Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 'Masters of the Universe'

So, late last night I'm drinking Ouzo and flipping around the channels on Sling, and land on the included premium, no commercials MGM+ channel, which is showing the awful movie 'Masters of the Universe', starring Dolph Lundgren as He-Man and Frank Langella slumming for dollars as Skeletor. Also in this movie is a very young Courtney Cox and her movie boyfriend Robert Duncan McNeill (Lt. Tom Paris, from Star Trek: Voyager), along with famous little person Billy Barty. I had never seen this movie before because...well, it's a 'Masters of the Universe' movie. 'Nuff said.

But I was shocked at the synthesizers that are featured in this movie - not the soundtrack - the supporting players! Robert Duncan McNeill plays a keyboardist, and has my favorite line in the movie:

"I'm just a keyboardist in a high school band - there's a million of me"

There's the high school bandstand, set up for prom night, featuring a Rhodes and a Chroma Polaris:

PXL_20240127_064355938_exported_814_1706337876859.thumb.jpg.475f78f3a769777492f4ed9533cecf25.jpg

The aliens come in and blast it all, leaving it all on fire.  :(

There's Chuck's Music Store, with the Sequential Circuits:

PXL_20240127_065144857.thumb.jpg.4fadfa261a687ea8b32fe535dde7765b.jpg

In fact, Chuck's Music Store is a prominent player in this little epic of good vs. evil. A great game would be identifying all the classic synths seen. At a little before the one hour mark, the aliens, in their B-movie makeup, fight it out with He-Man and his fellow heroes in the music store, destroying all these great synthesizers. So sad to see Ultimate Support A-Frames getting knocked over, synths crashing to the floor, some of them on fire.  😭

Hate to be the bearer of further spoilers, for those still yearning to see this schlock, but who saves the day? A Casio synthesizer!!! Sorry, but I couldn't determine the model. But in my Ouzo-soaked curiosity, I did find a shot from the set:

ugw12zreiui51.thumb.webp.bdbf10a8031fbcc7009396f6254dc3b9.webp

As bad as this movie is, I just could not stop watching, on the edge of my couch trying to glimpse another glorious 1980s artifact. As I said, it should be a game. A drinking game! I'll bring the Ouzo.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On Star Trek: TNG they were still using US Apex stands in the 24th century. 

Here is Marina Sirtis on drums and Jonathan Frakes checks out my Casio WK-3800 at Garden State Comic-Con in 2011. Marina's husband was in a band with one of my former bandmates in California at the time. That same day I got to play with Davy Jones which may have been his last public performance.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

4 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

On Star Trek: TNG they were still using US Apex stands in the 24th century. 

The classics never die.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Aah, T.O.N.T.O., that legendary behemoth. "Phantom of the Paradise" hit me right at the beginning of my "synth journey." Its history is all the more impressive because it was basically Everything pro available at the time, crammed into custom cabinets. If you thought a Eurorack system could turn into a clustercluck, have I got a synth for you. Its one you can pretty well bet won't be a Cherry Audio release. :puff:

PhantomOfTheSImpsons.jpg

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

4 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

As bad as this movie is, I just could not stop watching, on the edge of my couch trying to glimpse another glorious 1980s artifact. As I said, it should be a game. A drinking game! I'll bring the Ouzo.

If its opiated, count me in. Enough of that elixir and you'll grow more hair on your chest than a classic Greek sailor.

More than that and animal control will be after you.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

It’s the 80s, baby.  Synths were everywhere in everything.  Even period films.   It’s so bizarre watching Ladyhawk (1985) or Legend (1985) in there Medieval settings with fully synth orchestration. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

25 minutes ago, David Emm said:

If its opiated, count me in. Enough of that elixir and you'll grow more hair on your chest than a classic Greek sailor.

More than that and animal control will be after you.

We need @UnderGroundGr opinion on the best Ouzo. Last night I was drinking Plomari, which claims to be Greece's #1 Ouzo. I had an old woman in Crete tell me that Ouzo will steal my manhood.  😳

26 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It’s the 80s, baby.  Synths were everywhere in everything.  Even period films.   It’s so bizarre watching Ladyhawk (1985) or Legend (1985) in there Medieval settings with fully synth orchestration. 

One of the strangest examples I know of was the short-lived series from Steven Soderburgh, 'The Knick', set in an early 1900 Harlem hospital with an all-synth soundtrack.

22 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

We need @UnderGroundGr opinion on the best Ouzo. Last night I was drinking Plomari, which claims to be Greece's #1 Ouzo. I had an old woman in Crete tell me that Ouzo will steal my manhood.  😳

🤣

Unfortunately I do not drink alcohol, so i cannot tell you about the best ouzo...

Plomari is one of the best. Ouzo "mini" is also great. Both are made in the island of Lesvos.

• Love 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

The music store destroying fight scene, if anyone is interested.