Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Wurlitzer

On 2/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, zxcvbnm098 said:

Good lord, that must have sounded glorious!

It Did!!!!   

Talk about a strange coincidence, this morning one of our old groupies from the early 70's contacted me and sent me this photo of me playing my Wurlitzer from 1971~!!! (I was 16!). Yes, that's a V4 head sitting on top of a 122. I had a stack of two V4 cabinets behind the drums. My C3 is on the right behind the singer.  Weird that this happened while we were posting about a Wurlitzer re-issue... 

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 4.48.08 PM.png

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

30 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

It Did!!!!   

Talk about a strange coincidence, this morning one of our old groupies from the early 70's contacted me and sent me this photo of me playing my Wurlitzer from 1971~!!! (I was 16!). Yes, that's a V4 head sitting on top of a 122. I had a stack of two V4 cabinets behind the drums. My C3 is on the right behind the singer.  Weird that this happened while we were posting about a Wurlitzer re-issue... 

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 4.48.08 PM.png

Great photo!! The Wurlie looks pretty new? 

2 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Great photo!! The Wurlie looks pretty new? 

It probably was. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 1/29/2024 at 7:57 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

Wurlitzer had a long and quite storied history of making decent acoustic pianos, even some really good models that could rival the big names back in the day. The Wurlitzer action is basically a modified grand piano action, much more complex than a Rhodes action, requiring carefully designed and manufactured parts with close tolerances. It would take a lot of skill to actually make them, not to mention regulate them. The same kind of skills that employees at piano builders need. 

Definitely!    I grew up with the family playing a Wurlitzer spinet.    Very nice action and nice to play!    After the piano tuner came every year or so I was in heaven!   My sister has it now but doesn’t play anymore, maybe she’d let me have it.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 2/23/2024 at 11:47 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

As I've noted many times before, the Wurlitzer is much more complicated than a Rhodes. It has many more parts, more electronics, requires more expertise to properly regulate, and there is currently no company making several of the core components needed to produce one, including whippens, jacks, damper arms, keybeds, pickups, reed harps, hammers, or cases. So all that would have to be engineered and manufactured.

There is no way a new electromechanical Wurlitzer on par with the old ones could come to market for less than $10k. And how is that going to compete with the tens of thousands of used Wurlitzers on the market? It would have to be far superior. How much better could you possibly make it? 

A vintage Wurly 200A averages between $3-9k now but I'm certainly not seeing boatloads of them available. The days of the free/$100 'get it out of here' deals are few and far between for most. Aside from a 200A model most vintage wurly models are not an easy haul either.

Hammond rigs have proven far easier (and faster) to load/set compared to the 206 Wurly and rhodes suitcases here in nearly all scenarios.  Hammond weight isn't really the hinderance when we're rolling the entire rig to/from via attached roks.  Roll in, set down, set pedals, plug in two cables and go and one quickly learns how fast it can be. Yes a vehicle capable of hauling a B3 is needed obviously but same goes with this 206 (and I have no intention of tearing it apart to turn it into a 200A. I like the 206 and want to keep it intact). 

There's certainly the risk of tuning issues due to travelling/loading and keybed/action concern with moisture/weather issues.  Plus a vintage wurly/rhodes jiggling around in vehicles on the road often requires more attention than the Hammond rig (adjustments and the nightmare of tuning issues vs the usual contact cleaning or db wire repair need on the organ).  I know exactly how they hold up and the maintenance these suckers can require.  Would we really WANT all this inherent in a 2025 Wurly option?

Or perhaps I missed an article but are they advertising this new Wurly a 1:1 clone of the vintage original in build and parts?  Again, not sure I'd even want that and I only say that because I have that.  I just don't think a 2025 option has to follow vintage build and design to a T to be useful/desirable here.  It just needs to be very close in sound and feel, travel well,  made affordable, and perhaps even look very similar onstage...basically it just can be a great wurly option (in which case I think their main hurdle here will be designing their own keybed in the hunt for that classic feel because 'Fatar' ain't gonna cut it).  Maybe they are aiming for a 1:1 repro of the orig though. I don't know. We'll see.

On 2/22/2024 at 11:37 PM, JoJoB3 said:

Vintage Hammys: That list applies to Wurly and Rhodes as well (ask me how I know).  In fact, moving the full Hammond rig is actually a bit easier and faster.
Van - RoK - gig - reverse that. Can have the Ham rig unloaded and running by time leg 2 of the wurly/rhodes are being screwed in. 

If that's your experience… 

I just lugged the Wurli up out of the basement in its gig bag to prep for a rehearsal tomorrow. My Hammond is not even in the basement — it's currently in storage in a warehouse, because I've temporarily refocused and dismantled the studio, and rehearsal spaces accessible without staircases are fairly hard to come by. 

I'd also need a van, but I only own a station wagon. 

When the Hammond goes out, it involves a rental van and driving out to the warehouse before and after the gig. With a minimum of one other guy to help load. 

Also, FWIW, my Wurli has needed a small handful of reed replacements in the twenty years I've owned it, while the Hammond and Leslie needed a service after a two-week tour across Europe. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

11 hours ago, analogika said:

I just lugged the Wurli up out of the basement in its gig bag to prep for a rehearsal tomorrow. My Hammond is not even in the basement — it's currently in storage in a warehouse, because I've temporarily refocused and dismantled the studio, and rehearsal spaces accessible without staircases are fairly hard to come by. 

When the Hammond goes out, it involves a rental van and driving out to the warehouse before and after the gig. With a minimum of one other guy to help load. 

Also, FWIW, my Wurli has needed a small handful of reed replacements in the twenty years I've owned it, while the Hammond and Leslie needed a service after a two-week tour across Europe. 

Unfortunately yes, it's most definitely my experience.  The RoKs stay attached to Ham gig rigs.  Anything rolling in this manner, even at 450+ lbs, is made easier/faster. Won't take long to understand.

What service did the organ rig need? Did the Wurly do this same EU tour?  Anything's possible but finding that part tough to believe.  The Hammond organ is the prime example of 'Merican over-engineering'.  It's the bull and the horns.
How often is the wurly played vs your organ?

You likely have the 200A model (station wagon).  Great, a slimmer, easier load (I'm a fan of the black and army green versions)... but a 'gig bag' for a vintage 200A?  That's got to be one hell of a tough, well built, gig bag. Got a link to these btw?

11 hours ago, analogika said:

Btw, this isn't a bad price for decent protection (200A, + legs/sp/more).  

https://www.swanflight.com/wurlitzer-200a-legs-pedal-flightcase.html

2 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Unfortunately yes, it's most definitely my experience.  The RoKs stay attached to Ham gig rigs.  Anything rolling in this manner, even at 450+ lbs, is made easier/faster. Won't take long to understand.

For context: My B3 has been with me for 24 years now, and it's been pretty permanently sitting on its Roll-or-Kari since day one. 

You likely have the 200A model (station wagon).  Great, a slimmer, easier load (I'm a fan of the black and army green versions)... but a 'gig bag' for a vintage 200A?  That's got to be one hell of a tough, well built, gig bag. Got a link to these btw?

https://www.musicstone.de/Gewa-Keyboardtasche-Premium-L-neu

Came recommended to me by one of the prime key techs here (did all the official setup/warranty service for Vintage Vibe for years) as "not pretty, not great, but cheap and does the job". 

What service did the organ rig need? Did the Wurly do this same EU tour?  Anything's possible but finding that part tough to believe.  The Hammond organ is the prime example of 'Merican over-engineering'.  It's the bull and the horns.
How often is the wurly played vs your organ?

The Wurli is played a lot more often than the organ, currently. But you're right: it wasn't along on that particular tour. The Hammond needed some TLC; a bunch of contacts needed resoldering, mostly. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

14 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

I know, thank you! That works out to pretty much exactly four times the price I paid, after shipping and taxes…and only slightly less than a custom flightcase…  

So I'm using the GEWA bag for now. Let's see how it holds up. 

7 hours ago, analogika said:

I know, thank you! That works out to pretty much exactly four times the price I paid, after shipping and taxes…and only slightly less than a custom flightcase…  

So I'm using the GEWA bag for now. Let's see how it holds up. 

Argh...sorry. Didn't notice you're in Germany. That does change the equation!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Argh...sorry. Didn't notice you're in Germany. That does change the equation!

Still kicking myself that I didn't immediately jump on the classified ad for a Wurlitzer flightcase at €150 a while back.

Ah well… at least I got crazy lucky on a flightcase for the philicorda — which has really oddball measurements. Got a used trolley case the other day, with exactly 2 cm of space on all sides, and 4 cm at the bottom end. Just bought the foam and am glueing it later today. Been scouring the classifieds on and off for months to find this random deal. 65€ including shipping, plus another 30 for the foam. Perfect score! 

Sorry…what were we talking about? 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 1:58 AM, Jim Alfredson said:

Anyone who thinks a modern company can make a real electro-acoustic piano with reeds, wooden keys, wooden hammers and whippens, dampers, etc. for less than $10k is dreaming.

That depends on where in Asia they decide to manufacture them, and how many they get into a container...

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Ken Rich makes a second bag to hold the legs and damper pedal. I had an Anvil Forge case for mine in the late 70s. It wasn't up tp ATA standards but was a lighter material, possibly fiberboard. It had a lid held on by straps rather than butterfly latches and the lid slipped completely off. Inside there was foam padding and a tray with padding on the bottom that sat over the keys holding the legs and pedal. I could lift it myself to place on a dolly or carry short distances but it had an uncomfortable metal handle that was hard on the hands. It did the job and I have never seen another like it.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

21 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

Ken Rich makes a second bag to hold the legs and damper pedal. I had an Anvil Forge case for mine in the late 70s. It wasn't up tp ATA standards but was a lighter material, possibly fiberboard. It had a lid held on by straps rather than butterfly latches and the lid slipped completely off. Inside there was foam padding and a tray with padding on the bottom that sat over the keys holding the legs and pedal. I could lift it myself to place on a dolly or carry short distances but it had an uncomfortable metal handle that was hard on the hands. It did the job and I have never seen another like it.

One of the Wurlie's I've owned over the years also had that case. More akin to drum cases of the day as I recall....

zxcvnm098, maybe you got my old Wurlitzer. It was last known to be in the Santa Ana/Costa Mesa area of Orange County in the early 80s.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

2 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

zxcvnm098, maybe you got my old Wurlitzer. It was last known to be in the Santa Ana/Costa Mesa area of Orange County in the early 80s.

Small world! I did buy it out of the Orange County Recycler in the early 90's? I remember driving down from the Valley to the OC.....I seem to recall it was a fair bit south? It also had an extended cable for the sustain pedal....

My Wurlie didn't have an extended pedal cable when I let it go but who knows where it was between 1983 and the early 90s.

11 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

My Wurlie didn't have an extended pedal cable when I let it go but who knows where it was between 1983 and the early 90s.

I do know it was a 200, and not a 200A. 

If indeed it was yours, I know it went to good hands when I sold it (via our own Dave Bryce). A fairly well-known artist got it....

It wasn't mine. I had a 200A.

I've been using the Wurlie from Arturia, and I like it just fine... although I like my 200A better. Even better with the matching bench.

Personally, when I think Wurlie, I think Spooner.

• Like 1