Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can You Guess Which Library/Keyboard This Rhodes Sound Came From?

13 hours ago, CyberGene said:

BTW, those tiny “transition” chords you play near the end are nice. Will try to figure out what they are later 😀

So, after the first few straight-forward chords:

Gbmaj7(add 9) Ebm7/11 Abm7/9/11 Db7b9 Bbm7 Ebm7

What you use then as short passing chords is pretty nice and I believe is:

E(add9)/G# Ebm7/9/Gb B(add9)/D# Emaj7

(those are slash chords but not sure how to write them down with letters and I’m on my phone and can’t notate…)

Correct? 😀

• Love 1

1 minute ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It’s definitely been dyno’d, yes?  Bell like, I hear klang which makes me think it’s sampled and not a model.  Is it a Gospel Musicians library from Neo Soul Keys? 

Definitely has the tine-y sound, if it's a synth it's a Lounge Lizard/Arturia Stage model synth (though I think it's sampled). I was actually wondering about GM, too.

• Like 2

As to the sound, this is definitely not FM, it’s not a DX7. It’s probably a Rhodes that’s either originally dynoed or is a regular Rhodes that’s been EQ-ed to sound that bright. With that in mind it can literally be any keyboard or library with Rhodes. And of course there’s the typical chorus which made people think it’s the DX7 because that FM-piano sound was usually topped with chorus 😀

• Like 1

His clue is that the reveal will be surprising to us.  That tells me it’s not PCM (clue after I’d guessed Motif).  

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I have to say Pianoteq because Pianoteq. 🫡

• Like 1

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Just now, o0Ampy0o said:

Garageband

When trying to transcribe his chords (in my previous post), I used a Bluetooth MIDI keyboard to play the Rhodes sound in GarageBand on my iPhone and I was surprised how close it sounded to the quiz audio. So, quite possible for it to be GB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

reminds me of a joint near where I grew up called “The Hot Dog”.  Ironically, they had the best burgers in town.

Another vote for Garage Band, only because it’s supposed to be a surprise.  Or maybe a Hammond SK?

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

23 hours ago, CyberGene said:

BTW, those tiny “transition” chords you play near the end are nice. Will try to figure out what they are later 😀

Glad you like it too. This tune was a demo for Native Instrument's "Elektrik Piano" package from years ago. I loved it and transcribed it into MIDI.

10 hours ago, CyberGene said:

So, after the first few straight-forward chords:

Gbmaj7(add 9) Ebm7/11 Abm7/9/11 Db7b9 Bbm7 Ebm7

What you use then as short passing chords is pretty nice and I believe is:

E(add9)/G# Ebm7/9/Gb B(add9)/D# Emaj7

(those are slash chords but not sure how to write them down with letters and I’m on my phone and can’t notate…)

Correct? 😀

Yup, you nailed it. Great ears!

Btw, there was a LONG thread from a while back on those slash chords. The "mu" chord seems to be a common tongue-in-cheek way to name them among the more cultured players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHarrell said:

Does it not have LH/RH samples? (like a Snare Hit 1/Snare Hit 2) I know it took some time for sample libraries to adopt that as a pseudo standard

Not exactly LH/RH per se, but SQ does have two different snare roll samples. Although the end result sound hardly any better. 😆

With my crude MIDI programming skills, it looks like we'll at least need some round-robin single-hit or an actual drumroll sample to make it sound convincing.

19 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Definitely has the tine-y sound, if it's a synth it's a Lounge Lizard/Arturia Stage model synth (though I think it's sampled). I was actually wondering about GM, too.

The Arturia is also modeled, not sampled.