Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Akai MPC Key 37

Today Akai released it's new MPC Key 37 Standalone MPC Production Keyboard.    Akai skipped the NAMM show, but YouTube is blowing up with people posting video about the new MPC Key 37.   Visual leaks about the MPC Key 37 started showing up a few days before NAMM and now it's officially released, so Akai saved a lot of money not going to NAMM and letting word of mouth be their marketing tool.   In general it's a 37 key version of the MPC Key 61 that came out a year or so ago, a few differences beside the key count but basically the same.   The MPC Key 37 comes with Akai's new Stem separating software that was previewed but now is released.   So the new MPC Key 37 makes for a easy to transport all you need tool for Beat makers.  

• Like 1

That's strange that Akai skipped the show. Didn't the other inMusic brands show up? I thought they usually ran it as an overall multi-brand booth? Maybe not since Moog... although with all the horse-trading of subsidiaries, I don't even trust that I remember who owns what anymore.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

5 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

That's strange that Akai skipped the show. Didn't the other inMusic brands show up? I thought they usually ran it as an overall multi-brand booth? Maybe not since Moog... although with all the horse-trading of subsidiaries, I don't even trust that I remember who owns what anymore.

This may be a way to compare different marketing ways. "What would happen if we present this product online, almost at NAMM time?. Would it work better or worse than this other product presented there?. Let's try!" 😉

• Like 1

I am thinking to buy mpc key 61, the price is very good, around 1350 euros...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

49 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

It's come down! I thought it launched at $2k? The launch of the 37 was reported here as "half the price of the 61 big brother".

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I do not own an Akai MPC KEY61 but having played one it's ’s a cool KB if you can live with the slightly shorter keys and action.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

It's come down! I thought it launched at $2k? The launch of the 37 was reported here as "half the price of the 61 big brother".

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, the price is lower now...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I do not own an Akai MPC KEY61 but having played one it's ’s a cool KB if you can live with the slightly shorter keys and action.😎

My Kurzweil K2661 has shorter keys than my Kawai K5000W, so no problem...

What about the action? I have played with one yet...

4 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

My Kurzweil K2661 has shorter keys than my Kawai K5000W, so no problem...

What about the action? I have played with one yet...

The MPC KEY61 action bottoms out in a shallow way.  It will be noticeable to a synth/piano player.  But, it's easy enough to get used to and/or use a different KB as a MIDI controller. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

nobody doing virtuoso performance on device like this.  users just banging in some beats into the sequencer. think of it as a welcome improvement over the grid of pads that you normally are stuck with on mpcs and grooveboxes that are useless for keyboard players. in other words, any action will do.

• Haha 1
hang out with me at woody piano shack

But if I wanted to multi-sample sounds from recordings I've made using VST instruments, this would be the board, yes? I currently have a Fantom 06, which I understand actually has limited memory for this purpose.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

18 minutes ago, kelp said:

But if I wanted to multi-sample sounds from recordings I've made using VST instruments, this would be the board, yes? 

Two words...Auto-Sampler.  That is the secret weapon in all of the modern MPCs. The MPC KEY makes a great gigging KB in that regard.

The auto-sampler feature allows musicians to leave the rest of their KBs and computer at home/studio especially when gigging. 

Create elaborate sounds, splits and layers within the hardware and software gear at home.  Auto-sample the results.  Save as presets within the MPC KEY. 

Now, you're traveling with ALL of your KBs (vintage synths, ROMplers, VSTs, etc.) mapped and ready to play in one KB.  Slick.😎

• Like 4

PD

1 hour ago, conundrum said:

For those who would buy the “top tier” plugins, the 37 key isn’t much cheaper than the 61.

the 37 key is $900 and I believe the 61 key is $1500.     But the reason for the 37 is that from the time the key 61 was release people kept asked for a smaller more portable version, so Akai made it for them. 

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

the 37 key is $900 and I believe the 61 key is $1500.     But the reason for the 37 is that from the time the key 61 was release people kept asked for a smaller more portable version, so Akai made it for them. 

The 37 key is missing the 6 plugins/sound engines (organ, fm, epiano etc). The 61 key includes those. Buying those brings the price of the 37 pretty close to the 61.

5 minutes ago, conundrum said:

The 37 key is missing the 6 plugins/sound engines (organ, fm, epiano etc). The 61 key includes those. Buying those brings the price of the 37 pretty close to the 61.

Price to expand it won't matter to those wanting the smaller footprint.😎

• Like 1

PD

14 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Can you buy the plugins individually? It may be attractive for someone who wants say FM and analog(ue) but not organ model - or vice versa.

Cheers, Mike.

I believe you can...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This keyboard looks good on paper, however it seems all YouTube demos are of hip-hop music. What am I missing? Is that keyboard targeted at hip-hop only, or it's a coincidence that hip-hop musicians have somehow found it appealing for them, compared to other workstations?

13 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

This keyboard looks good on paper, however it seems all YouTube demos are of hip-hop music. What am I missing? Is that keyboard targeted at hip-hop only, or it's a coincidence that hip-hop musicians have somehow found it appealing for them, compared to other workstations?

The Akai MPC line of products has been sampler/grooveboxes renowned for its workflow in music production.

MPC-based machines have primarily appealed to music producers in Hip-Hop, R&B and EDM. However, any style of music could benefit from it.

The  MPC KEY opens the product up to music producers and musicians alike.  The sounds combined with the workflow make for a self-contained music studio. 

Once performance-oriented KB players wrap their heads, er, fingertips around it, the MPC KEY gives any ROMpler a run for the money.😎

• Like 1

PD