Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Killer keyboard sounds that dominate a track!

46 minutes ago, vanderSchoot said:

Sorry I couldn’t resist 🤣

But it’s my own quick recording 

When you have a moment, could you share the tab for that? And from the tone I'd bet big $$$ that you recorded that on the original Nord Lead.

• Haha 2

The Wurlitzer on "What'd I Say" by Ray Charles.

The "steel drum" synth on Billy Joel's "All She Wants to Do is Dance."

I'd argue that the Mellotron on "Strawberry Fields Forever" was a huge "what's that?!" moment for that instrument, but after the intro it sort of falls back (appropriately) into the mix, so, debateable.

For a more recent, lesser-known track -- my pandemic favorite band, Dawes, broke out of their typical vintagey "piano, electric piano, Hammond" keyboard approach for 2016's "We're All Gonna Die," and the track "Roll with the Punches" is dominated by a heavily distorted Hohner Pianet hook. Lee Pardini always played it on overdriven Hammond on tour, but it's definitely a pianet on the record.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

One from the days when an instrumental could be played on the radio and become a huge hit.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

On 1/2/2024 at 9:50 PM, NewImprov said:

Thanks for posting this! I was a huge fan of Wall of Voodoo and his solo work back in the '80's, and haven't listened for far too long. Great stuff.

I used to love 'Don't Box Me In', from the soundtrack of 'Rumblefish', I believe.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Many good ones from Kate, but this theme synth line is now iconic.

The synth bass and keys in 'Big Dreamers Never Sleep'.

The wonderful phased EP in one ear, Hammond in the other, and great mono synth solo (Korg?)

The criminally underrated Mike Lindup, who had memorable synth sounds in so many songs, but this one jumps to mind:

• Like 3

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

5 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

The criminally underrated Mike Lindup, who had memorable synth sounds in so many songs

I love Level 42 and Lindup, but wasn't Wally Badarou key to their synth sounds as well? That percolating sequence in "Lessons in Love" is 100% pure Wally.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I love Level 42 and Lindup, but wasn't Wally Badarou key to their synth sounds as well? That percolating sequence in "Lessons in Love" is 100% pure Wally.

Cheers, Mike.

I don't know how much Wally contributed to the keyboard sounds, but I'm a huge fan of Lindup's playing and choice of sounds.

'Heaven In My Hands' is another good example. Great synth theme at the beginning, clav throughout, and that arpeggiating piano-like sound. (Gary Husband is a great drummer, but have you heard him play keyboards? 😲 He's Billy Cobham's keyboard player on tour)

And don't forget: Mike Lindup beat Rick Wakeman!!!!!!!  spacer.png

• Like 3

On 12/31/2023 at 10:20 AM, JohnDoe said:

Steve Winwood's Hammond on "Gimme some lovin".

This. And his solo stuff such as Arc Of A Diver, Don’t You Know What The Night Can Do, While You See A Chance, Valerie… 

• Like 3

Here for the gear.