Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audacity Update includes stem separation

DAWs will continue to develop and improve. It is endless. 

I've not used Audacity, I have heard great things about it. 

Long ago I bought a Mackie interface and Tracktion 2.5 (or thereabouts) was included. I installed it and liked the layout so I stayed there. Now it is called Waveform and version 12. something is the newest iteration. I am running Waveform 12 and much has happened over the years. At this point, I see no reason to switch DAWs and I'm guessing most of us feel the same way. If we start with something we tend to stay with that DAW and over time they all seem to morph into something more similar rather than different. I did start with Digital Performer but the interface was not easy to use for me and Tracktion was so I switched. Now when I look at a screen shot of Performer and Waveform they don't look that different to me and I'm sure I could use either so might as well stay where I am. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Audacity does many things and is FREE. It is more of an audio utility than a DAW yet in that context can be perfect, maybe superior, for some things.

They all might do practically the same things but the approach / implementation can be different. Some approaches are more attractive and suited to different people than others. In animation software the target end product is the same. Although some may have more than one target end product they all share at least one which is animated shorts. How they get there can be very different and the GUI can also be very foreign or mimic real world approaches. In image / photographic processing and illustration software Adobe created its own world and has been so integral in software history that its world prevails over mimicked real world alternatives.

• Like 1

I’m not seeing the “stem separation”? 

There’s vocal isolation/vocal removal (which leaves much of the reverb on my test with Adele’s “Someone Like You”), but that’s it. 

Am I missing something? 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

5 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Audacity does many things and is FREE. It is more of an audio utility than a DAW yet in that context can be perfect, maybe superior, for some things.

If you watch the video above: they’ve just added a bunch of features (like grids and auto-quantising) that turn it into a DAW. This is great for people who start of using it as a basic dictaphone for their music but want to move on to more. 

Their previous option was to move to GarageBand (manageable), or Cubasis for those on Windows (which is a HELL of a jump in complexity). 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

14 hours ago, analogika said:

If you watch the video above: they’ve just added a bunch of features (like grids and auto-quantising) that turn it into a DAW. This is great for people who start of using it as a basic dictaphone for their music but want to move on to more. 

Their previous option was to move to GarageBand (manageable), or Cubasis for those on Windows (which is a HELL of a jump in complexity). 

OK never mind..

One feature I like of the old Quicktime player is the ease of on-the-fly playback at altered speed without changing pitch, and altered pitch without changing speed. Can Audacity do this? If not, any recommendations for something that does this, that supports, say, 6 channels of audio? 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

15 hours ago, analogika said:

I’m not seeing the “stem separation”? 

There’s vocal isolation/vocal removal (which leaves much of the reverb on my test with Adele’s “Someone Like You”), but that’s it. 

Am I missing something? 

Agree... I spent a few minutes inside the new update and couldn't find anything pertaining to "stem separation".  Perhaps Audacity is using different terminology?  But then again, I'm old and tired and may have missed it.  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

16 hours ago, analogika said:

...or Cubasis for those on Windows (which is a HELL of a jump in complexity). 

Another option might be Mixcraft Recording Studio. People often refer to it as "GarageBand for Windows." However, unlike GarageBand and bundled versions of Cubasis, it's not free.

15 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I believe it will take them a bit longer to have features parity on macOS.  The Windows build is most current. 

There is no mention of stem separation in the "new features" video, nor in the manual (which, AFAICS, does not differentiate between Windows and Mac versions). 

https://support.audacityteam.org/music/isolating-or-removing-vocals-from-a-song

1 hour ago, analogika said:

There is no mention of stem separation in the "new features" video, nor in the manual (which, AFAICS, does not differentiate between Windows and Mac versions). 

https://support.audacityteam.org/music/isolating-or-removing-vocals-from-a-song

30 seconds

”The only drawback is that the new AI features are only available for Windows as of now. There’s hope that they’ll eventually also come to the Mac and Linux versions – we’ll keep you posted!”

https://www.gearnews.com/audacity-ai-plugins/

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

3 hours ago, analogika said:

Thanks! I hadn't found that info on the Audacity website.

I need a Windows install to give the new plugins a try.  Or maybe I can convince IT to update audacity at work.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 3:02 PM, Dave Bryce said:

Audacity rules. 😎

dB

Love Audacity. Been using it for my podcast for years. I had no idea how powerful it is!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If I would make a quality high track, this tool would have to pass the 'don't touch my audio data' test first, I would compare a saved file byte for byte  with the inout file first, in pieces where there is no processing, such that I know it doesn't just randomly apply (subtle) filters. In the (not recent) past I recall this tool did not pass this test.

T