Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha P-145 - what year?

I try to keep up with Yamaha's digital pianos.  I saw an ad for a P-145, so I downloaded the manual and Midi Reference.   Not that I intend to buy it.  I tend to do that for most Yamaha keyboards, even if I don't intend to buy them.   I know, kind of obsessive.   Anyway, Yamaha MIDI References usually tell you the year the keyboard was released in the upper right-hand corner.   For the P-145, it says February, 2021.    But I seem to remember seeing the P-145 long before that.   Am I wrong?    Or is this a "new version of the P-145"?

There was a P140 and a P45. The P145 is more recent.

I posted the following at Piano World after a query about Yamaha P series and the confusing numbers…

Yamaha P range

I would say there are 4 tiers. 

Tier 1

Starting with the P60, this tier brings you an 88 key weighted piano with no frills and no lineouts!

P60

P70

P85

P95

P35

P45

(All GHS)

P145 (GHC)

Tier 2

Starting with the P105, these are basically the same approach as Tier 1 in that they are a very light weight and a budget cost but they add some features such as extra sounds and line outs.

P105

P115

P125

(All GHS)

P225 (GHC)

Tier 3

I am calling Tier 3 the models that are still portable by one person but that include a more quality keyboard action. Here, there is a mix of speakerless and others with speakers. 

Speakerless:

P80

P90

This speakerless line would now be the CP range. 

With speakers:

P120

P140

P155

P255

(All GH)

P-S500 (GHS) (not sure where to put this one!)

Tier 4

I am calling Tier 4 the highest level P piano at any given time. Usually Yamaha is unconcerned about the final weight of the piano. These models date back a long way and I may need help with this section but here goes:

P100 (Clavinova PF-P100) Action Effect (AE)

P150 (Action Effect II)

P200

P250

CP300 (perhaps shouldn’t be listed here but did somewhat fill a void in the P series for a few years)

(All GH)

P515 (NWX)

P525 (GrandTouch S)

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

9 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

There was a P140 and a P45. The P145 is more recent.

etc

Thanks.  I just downloaded the P-140 manual, and it came out in 2005, so I must be confusing the P-145 with this older model.   I'm an older model myself - this kind of thing happens to me more frequently these days.....   😃

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Thanks.  I just downloaded the P-140 manual, and it came out in 2005, so I must be confusing the P-145 with this older model.   I'm an older model myself - this kind of thing happens to me more frequently these days.....   😃

The P140 was an odd one. It was the successor to the P120 but, if I remember correctly, it had phono outputs instead of standard jack and a far worse Rhodes sound than that on its predecessor. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3