Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bleeps and Bloops

Some of the brethren disparage the sweet science of bleep and bloop noises but I wish I was more skilled at dialing that stuff in.  Some of my favorite artist use that stuff to great effect.

I always wanted to cover this when it was current but the bleeps and bloops were hard.  LOL  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link works for me. Always thought it was a great song, which set the tone for the Sopranos brilliantly.  I remember reading an article (In SOS maybe?) which explained the basic recipes:

quick envelope + self oscillating filter => kick

quick envelope +white noise => hats and snares.

Since then, the envelope decay is part of my audition routine for any new VA or analog synth. Still, I feel I am just dipping my toes in the water at the edge of a very big lake. Kinda like a guy who recycles a few pentatonic licks rather than learning real jazz vocabulary. 

I love this guy's vocabulary and his ability to improvise with it. Just like a good bebop player.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tusker said:

Link works for me. Always thought it was a great song, which set the tone for the Sopranos brilliantly. 

Can you give me some search terms? I might be able to find it elsewhere.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Can you give me some search terms? I might be able to find it elsewhere.

Cheers, Mike.

Sure. This and This are two different versions of the song Woke up this morning by the Alabama 3.

• Like 2

Sorry.  The tune was Woke up this Morning by Alabama 3.  I could have posted any number of A3 tunes.  They made good use of these types of sounds. I’m a fan of the group. This song is probably their best known in the States because of The Sopranos.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CEB said:

Some of the brethren disparage the sweet science of bleep and bloop noises but I wish I was more skilled at dialing that stuff in.  Some of my favorite artist use that stuff to great effect.

Me.  lol.  Actually, I think there are some people doing great, creative things with modular bleeps and bloops.  What chaps my ass is non-modular synth demos that rely heavily on single finger note holding while twisting knobs in a (subjectively) non-musical way.  But, as far as the modular landscape, Tangerine Dream really hooked me in during my younger years with their analog sequencer work.  

• Like 3

My first exposure to something like this that I thought was cool was probably Karn Evil 9.