Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The new Casio Celviano series releases for NAMM 2024

Has anyone had a chance to suss out what is new yet? Sounded pretty good in audio demos today, for the top-end home model. Didn't listen to other demos yet and don't know how much of the model differences are furniture-based vs. feature-based. But I'm more curious about what the upgrade aspects are, as I'm already fairly familiar with the previous models.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Something about the action being derived from the PXS5,6,7000.  I personally hope for actions with longer keys.  But if they are having success with slim cases, so be it.  Just don’t ignore players that don’t care about slim.  

"KEY ACTION AND PLAYABILITY

Firstly, each piano features a Smart Hybrid Hammer Action keyboard – something previously seen on high-end pianos like the PX-S5000 and PX-S7000. This action aims to replicate the feel of a grand piano in both expression and texture. It’s extremely smooth and responsive, putting the control right at your fingertips.

The action has been a huge advancement in Casio technology as it allows you to fully temper and exaggerate the dynamics of each key as you play them, with the notes reacting to the touch and intensity of your playing with precision.

It’s a step up from the already extremely accurate Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action II of the AP-470 and the Scaled Hammer Action II found on the AP-270. But the prices of the new models reflect this, after all, they are more advanced!

The keys of the just-launched pianos are all made of resin, adding another layer of realism. They’re designed to feel just like the keys of an acoustic. Plus, with a 256-note polyphony possible, the pianos also offer a full, textured sound."

https://www.gear4music.com/blog/namm-2024-casio-ap-pianos/

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

In 2020 they were showing off the GP models.  Now that is a very nice digital piano action.  But anyway, if any gets to the show or the shop and sits at one of the new APs, please come back and share!

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for those links, it helps plant the foundation for further talk and comparisons!

I have so far held off on a digital piano since selling my Sequential Prophet XL late last summer (I ultimately can't live with Fatar hammer actions), and had remained torn on whether to aim for a Kawai or hold out for further upgrades to the Casio Celviano line. I am now glad I waited, even if I still end up going for a Kawai.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Very impressive playing and believable (plus musical) sound from those 2024 NAMM demos. A bit of woofiness in the bass register, but it could be the speakers, and it is by no means annoying, or muddy. A lot of acoustic pianos are woofy in the bass anyway, especially in certain acoustic environments.

I frankly can't find any deal-killer flaws, and most importantly, I hear absolutely zero phase issues, which are what ruin most digital pianos for me.

2 hours ago, konaboy said:

confused, do any of these`new models get the casio/bechstein action, or are these all using the slim actions?

Exactly my question. If these have the action of the GPs but in a smaller and more affordable form, along with new and better samples as suggested by Mike Martin, I'm very interested at the price point

• Like 2

3 hours ago, konaboy said:

confused, do any of these`new models get the casio/bechstein action, or are these all using the slim actions?

I don’t believe the new APs have the Casio/Bechstein action.  That is a major feature and Casio places a brass name plate on the GPs so you can’t miss it.  The gear4music article suggests it is the S7000 action, but not clearly - it could also be a variant of it.   We'll have to wait for feedback from those in the know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The AP-750 has the C+B action.   

All three new models have the same action, the “Smart Hybrid Hammer Action Keys (Celviano Edition) with Spruce construction”.
It is NOT the same action as our Grand Hybrid, it is a new action - a variation and improvement from what is in the PX-S7000.  We've had some very discerning professional classical players at the booth this year and we have received some great feedback from them and everyone that has played these new instruments.

The Bechstein plaque is on the AP-750 because they still collaborated on the voicing of the "Berlin" piano tone, as well as the speaker system on this instrument and other elements. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:45 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

I hear absolutely zero phase issues, which are what ruin most digital pianos for me.

This in my opinion is one of the things Casio has always gotten right. The new "Hamburg" piano sample in these new pianos is just unbelievable too. They recorded the same piano - so it is a familiar sound but they nailed the dynamic response. 

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

19 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

This in my opinion is one of the things Casio has always gotten right. The new "Hamburg" piano sample in these new pianos is just unbelievable too. They recorded the same piano - so it is a familiar sound but they nailed the dynamic response. 

Mike, any info on when these new APs will make it to dealers in the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area? 

Awesome news and info, Mike! I'll check when Chuck Levin gets these in stock and finally schedule my long-delayed virgin visit to that store!

35 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Awesome news and info, Mike! I'll check when Chuck Levin gets these in stock and finally schedule my long-delayed virgin visit to that store!

Please report your impressions back! 

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

so there is no stage model? confused.

It seems they called where they demoed at NAMM the “Celviano Stage”.   The new models are AP-450, 550, 750.   They all sport the Smart Hybrid Hammer Action Keys (Celviano Edition) with Spruce construction.

• Like 1

I'm very impressed with the videos above. I've been looking to upgrade my Yamaha P515 for some time and not quite sold on the lighter touch on the updated 525. These look and sound incredible at the price point - £2,000 for the top spec AP750 is remarkable value. If the new samples are a significant upgrade and the action at least as good as the Yamaha 515's NWX (which is now quite old), this could be all I need short of a hybrid NU1Xa, which are of course twice as much and then some.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

so there is no stage model? confused.

We had a Celviano demo stage and a Privia demo stage at NAMM. These aren’t stage pianos, they’re console pianos. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

• 2 months later...

I ran out of time to try them today due to such a long agenda while at the store, but Foxes Music in Falls Church has their floor model of the AP-750 on sale for $2200 and also the yellow Privia S-7000 model. Maybe I'll have time to try them when I pick up my upright bass bow that is being re-haired.

• Like 1