Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound Knobs

Got to my gig the other night and noticed a second knob on my Motion Sound amp had gone missing.  I searched the car, the parking lot, everywhere in my path.  Nothin.  So now 2 are gone, under exactly the same circumstances.  I can only assume they are both hanging out with all the socks I've lost in the dryer over the years.  I'm not sure if there's a design flaw, but I've never lost knobs like this on anything else.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost a knob off of my Nord Electro.  I wrote Nord (ok - emailed), and Nord put me in touch with their North American parts distributor.  They sent me three of the exact knob I was missing - for free.  So I was able to replace the missing knob with it's exact identical, and have a few spares if it happens again.

Contact the Motion Sound people. 

My MS is missing a knob too, and the worst part is that it was completely predictable given how weirdly flimsy those pots are. I don’t understand why they appointed these great-sounding boxes with such cheapo build elements. Just make them right and charge $100 more.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

4 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

My MS is missing a knob too, and the worst part is that it was completely predictable given how weirdly flimsy those pots are. I don’t understand why they appointed these great-sounding boxes with such cheapo build elements. Just make them right and charge $100 more.

The pot posts are a thin plastic/nylon.  Not sure if that's common, but flimsy is a good descriptor.

On the plus side, I was using it as a stage monitor and I've never been happier with how my Gemini sounded.  Due to stage constraints, I had the amp on it's side, which angles one of the drivers upwards towards my ears.  I realize it "shouldn't" sound good that way, but it did.

This is a known issue with Motion Sound amps from the beginning. I had a KS 200 approx 25 years ago that dropped knobs all the time; awkward carrying position didn’t help. I contacted the company, they sent me free ones with a note that I should use Shoe Goop to glue them on. My thought was “then why don’t they do that in the first place?” Sheesh.

Here for the gear.

6 hours ago, drawback said:

This is a known issue with Motion Sound amps from the beginning. I had a KS 200 approx 25 years ago that dropped knobs all the time; awkward carrying position didn’t help. I contacted the company, they sent me free ones with a note that I should use Shoe Goop to glue them on. My thought was “then why don’t they do that in the first place?” Sheesh.

Good Point!  To further this story - I recently bought the Motion Sound KP-612SX, and it came with 2 extra knobs!  Yeah, one would think it’d be easier (and cheaper) to just make sure they are secure at the time of manufacture.  Go figure.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

It's not even so much the lost knobs (I lose knobs off my NS3C a few times a year, and that thing is built like a tank). It's how cheap the pots/stems felt from the beginning--like they were too skinny for the hole or something. Plus I almost feels like they used knobs that were meant for thicker stems and made up the difference with a bunch of glue. It's a bummer, because the box sounds great. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

7 hours ago, drawback said:

they sent me free ones with a note that I should use Shoe Goop to glue them on. My thought was “then why don’t they do that in the first place?” Sheesh.

Hilarious.🤣

This customer as beta tester and/or finisher whether it's releasing half-baked firmware or providing extra knobs, faders, buttons, keys, screens, pitch/mod wheels, end caps and rubber feet. 

There's no excuse for manufacturers pushing prototypes and do-it-yourself gear. 

Good luck forumites finding your knobs and socks. 🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

It's not even so much the lost knobs (I lose knobs off my NS3C a few times a year, and that thing is built like a tank). It's how cheap the pots/stems felt from the beginning--like they were too skinny for the hole or something. Plus I almost feels like they used knobs that were meant for thicker stems and made up the difference with a bunch of glue. It's a bummer, because the box sounds great. 

Maybe so, however, the knobs feel just fine on the KP-612SX I recently purchased.  And I’ve played out with it  / transported it a dozen times since purchase, no problems yet.  Knock on wood….  YMMV.  (Note:  I do use slip-on custom covers to mildly protect the amp / speakers.)

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.