Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to clean dirty sliders and pots on a keyboard?

Got a Motif XF7. Volume is starting to waver and crackle a bit.

What does everyone use to clean dirty keyboard/synth sliders and pots? Or am I taking it to a service center since they will have a magic elixir?

Tips and advice welcomed and thanks.

20240118_155200.jpg

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Depending on how handy you are and how attached you are to that keyboard, the best solution is to open her up and take the slider out, disassemble, clean, lube, and reinstall. If that gives you chills, I think most people just use a product like Deoxit FaderLube, spraying it lightly in the slider and working the slider up and down a bunch of times until it sounds free of static. Make sure there is some lube in the cleaner, or the feel of that slider will be horrible when done. Worth a shot before committing to opening it up. 

Or, be brave - open her up and give her the love. Clean out the dog hair and guitar picks while in there, too!

12 hours ago, My Keys And Me Are Vintage said:

Depending on how handy you are and how attached you are to that keyboard, the best solution is to open her up and take the slider out, disassemble, clean, lube, and reinstall. If that gives you chills, I think most people just use a product like Deoxit FaderLube, spraying it lightly in the slider and working the slider up and down a bunch of times until it sounds free of static. Make sure there is some lube in the cleaner, or the feel of that slider will be horrible when done. Worth a shot before committing to opening it up. 

Or, be brave - open her up and give her the love. Clean out the dog hair and guitar picks while in there, too!

I'll look for that stuff....and good advice thanks

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 1/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, The Real MC said:

DO NOT SPRAY WD40 IN POTS
DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING IN SLIDEPOTS UNLESS IT IS THE CORRECT CLEANER.

That's why I'm asking!

I am a big fan of DeoxIT products (and here in Spain they are pretty expensive and hard to get 🫤). I am using their D5 as a general purpose contact cleaner for decades. And then specific products, as the pots grease, which is what makes a pot work like new. But that ideally requires full pot disassembly, which I know is not suitable for everyone. And, of course, that works if the carbon trace has not been damaged.

All in all, use only a tiny amount of cleaner. You don't want to remove all the original grease of the pot, as that may cause a faster damage to the delicate conductive surface.

And, yes, NEVER USE WD40 on electronics. It may seem a good idea and even work for a while. But all pros will tell you it is not adequate (incidentally, I work daily fixing electronics since 1992 or so)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 9:33 PM, K K said:

Hi kpl1128, good little tutorial here.

oh this is great thank you