Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dang... I guess I don't know what a great jazz pianist is. Who is the greatest of my generation?

Active classes aren't the same for higher education as passive lectures, but I suppose when it's a top level school in the U.S., there's little space for "I don't like such or such professor so I don't show up" which is a good defense for the creative human being when confronted with something that sucks. Or maybe the parents paid for the study, but their offspring doesn't deeply feel appreciation for the opportunity, not there's an ancient motivation..

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I basically agree about the importance of being right on time for anything. On the other hand, he gives some selective examples of early morning appointments for a musician but he fails to mention that as a jazz musician playing at night clubs, it's probably equally as important to be a night owl and play after midnight. You can't expect someone to play up until 3 AM in a downtown club, then commute to home and get up at 6 AM, so that he's available for whatever early morning appointment there is for a jazz musician and I'm not a jazz musician, so I'm not familiar with their typical early morning schedule.

But he makes the point that he does it (play gigs, gets up at 6 to take care of his kids and makes it to class to teach). 

It is an interesting point: should jazz curriculum/classes start later? But we digress. 

5 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

When Geoffrey Keezer speaks aspiring musicians should listen. Julliard and their students are lucky to have him. He doesn't need Julliard. I saw nothing wrong with what he wrote.

I heard him playing piano and Moog with Chris Botti and Ray Brown, and I must say, he's damn good! I also think Geoffrey played with his wife, Gillian Margot, they've made a few albums together.

Mr. Keezer is my current (virtual) teacher.  Open Studio is one of my favorite online things.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The point he makes is indisputable. The fact that he’s making it on social media, as a generational indictment, instead of directly to his students in a meaningful and enforceable way that helps them develop as artists and people—and even more, seems to expect them just all to be doing every part of it already—that’s the part that feels out of the lane.

Sure, we all need to vent. But the tone of this vent sounded like giving up on an entire generation, which is the opposite of teaching IMO. You have to meet people where they are. 

Anyone who’s seen those clips of Miles D just destroying young teenage musicians knows that greatness in one area does not always mean greatness in all areas.

There’s a “flipside” example too, but I won’t start that particular shitstorm.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I was surprised it was called a shitstorm.

I read through about 5 minutes of replies and most everyone agreed with GK.

Some entitled babies (and other baby-like educators) got their feelings hurt is par for the course.  Oh my he insulted an ENTIRE generation!!   Set up charges at the Hague!

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I personally never worried about attendance too much as the teacher at the collegiate level. If students felt they could pass the Econ exams while missing lectures and the review sessions they could go for it. Although missing points from the weekly quizzes could hurt especially if they had a bad exam.   

As the student it a terrible waste to do so.  If it wasn’t, I was enrolled in the wrong class.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt