Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advanced new form of Oberheim Xpander

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iI had an OB Xpander for about 4 years … great piece of gear. modular gear in a box…I sold it to a studio owner that didn't really understand it's power admittedly to me and let me kind of know he was uninterested in the details about it but he knew he needed one to entice more artists into his Manhatten recording studio, this was the late 80's, 89 or so! ...Sold it for just about what I paid for it ($2,200 if I remember, this new clone I see is 3 times that ) , it had became and 80's musical tech icon by the point ('89) when I sold mine.....

A lot of things are routeable to everything else … like … almost the whole box, and then, into itself again.  OCS 1's signal into  Ramp Generator 1 then into LFO 1 then back into LFO1 again and what the heck back into LFO1 once again ... That then all into LFO 2 (setting new rates etc..)... all that into LFO 3 (new rates again) for shits and giggles... and then attach all that to open thethe Attack portion only of it's ADSR or the Decay, or the Sustain or the Release..it can bubble like a bubble making machine and then some... amazingly sick. There are limitiations to the routings in the original machine,  I may have gone overboard in this description but not by much if at all...Modular gear in a box and not that hard to understand once you get the jist of it..and no patch chords.. all in software...Hours of fun, partially (actully for the most part and I need dough, I was getting married)  why I got ride of it.... I really wanted to concentrate on pure music again and started piano study with alot of classical and serious jazz improve study, I had stoped playing any rock/blues all together for almost 3-4 years ... But none the less to my life's Darma...a very very seductive and attractive machine....in the right hands and head... a potent tool w/o a doubt!   A true rabbit hole of a box... in the demo, I do recognize the ripping sound quaily of the OB's OSC's sound in it .... those sounds in the demo only a fraction of what it's capable of! 

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

As I said in the YouTube comments, after 34 years of owning an OG Xpander, I think this is both a great homage and a fascinating evolution. I sold my Xpander for $4000 a few years ago, because it was in mint condition but I knew that I could never afford to fix it if it ever broke, and that had a chilling effect on my willingness to keep using it. This new beastie is expensive, but wow does it look like it would be a blast to own!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

3 hours ago, Dr Mike Metlay said:

As I said in the YouTube comments, after 34 years of owning an OG Xpander, I think this is both a great homage and a fascinating evolution. I sold my Xpander for $4000 a few years ago, because it was in mint condition but I knew that I could never afford to fix it if it ever broke, and that had a chilling effect on my willingness to keep using it.

Chilling is right! I hate to even imagine committing to one and having it suddenly go belly-up. Its a modern cousin to T.O.N.T.O. or the "2001" monolith. Like it or not, the world contains far more nimble programmers than it does people who have a steady hand with a flux remover. Softsynths are saving my creative @$$.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"