Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio monitors?

I'm launching into a new chapter of my keyboard hobby .... learning to compose and record using Cubase and my Numa X 73.

As such, I will be needing a decent pair of studio monitors.  I'm not looking to be super serious and accurate, just want something that sounds good mounted on a studio desk at ear level about six feet apart.

My budget is $500 to $1,500.  Suggestions?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

I have a pair of T7V 7 inch studio monitors I like a lot the high end is very easy on the ear when listening for long periods of time and reasonably priced.    Before the Adam's I had Yamaha HS monitors they make 5", 7", and 8" sizes.   The 7's and 8's sound good but the 5's have nasty midrange bump.   A lot of people like the KRK Rokit monitors and I've used them in the past for just listening not for recording.  The reason many like them that makes them bad for recording is they have a really hyped up bottom end.   Some do use them for recording but you have to constantly remind yourself the low end isn't what people on other monitors are going to hear.   

I really like the Adam's GC usually has them setup so you can go and listen to them along with others. 

Although only $200, I am using Presonus Eris 5BT- one main reason is the two speakers are connected and one powers the other, for me this is a convienice factor as I only have to use one outlet. However, I think they sound very good with my piano vsts. In addition there is a custom subwoofer available by Presonus

I agree about the Rokits- I had 2 pairs and over time just wanted a change.

Years ago I had Yamaha MSPS5's and liked them. 

I bought a pair of used Mackie HR824 monitors for $600, they will have the low end you want. 

I have a pair (and a spare) of Yamaha MSP5 speakers. They'd probably sound good at lower volumes. I like mixing with them. 

They won't have the bass response of the Mackies though.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

ya know after trying several powered mons I've decided to stay with my current passive system (two Crown D-75 and the older KRK model 7000Bs a friend hipped me to).
Overall it's what sounds 'better' here (bit deeper, accurate enough for my usage) but more importantly I know them well and so mixes translate better. In the end that's what matters, translation.

I'd like to one day add a sub (which will be a challenge here) but it also isn't a necessity.

Anyway, I'd try and find a route to 'try before final purchase'. 

People rave about Genelec.   I've been wanting to audition them.    They are way expensive, but there are some lower end models (8030C) coming in just below your budget you may want to Czech out.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

You have a nice budget there. Typically on the cheaper end I recommend JBL 305p MKII’s. I have zero experience with higher-end monitors. I will say that it’s important t factor in your room size and acoustic treatment, if any, too. Some rooms are just too small for a set of 8” monitors.

You could also consider a 2.1 system with two monitors and a sub.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Are you mixing on them or playing/practicing through them? Many “near field” monitors are physically small and only marginally powerful. That’s fine for mixing at 80dB, but for me, those little guys don’t have enough go power to be enveloping. I have had Mackie HR 824s for 20 years and have enjoyed them as a reasonable mixing speaker, but more than that as powerful enough to enjoy playing through without worrying about toasting woofers. I played with some smaller speakers a long time ago and they didn’t have enough juice for me.

I have used the JBL 305ps that Max mentioned and I agree for the money they sound good.

I have contemplated replacing the HR 824s, but it seems like you go quickly from $1500/pair to $3500/pair for a reasonable step up.

I have two Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors connected to my Montage M8X. I love them. Deep bass, clear highs, they can thump with the drums and play the orchestral sounds beautifully. I am not recording so in my case they were more for just enjoying the keyboard.

As a bonus they were on sale when I bought them back in November for somewhere around $300-$350 each.  I can't recall if they were $400 normally or $350 normally. Whatever it was Yamaha put them on sale for a couple of weeks for $50 less each than normal pricing.

In general although I am using some low end JBL monitors for general    KB practice, I don't like them or really most studio monitors for practice. For recording yes, especially for mixing. Tracking ehh...I prefer speaker that are made to sound good. Studio monitors sound flat with no hype. And they distort if you hit the transients too hard. Things you may want. I find it annoying.

FunMachine.

Lots of good suggestions here. You've said you don't need anything super-accurate, so I'll pile on some of the other posts that favor listenability. On that topic, I personally find Genelec's to be among the most fatiguing monitors I've ever worked with, esp in untreated rooms. If I were stretching towards the top end of your range, for an all-purpose home setup like yours I'd consider the Neumann KH120's (the first, less expensive version without the DSP room correction, which doesn't seem necessary for your situation) over options like the 8030's that sit around that price point.

On the low end of that range, I am a big fan of the iLoud MTM's--list price $800 for the pair, and they go on sale for $600/pr every three months or so. They are accurate enough for nearfield mixing, tons of fun for playing keys at home, and easy enough on the ears to double as sweet desktop speakers for prerecorded music. Years ago I tried swapping them out for a very tony pair of Genelec 8330's at 3x the price, and (heresy alert...) ended up going back to the iLoud's as my nearfields. 

• Like 1
B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

16 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Kali Audio makes outstanding monitors, especially their IN series.  :2thu:

Three way monitors with dual concentric tweeters and mid drivers.  They punch way above their price point.

dB

Coincidentally, I was fed this by the algorithm today: 

The sub and one pair of tops are provided by Kali. 

Cheers, Mike.

I use a pair of Adam A7X (bought used at about half the price new) and they sound awesome with my piano VSTs and, in general, with all kind of sounds. I have a JBL LSR310S subwoofer when I want really deep bass, but most time it is switched off

I have a Presonus set for the tv, two Eris 5’s with the Sub 8. 

When I move my home studio to a bigger room, I will get the Genelec 7350 sub to pair with my 8030’s.

You miss a lot when you don’t have one, although I don’t feel it compromises mix decisions.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I have a pair of the Adam A7V ( it’s in a higher price range) and added a Sub, but it is way too much for my little home studio. The A7’s alone is perfect both for my keys and for mixing, and with a nice bottom. Perhaps you can find a used pair, they released an updated version of them last year, and some might upgrade. 

I have been thinking on the cheaper Iloud monitors for my living room setup- my Hammond/Leslie with a synth on top - only played on living room volume. 

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

https://www.esi-audio.com/products/unik08+/ 
I bought these German monitors and have been very impressed. Nobody really talks or knows about them as far as I’ve determined and I have no idea why? They’re great and priced right.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, Dave Bryce said:

Kali Audio makes outstanding monitors, especially their IN series.  :2thu:

Three way monitors with dual concentric tweeters and mid drivers.  They punch way above their price point.

dB

Thanks, dB! I just checked out their site. I'm looking to replace a slightly underpowered pair of small, budget monitors in my teaching studio. The LP-UNF pair look to be a perfect upgrade for the space.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I have a dilemma to ask your opinions about. I was leaning towards the Adam AX7's ($1,500 range), and suddenly relalized that I might be able to re-purpose a pair of bad ass speakers currently used in my Meridian home theater system.  Some of you may know that Meridian equipment is high end but, like a Jaguar, difficult to tune.  These were used as rear surrounds but I almost NEVER listen to movies that way anymore.  So I would need to purchase a pre-amp for about $400 and then connect my FocusRite 8i6 to the speakers with coax/SPDF cables.  I'm guessing the sound would be amazing as these powered speakers cost around $6,000 new (I bought them slightly used about 8 years ago).  The model number is Meridian DSP3100 .

Should I drop $400 on a used Meridian preamp and hope for the best, or save up some more money for some regular "studio monitors" which is the easier, safer, more expensive way?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Following along....I mostly use headphones because my room isn't great, but I still have the same amp + unpowered nearfields I had in the mid-late 90s (Crown 75, which might be a tad underpowered, and KRK K-roks)  :D   I don't trust my ears to say they sound good or bad, I'd have to A/B with something at this point.   I'll say this:  Crown makes good stuff.  I can turn that amp all the way up and there is just about zero noise (maybe a tiny bit at max, but I never go to max).   

If we build a new place (still deciding) I might design a better listening room and at that point go for something from this millennium  :)  

I have a vague memory from my days learning/working in a small studio about home speakers vs studio ones, and this could be mistaken--that was, that home speakers are not really designed to handle the un-mastered transients the way studio speakers are.   Again, I may be mis-remembering, or speaker designs may have changed since then.   They also of course are typically not designed to be reference speakers, they are designed to sound pleasing, though that might vary.

9 hours ago, MrVegas said:

I would need to purchase a pre-amp for about $400 and then connect my FocusRite 8i6 to the speakers with coax/SPDF cables

Why do you need a preamp? What signal type/level are the Meridians expecting?

Cheers, Mike.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:34 AM, Stokely said:

I have a vague memory from my days learning/working in a small studio about home speakers vs studio ones, and this could be mistaken--that was, that home speakers are not really designed to handle the un-mastered transients the way studio speakers are.   Again, I may be mis-remembering, or speaker designs may have changed since then.   They also of course are typically not designed to be reference speakers, they are designed to sound pleasing, though that might vary.

I disagree. The original Yamaha NS-10's were inexpensive home speakers.  Bob Clearmountain, CLA, Tchad Blake, and a zillion top-dollar engineers mixed most every hit record on them for decades. They also sound like shit and are about as far from pleasing as you can get. But... if you can get a song to sound good on NS-10's, they pretty much sound good everywhere.  As for transients, NS-10's are rated for something measly like 25 or 50 watts. Yet, I've powered mine for many many years with a Yamaha p2250 that's 300 watts per side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

I disagree. The original Yamaha NS-10's were inexpensive home speakers.  Bob Clearmountain, CLA, Tchad Blake, and a zillion top-dollar engineers mixed most every hit record on them for decades. They also sound like shit and are about as far from pleasing as you can get. But... if you can get a song to sound good on NS-10's, they pretty much sound good everywhere.  As for transients, NS-10's are rated for something measly like 25 or 50 watts. Yet, I've powered mine for many many years with a Yamaha p2250 that's 300 watts per side.

and Auratones for the car stereo type sound to check mixes on.   

The key to any speakers is know what those speakers sound like in relation to rest of the world.    

• Like 2

Understood about the NS-10s and Auratones, we had both in the studio I interned in.  I didn't realize they started life as home speakers, and I am probably misremembering (or it was bad info to start with) that stuff about home speakers not working well for "raw" mixes.   

5 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Am I misremembering that the NS10s came in a "home" variant and a "studio" variant (NS10S)?

Cheers, Mike.

Which version was used with the toilet paper over the tweeters? :)

I tried whatever the powered NS-10 replacements Yamaha had on offer 20 years ago and I think my ears still hurt from the 3K ice pick or whatever it was that made them so fatiguing. Not sorry I left the store with the Mackie HR-824s. I'm interested in the Kali's - will have to check them out at some point.