winner vs. rebuilding team

- Saints takedown of Panthers just too easy

- Cousins just too rusty to lead the Falcons to a win over the visiting Steelers, whose conservative, defense-led approach proved successful.

- Burrow, also coming off serious injury, also had too much rust to knock off against the visiting Patriots.

- Colts-Texans was a fun watch - ok the highlight video anyway.  Stroud-Richardson should be a fun divisional rivalry to watch for years to come, assuming both stay healthy.  All 4 teams in that division have a high profile young QB.

• Like 1

Picking up where he left off last year, IMO,  49ers HC/OC Kyle Shanahan remains the best play-caller in the NFL.

The 49ers rushing attack was on point led by undrafted RB Jordan Mason. The offense fired on all cylinders. Defense played great as well.

The Jets look better than last with QB Aaron Rodgers under center. He has weapons on the field if they can figure out to catch and/or hold on to the ball. 

The game outcome was as I expected with a Super Bowl team versus a rebuild in progress team.😎

PD

On 9/9/2024 at 5:36 PM, El Lobo said:

New baseball rule: score is tied after 9 innings. 10th inning: 1st team that scores a run wins the game. Top of inning team is decided by coin toss. Mudville wins the toss and of course elects to bat first. Mudville scores a run and wins the game. The other team never gets to bat. 

That's a pretty good point, though in that case it's basically one pitcher giving up that run while in NFL OT it's a whole defense....and as someone said, defense is half the game.   

I wouldn't mind a college-style OT but let each team start once from their own 20.  If anyone is winning after that one possession each, it's over.  If tied--whether neither scored,  or both scored a touchdown or whatever--it's sudden death.   That gives both offences and both defenses a chance to decide the game and it shouldn't add much extra time (like having a million college OTs would, seriously I've seen as many as seven though that was before they forced a 2-pointer after the first one or two.)   Also it would allow a team to win by going on (or stopping) at least one long drive.

I fully expect a royalty from the NFL when they implement the new Stokely Overtime rule.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 5:17 PM, GovernorSilver said:

The Browns opted to have 4 QBs on their 53.  They know they can get something in trade for Huntley or Winston

My Browns need to cut bait and get rid of Watson. Another woman and suit has come forward.

If one looks at Jameis Winston as an improvement in field performance and off-the-field character, you know it's time.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Just now, kpl1228 said:

My Browns need to cut bait and get rid of Watson. Another woman and suit has come forward.

If one looks at Jameis Winston as an improvement in field performance and off-the-field character, you know it's time.

I figure it's just a matter of time before DTR takes over as Browns QB.  

• Like 1

Chargers took care of business in Carolina, rolling up 200 rushing yards, with JK Dobbins contributing about 130 of them, despite splitting carries evenly with Gus Edwards.  

I don't anticipate the next opponent - Steelers - rolling over as easily for this ground-hugging Charger offense.  

Surprising upset of the Ravens by the Raiders.  Losing 3 starting OL this past offseason to free agency really hurt that Ravens offense.

The Commanders won by kicking 7 FGs. False start penalties in the red zone killed several TD opportunities.

Also, I was expecting the Commamders new defensive-minded HC and his staff to bring a better and more aggressive defense.

Even with a crop of new players, the Commanders defense looks about the same or slightly worse than last year. 

Thankfully, my expectations for this season are reasonable enough to account for the rebuilding, er, growing pains of new ownership, coaching staff and players too.😎

PD

D

Your new QB has great potential, at the very least he is not turning the ball over. 

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Congrats on the Steelers win against the Broncos, Mike. Denver has some work to do…

At least the Loveless Packers took care of business against the Colts, but the Rams got destroyed by the Cardinals. Maybe we’d better start paying attention to Arizona again.

And how about Minnesota’s upset of San Francisco? The NFC North looks good (although not necessarily great) from top to bottom this year. 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Geoff

I was happy to read that the Pack took care of business even without their Star QB. The game I enjoyed  the most last season is when Green Bay went into Dallas and destroyed the Cowbums in their own building.  The looks on Jerry Jones face were priceless.  😆 Jerry is a lousy GM.

Mike T.

• Like 2

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.