Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Show me your favourite wah clav solos

As of March my ska/reggae/funk band are out almost every week until the end of the year, and I want to try something different for my solos this time around. 

I’ve been on a bit of a reggae kick recently and have been enjoying the melodic wah clav work in some of Marley’s songs - particularly some of the more melodic solos. Want to incorporate some of that in our set if and when I get thrown a solo. Switch it up from the usual organ. Thankfully the SKX actually has some pretty nice wah clav patches in it, with decent edit-ability. 

Needing inspiration though - can anyone suggest some good wah clav solos/tunes where wah clav plays a prominent role? Doesn’t have to be reggae! 

Note: NOT whammy clav please, as I can’t pitch bend on the SKX 😅

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I started a whole thread about Clavinet Songs a few years ago.

Edit: Shortly after I started that thread, the editors at Wikipedia removed the "Notable Songs" section because they don't like lists for some reason. However, you can find that section by going into the page's history.

• Like 3

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Clav, Marley

Stir it Up

Coming in From the Cold

Get Up Stand Up

Later on when the Wailers were in the expanded band without Tosh and Livingston it wasn't used quite as much as it was early on with Lindo and Downie.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Love 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Shame the video isn't on YouTube anymore -- find it if you can -- but this is the audio of the same performance. Kofi Burbridge's playing on this Stevie Wonder cover was a game changer for me when I first heard it in college. He does the Stevie rhythmic funk clav thing, but he also goes beyond that and makes the instrument sing like a second guitar (complementing Derek Trucks brilliantly) in a way I hadn't heard previously. It really shaped my approach to playing clavinet. The whole performance is worth listening to, but Kofi's solo creeps in around 3:30.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.