Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Least brutal keyboard shipping option?

I'm looking at a keyboard on Gear Exchange. What's the least brutal and dicey shipping carrier? The choices are UPS, FedEx, and USPS.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

Just now, BluesB3 said:

I'm looking at a keyboard on Gear Exchange. What's the least brutal and dicey shipping carrier? The choices are UPS, FedEx, and USPS.

Honestly in my experience, it all comes down to the people on the route; carrier company itself seemed to make little qualitative difference. I'm actually surprised though that as a buyer you get to choose, usually the seller selects the one that's least expensive (the rates can vary by hundreds of dollars between carrier for the same package).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you insure the shipment make sure the packing adheres to the shipping 'rules'.  as an example with UPS there are specific rules for packing that must be adhered to or else you run into issues with damage and claims.  a 4 x 6 package  needs to be in a box that is 2-3" wider all the way around, so the outer box needs to be huge; if not insurance claims can be denied.  Go to any of the stores get the packing "rules" and follow them.  Your chances of being able to file a successful insurance claim go up immensely when their "rules" are followed.  Take pictures of the inside of the box showing how it was packed; helps immensely later when a claim might need to be filed.  Use the original packing boxes if at all possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

One nice thing from my time in computer world is we would need to ship servers from one location to another.   We could contact the manufacturer and buy a new box and packaging materials so we had exactly what the server was shipped include the foam inserts.    Be nice if keyboard companies would sell their boxes and packing materials for shipping keyboards still in production. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Docbop said:

One nice thing from my time in computer world is we would need to ship servers from one location to another.   We could contact the manufacturer and buy a new box and packaging materials so we had exactly what the server was shipped include the foam inserts.    Be nice if keyboard companies would sell their boxes and packing materials for shipping keyboards still in production. 

Wouldn't it? I've gotten in the habit in the past several years to hold on to my boxes for an obscenely long amount of time in case I need or want to sell the keyboard, to avoid the hassle of having to buy a generic keyboard box from Reverb that's waaaaaay too big, meaning you then have to buy a boatload of packing material to fill in the gap.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Sometimes FedEx impresses me with their efficiency and care. Sometimes I regret not using OOPS I mean UPS.

Sometimes it's the other way around. It seems like either one can be flawless for a few months then suddenly the train jumps the rails and they can't find their A$$ with GPS.

I've had keyboards I've bought from ebay Japan get delivered quicker than from Chicago. 

Actually I have never had a keyboard or guitar get damaged in shipping. I have had to hassle with packages getting put on the wrong porch. Or waiting all day for a box that got delayed a day or two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FunMachine.

2 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Actually I have never had a keyboard or guitar get damaged in shipping.

Knock on wood...this has been my experience both as seller and buyer.

I've been packing and shipping gear for well over 2 decades now. I might be a pro.😁

When it comes to packing:

1) bubble-wrap the instrument in a few layers with bumpers around the edges

2) Use plenty packing material i.e. peanuts or crumpled newspaper

3) Use a quality box

4) Double-box if possible

5) Write FRAGILE on the box

6) Always insure the package

If this appears to be a too much and/or a waste of time, pay the extra money to have the folks at a UPS Store package the item. 

If self-packed, before sealing the package with tape the folks at the UPS Store can inspect to determine whether it's been done correctly.

Insurance not only protects the package and seller, I believe it also discourages flaky buyers too.

I've probably used every shipping carrier at least once but UPS has been my preferred.  They know me up in there.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

When I bought my big Korg, I paid a little more on the deal and got it in an SKB, ATA-rated case. The case lasted past that synth and on to my next one. Its not a method for general buying, but for repairs that might have to travel or a big purchase you're likely to keep for a long time, those resin cases are indispensable.

I second having the UPS Store pack things, because the insurance trail is far easier to satisfy if matters go south. You can be certain internal labels, insurance papers, etc. will be lined up properly from the start. Worth every penny.

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

8 hours ago, Docbop said:

It would be nice if keyboard companies would sell their boxes and packing materials for shipping keyboards still in production. 

when i bought my ensoniq ts-12 it was shipped to me in a hardcase ( i bought it used).  when i sold it i contacted ensoniq and they sent me the box and inserts for $15-20 so that i could use that box to ship the keyboard to the next buyer.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I generally only buy used stuff from Guitar Center (or Sam Ash but they don't have near the selection).  I had one Kurzweil arrive absolutely smashed on one corner despite two boxes, bubble wrap and some hard foam between the boxes.  Someone probably drove over it with a forklift or something, just dropping it wouldn't have done that.  Right to my local GC it went, no problem for me the customer.

My GC did recommend buying a hard case with keyboards just to ship them in.  They told me to simply return the hard case after I got the keyboard.   I wouldn't have thought of doing that, but they said it's better for them if the keyboard isn't damaged so that makes sense.

When I ship--which I hate and dread--I do it through work as they have a discount for us employees.  They use Fedex and I believe it's all insured (I can't remember whether I had to pay extra for this or if it just was, through the company...it's been years).  If I didn't hate selling local for cash so much I wouldn't do it.  So what happens is that I end up with extra gear hopefully not depreciating because I don't want to go through with trying to sell it...(And GC would only give a fraction of what I can get, if they accepted it at all).

I don't even both to package up keyboards unless I have the original box still.  I use The UPS Store for packaging and shipping.  That way they're liable if something happens to it during transit.

• Like 1

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR